Food Storage

This is a discussion on Food Storage within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've got a bunch of rice, beans and spaghetti to store. They're all packaged in plastic but I see people using "food grade" buckets to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Food Storage

Food Storage

I've got a bunch of rice, beans and spaghetti to store. They're all packaged in plastic but I see people using "food grade" buckets to store things like this.

-Are buckets necessary or can anything airtight work?

-If buckets are best, are food grade buckets necessary or can I just get some regular 5gal from somewhere like tractor supply?

-any other options?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I properly packaged I would think any bucket would do. I have a food saver machine that vacuum seals items for long term storage and freezing, in your case I would remove from the packaging and vacuum seal the items and store in any container.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Senior Moderator
    The most important thing is to have an air tight seal around the bucket. Look for buckets with good gaskets.

If you store things in a dry environment and you have something to remove some of the oxygen from the bucket before you seal it up food will keep for a long time.
    Aceoky likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Another consideration is keeping bugs and rodents from them in "bad times" (that is one major reason folks use buckets IMO)
    Badey likes this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

For storing food items use DOT food grade containers whether that be buckets or drums. If you have Mormon friends and the Mormon church has a food warehouse nearby here's what you do. Get 6 or 7 friends together to buy bulk items.

Repackage bulk items in #10 cans or 5 gallon buckets using oxygen absorbers. At the Mormon warehouse near me it takes 6 folks as there are 6 steps to fill and seal a #10 can. Bring cash in the correct amount as some don't like to/can't make change.
    Caertaker likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

If you have the rice in vacuum sealed bags, food-grade buckets aren't necessary; any unused bucket will do.

The purpose of the bucket it to further protect the food from light and pests...

If the rice in plastic bags is not vacuum sealed, then you might want to rethink your approach or put an oxygen absorber in the bags before you put the bags in a bucket.

If you are putting the rice directly in the bucket, you should use a food-grade bucket.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Aceoky likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Administrator
    You can buy Oxygen Absorbers in vaccuum sealed plastic on ebay and they have a color change indicator with the package to let you know that they are fresh absorbers.

Get all of your food containers ready and quickly take the absorbers that you will need and hurry up and seal the remainder in a glass Mason jar.

If you think you'll need one absorber per container then put in two.

It's cheap insurance because some Oxygen will eventually leach through all plastic containers.

Use heavy MYLAR bags inside plastic containers if possible.

Remember that White Rice keeps much better than Brown Rice.
    Patti, Caertaker, Aceoky and 3 others like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member
    Check around your local deli's and restaurants. Food grade buckets may be had for a couple of dollars or free.
    Just need to wash them out before using.
    marcclarke likes this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Food Storage

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    You can buy Oxygen Absorbers in vaccuum sealed plastic on ebay and they have a color change indicator with the package to let you know that they are fresh absorbers.

Get all of your food containers ready and quickly take the absorbers that you will need and hurry up and seal the remainder in a glass Mason jar.

If you think you'll need one absorber per container then put in two.

It's cheap insurance because some Oxygen will eventually leach through all plastic containers.

Use heavy MYLAR bags inside plastic containers if possible.

Remember that White Rice keeps much better than Brown Rice.
    +1 on the Mylar bags.

To store rice I:

1. get a 6 gallon Mylar bag.
    2. put the bag in a 5 gallon bucket.
    3. Fill bag with rice.
    4. Put oxygen absorber in bag
    5. Seal most of bag using an iron on the linen setting and ironing the Mylar shut (I use a level to sandwich the Mylar between it and the iron)
    6. Put vacuum cleaner hose in remaining opening. Suck out excess air.
    7. Seal remaining opening.
    8. Seal bucket.

This should keep rice for 25 years +, as long as it is stored in a cool place.
    Caertaker likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    I properly packaged I would think any bucket would do. I have a food saver machine that vacuum seals items for long term storage and freezing, in your case I would remove from the packaging and vacuum seal the items and store in any container.
    This^^^^^^

Vacuum seal all your dry foods before storage!
    "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Lewis

Administrator
    Some of you folks may want to store various foodstuffs like rice, beans, etc. on a smaller scale. Great! Do that.

Buy Large Mouth Glass Mason Canning Jars and use those with Oxygen Absorbers and just keep the jars in a dark place like a spare closet or the basement.

Pop an Oxygen Absorber in the bottom of the jar fill the jar to the top with rice, beans, whatever...fill it to the top lay on another absorber and screw the lid on tight. You are DONE!

If you do not have a dark spot to store the jars then wrap them in Aluminum foil to make them light proof and you can always re-purpose that foil later on also.

Cases of new glass jars are not cheap BUT, think of how valuable canning jars in "like new" perfect condition will be at some future SHTF time.

Administrator
    Even if you live in a small apartment you can put up a case or two of glass jars - of beans, rice, noodles, oatmeal, sugar, etc. in sealed glass jars and you can stretch that out for weeks and at least stay alive holed up for much longer than you might believe.
    Aceoky likes this.

Thanks all. At the moment I only have about 30lbs of white rice, 5lbs of brown rice (which I'd really rather have for health reasons but doesn't store as long), and 8-10lbs of beans. I've also got some pasta to store and will be buying some more of this stuff in the coming weeks. I think my best bet for now is gonna be the mylar bags in regular buckets and to get some canning jars.

Quote Originally Posted by PJR202 View Post
    Thanks all. At the moment I only have about 30lbs of white rice, 5lbs of brown rice (which I'd really rather have for health reasons but doesn't store as long), and 8-10lbs of beans. I've also got some pasta to store and will be buying some more of this stuff in the coming weeks. I think my best bet for now is gonna be the mylar bags in regular buckets and to get some canning jars.
    If you are going the Mylar bag route, here is where I got mine.

http://mylarpro.com/

I wouldn't bother getting the oxygen absorbers. They come in one vacuum sealed pack, so if you open, you have to use them all at once. Just get some hand warmers. They are the exact same thing.
    Aceoky likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links