Range test- Strike Anywhere Matches

This is a discussion on Range test- Strike Anywhere Matches within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; I miss the good ole days of the 1960's when Strike Anywhere Matches were something worth having. We hardly ever had one fail, and they ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Range test- Strike Anywhere Matches

VIP Member

I miss the good ole days of the 1960's when Strike Anywhere Matches were something worth having. We hardly ever had one fail, and they struck easily. It seems any rough place you tried, you'd get a good strong ignition; you could take them and throw them individually at the concrete and often light them. Use your zipper to light them- no problem. We used to put them down the muzzle of our empty BB guns and shoot them up at an angle to lob them out in the street. They'd often light when they hit. Great fun !

Fast forward to today and the SAM's seem rather puny. The sticks are more fragile and the head's seem less easy to successfully strike. I presume they "watered" the formula down to make them "more safe for us"? I'm sure the old one's did strike easier. I clearly remember once in the 7th grade this kid skipped school for a few minutes and went to a local convenience store and bought a box of kitchen matches (he may have gotten smokes too?). Apparently he dumped all the kitchen matches into his big right front coat pocket. During an assembly as he sat down, the pressure/tightness in that pocket caused some to strike, and triggering even more. Today, I clearly remember him running out of the room, smoke boiling out of his pocket, while he beat on that pocket with his hand, trying to stifle his pocket fireplace. No way to weasel out of that one with the teachers......caught red-handed.

When SAM's got puny I quit using them around here for the fireplace, grill, etc. I use one of those trigger operated butane lighters. However, I decided to get two different brands of kitchen type SAM's. One was Diamond brand and the other was Penley brand. I randomly counted out 20 matches from each brand.

The Diamond brand now has a green head, they look about the same, the wood seemed more fragile and the heads seemed a bit smaller. I tried the first ten on a classic strike off the concrete floor. I used each match carefully as if it were my last match. I got ten ignitions, I did note (from memory) that the head burn slower these days. One of the ten, the stick broke, even as careful as I was. I used the other ten for trying out my pants zipper and I got ten lights. They did okay, but to me they definitely are more fragile and punier burning heads. I got 20/20 lights but had to go carefully and easier with them.

The Penly brand had a red head with about the same fragile wood. I was encouraged with that red color, the color reminded me of the old SAM's, so somehow I felt more hopeful. I got ten good strikes off the concrete. I tried ten more for the zipper strike test, and they failed with only 4/10 striking successfully.

So there you have it I spent a few minutes "playing with matches" today. I think the days of the good SAM are long gone.
    Attached Images
    Aceoky, msgt/ret, Pete63 and 2 others like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    i learned a trick once... cut the heads off an entire box of strike anywhere matches, cut a slit in a tennis ball, stuff the tennis ball full of those match heads, duct tape it closed, and throw it at.....whatever.......and.....BANG!!

what you need are weatherproof survival matches...

Amazon.com: Fantastic Wind & Waterproof Survival Matches: 2 Packs of 20 Matches Each In Waterproof Containers = 40 Matches & Two Waterproof Holders!: Sports & Outdoors
    StormRhydr likes this.

Can't say first hand, but have heard the Redbird matches from Canada on ebay are like the SAM's from yesteryear.

VIP Member
    Thanks for the info, I already have these for the serious need for a reliable match, but it's a shame to use those on the simple campfire, grill or brushpile that the old SAM's would easily do.

Lot of 3 Green UCO Stormproof Match Kits Windproof Waterproof Survival Matches | eBay

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Can't say first hand, but have heard the Redbird matches from Canada on ebay are like the SAM's from yesteryear.
    Thanks, and good idea, I had never heard of those. I just looked on ebay and found them for 3000 matches for $50. Darn that's a LOT of matches to buy. I'll have to think about that, I wonder how my family would like a box of nice matches for Christmas?
    Aceoky and msgt/ret like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Ten boxes of 300 each isn't so many. But $50 for 10 boxes is steep in my book. SAM's run around 2 bucks for 3 boxes here. Still all in all considering the BS Christmas presents I've gotten over the years from my family TBT I'd prefer something practical I could actually use.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    Good thread. I too believe matches are not up to standard these days. The old Diamond brand quality is lacking. I've had entire packages, not just a single box, that worked poorly. Zippo lighters are still made with quality, thankfully.
    Aceoky and msgt/ret like this.

I can't really attest to a decline in the quality of Diamond matches. I pulled a ton out of my Grandmother's house and am still working my way through them. No way of telling how old they are but they look pretty old to me.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

About a year ago, I looked everywhere around here for some strike anywhere matches and could not find any! They use to be sold everywhere when I was a kid, but then they became "dangerous" so they had to be "made safe" (so idiots couldn't start accidental fires and hurt themselves). Finally a couple of months ago I ran into some at a Rural King. Three big boxes packages together for $3.99, I think. I grabbed a package, naturally. I do think they are not as sturdy as the "old fashioned" ones my grandparents and parents use to have many, many years ago.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Reminded me of my early days, as a smoker. I used to strike them on the back of my leg/ jeans, like I saw in the old westerns.
    darbo, ctr and Aceoky like this.

Thats funny. I just found these in a closet a few days ago. We've only lived here for 3 years and I find all kinds of old stuff. Theyre at least 30 years old , and still strike right away

darbo likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I miss the good ole days of the 1960's when Strike Anywhere Matches were something worth having. We hardly ever had one fail, and they struck easily. It seems any rough place you tried, you'd get a good strong ignition; you could take them and throw them individually at the concrete and often light them. Use your zipper to light them- no problem. We used to put them down the muzzle of our empty BB guns and shoot them up at an angle to lob them out in the street. They'd often light when they hit. Great fun !
    That brings back a memory, my cousin lit one on his zipper but the head broke off as it lit, you should have seen him running and slapping his crotch at the same time to put out the fire. Fortunately he got it put out before any damage was done. I have shot them out of a BB gun also on the hard clay roads in Kentucky just to watch them light.
    ctr and JDE101 like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Alright, as previously mentioned, I got my hands on some Redbird brand matches (Canada?). I did the third test using these and got pretty much got the same result and opinion as the other two brands I tested previously. Just like the other brands, the wooden stick seems puny, and the chemical recipe for the matchhead seems puny. Here are my results on the attached photo of the zipper test and strike-on-the-concrete test. Ultimately, my summation is a predictable "PUNY" for all of the brands. Nothing like the strike anywhere matches of "old days". They do work fairly well, but just not as hardy. Okay, I'm not going to complain or gripe about it anymore, and without looking back, I'm movin' on. There are better fire-lighters available overall.
    Attached Images
    Aceoky likes this.

Alright, as previously mentioned, I got my hands on some Redbird brand matches (Canada?). I did the third test using these and got pretty much got the same result and opinion as the other two brands I tested previously. Just like the other brands, the wooden stick seems puny, and the chemical recipe for the matchhead seems puny. Here are my results on the attached photo of the zipper test and strike-on-the-concrete test. Ultimately, my summation is a predictable "PUNY" for all of the brands. Nothing like the strike anywhere matches of "old days". They do work fairly well, but just not as hardy. Okay, I'm not going to complain or gripe about it anymore, and without looking back, I'm movin' on. There are better fire-lighters available overall.
    Yeah I've noticed the puny-ness of them all as well. I've just made a habit over the years of keeping my finger near the match head to keep from braking the cheap wooden sticks during strike attempt.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

They sure ain't what they used to be
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    yep.

remember magnesium/flint starter bars?? how fun are those...
    "micro" torches?
    BIC lighters work great, until wet
    blah, blah, blah...

i am too lazy to hike far enough to be an "ounces = pain" worry-wort. so when i "camp" these days =drive somewhere remote and pitch a tent) so i make fire easy....

this may be heavy and less-than-elegant, but i find myself less concerned about starting a fire with wet wood, or bothering with tinder as much....

220px-Aa_propaneblowlamp_00.jpg
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links