Food

This is a discussion on Food within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm in the process of assembling a 72-hour/bug out bag, and I've hit a minor roadblock. Specifically, food. I'm looking for 1 or 2 serving ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Food

Food

I'm in the process of assembling a 72-hour/bug out bag, and I've hit a minor roadblock. Specifically, food.

I'm looking for 1 or 2 serving meals that can be prepped on a basic alcohol stove. I can fall back to MREs if need be, but I'm hoping for something a big more compact. I keep trying things, but what I'm finding is almost always 4+ servings per package, and requires boiling/simmering for 20 minutes.

So far the best I'm finding are Lipton soup packets, which can be prepped in about 5 minutes for a 2-3 serving size, but I'd like a bit more variety. (Who wants 2-3 cups of chicken noodle soup, 3 meals a day for 3 days?)

2. Remove Ads

Tuna steaks in a bag are pretty good. I am not 100% sure how long shelf life is but they are already cooked. They are by the caned tuna in the stores.

Old Truck driver Survival kit(For winter driving) I had a 6 pack of Sterno, Canned baked beans, Chef Boyardee (or Spaghetti-O's) & Vienna Sausage.
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice View Post
    I'm in the process of assembling a 72-hour/bug out bag, and I've hit a minor roadblock. Specifically, food.

I'm looking for 1 or 2 serving meals that can be prepped on a basic alcohol stove. I can fall back to MREs if need be, but I'm hoping for something a big more compact. I keep trying things, but what I'm finding is almost always 4+ servings per package, and requires boiling/simmering for 20 minutes.

So far the best I'm finding are Lipton soup packets, which can be prepped in about 5 minutes for a 2-3 serving size, but I'd like a bit more variety. (Who wants 2-3 cups of chicken noodle soup, 3 meals a day for 3 days?)
    Wise Foods, Food Supply Depot, Alpine Aire Foods and Natural High all make pretty good food in pouches. Most entrees are 2 servings but you can buy single servings in larger quantity packages of single serve pouches. Breakfasts and deserts are also sold by these companies.
    WrongRecroom and Aceoky like this.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

It's been a while since I had any first hand experience to offer on this subject. This may offer more current info: Backpacker Magazine - Search

I really think the freeze dried backpacking foods that SIGP250 mentions are the way to go. You don't really cook them. You boil water, add it to the plastic pouch, insert the pouch into the foil wrapper, close and let it "cook". They really are quite tasty IMHO. If you're worried about portion size, you could buy a #10 can and make your own size although I have never done this myself. It seems like it would work for an immediate trip but I would worry about shelf life in a bug-out bag. Most of the backpacker meals state they serve two but I never had any problem eating the whole thing myself and I am not a large person.

Seventy two hours doesn't seem long enough to get sick of freezed dried backpacking fare but I do recall that mixing in other foods was a welcome change back in the day. We didn't have tuna steaks in a pouch but I've got it in my bag now. GORP, power bars, heck I even have in a 5-hour energy. We are truly blessed with many options unlike our forefathers who had pemmican. Lol
    StormRhydr, Aceoky and SIGP250 like this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Aceoky and Caertaker like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    I have been truly disappointed with WISE Foods these days.

Go with Mountain House.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The weather is going to start getting a bit more reasonable here & hopefully SOON.
    So...my latest Mountain House order just arrived today as a matter of fact.
    I am really looking forward to getting out and about.
    No matter what the groundhog sez...the Mountain House delivery lets me know that some good times in the great outdoors are in the not too distant future.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member
    Mountain House is much better than Wise, IMO!
    QKShooter likes this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Mountain House is my choice.

Consider including a few food items that enhance meals:

Idahoan Mashed Potatoes (they make several different flavors)
    Idahoan Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes - Walmart.com

Knorr Pasta Sides (they make several different flavors)
    Knorr Pasta Sides - Walmart.com

Knorr Rice Sides (they make several different flavors)
    Knorr Chicken Rice Sides - Walmart.com

You don't have to make the entire package...Pack a few ziplock bags so you can seal the unused portion of the packages.
    QKShooter and Aceoky like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Administrator
    Has anybody tried the Freeze Dried Ice Cream sandwiches yet? I have not.

Since I just got a PM asking me...I will just post an answer here.

Where do I buy my Mountain House?

I go to ebay. I search Mountain House - U.S. Only - Buy It Now - Lowest Price + Shipping...and I pick the first seller with the lowest price and a good feedback rating.
    I pay with payPal - Done!

Yes, I still use PayPal even though they do not allow firearm transactions. It is ultra convenient and I do not like typing my Credit Card #s on various assorted web sites and I like PayPal because sellers get paid instantly VIA my Credit Card but, do not have access to my actual card #.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I've eaten mre's 4 times a day for 21 days straight. On numerous occasions. It is food for survival--f you read "how to stay alive in the woods" by bradford angier he drives the point home that many people have died in the woods just because they were picky. I wouldn't worry so much about the boring part and would worry about a good calorie to weight ratio (its survival food for 3 days, no one is goin on a diet in this kind of scenario). MREs are packed in a tremendously inneficient manner--you can open the main pouches, strip out all the cardboard, and get 3 meals into the space of one. - am used to working in the far off places, on burning mountaintops where resupply is not often to be had, weight is a concern, and calorie expenditure is huge. Rats will keep you running, and for 3 days you can make due with 5 and not materially weaken your effectiveness.
    Aceoky, Caertaker and ccw9mm like this.
    They think they don't need firearms because they never have needed them.

"God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal (more or less)."

Practice makes perfect.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Beef jerky, powdered milk, marsh mellows which makes good bait for squirrels and a back country water filter system and old fashion water bag,have that in car right now.

I KEEP several of those very items in my backpack - fast , easy, very good out at camp!

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Mountain House is my choice.

Consider including a few food items that enhance meals:

Idahoan Mashed Potatoes (they make several different flavors)
    Idahoan Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes - Walmart.com

Knorr Pasta Sides (they make several different flavors)
    Knorr Pasta Sides - Walmart.com

Knorr Rice Sides (they make several different flavors)
    Knorr Chicken Rice Sides - Walmart.com

You don't have to make the entire package...Pack a few ziplock bags so you can seal the unused portion of the packages.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

You can also find Mountain House products at sporting and outdoor stores in the camping section.
    QKShooter likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by FireNerd View Post
    I've eaten mre's 4 times a day for 21 days straight. On numerous occasions. It is food for survival--f you read "how to stay alive in the woods" by bradford angier he drives the point home that many people have died in the woods just because they were picky. I wouldn't worry so much about the boring part and would worry about a good calorie to weight ratio (its survival food for 3 days, no one is goin on a diet in this kind of scenario). MREs are packed in a tremendously inneficient manner--you can open the main pouches, strip out all the cardboard, and get 3 meals into the space of one. - am used to working in the far off places, on burning mountaintops where resupply is not often to be had, weight is a concern, and calorie expenditure is huge. Rats will keep you running, and for 3 days you can make due with 5 and not materially weaken your effectiveness.
    that book is a classic. To reply to the OP, you're going away for three days and are going to carry an alcohol stove, and a bunch of heavy cans, etc. Not sure you'll get far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links