Fitness training

Fitness training

This is a discussion on Fitness training within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; I always hear people talk about supplies, gear, survival packs, etc, but no one ever talks about what they do to ensure they can CARRY ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Fitness training

Fitness training

I always hear people talk about supplies, gear, survival packs, etc, but no one ever talks about what they do to ensure they can CARRY all that stuff if they had to. I think one of the best contributions I make to my survival, whether SHTF or not is to work out HARD every day. Nothing fancy, just old fashioned cardio/plyometrics and resistance training like planks, push ups, pull ups, ab work, etc. Do y'all work out and if so, what do you do?

I may not be marine tough, but if I had to run up a long hill with a 50 lb pack on my back? Yeah, Im up for it.

I am short and carry too many pounds. I run 20 miles a week. Can handle most stuff. I do it mostly because I have a 12 yo daughter.
    BigShrek likes this.

not in the competitve martial arts level of fitness anymore. but i'm still above average for this nation...

Edit- i think this is a good post. important.
    Sky Pilot and BigShrek like this.

Distinguished Member
    Do a daily routine with kettle bells. Planks, etc. Still run 2 miles in under 22 minutes. 5"-11"/170 pounds, trim build.
    I routinely run with at least 25 pound pack (BOB weight). Not bad for a 69 year old. Reality would have another 35 pounds.
    It's fun leaving grandkids in the dust after about 1/2 mile. Still practice tracking skills and fieldcraft. The kids love that!
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

I work out 4-5 days a week. I mix up cardio on an elliptical, treadmill with incline, and bicycle riding when the weather cooperates. I do some weight lifting and almost every day I do push ups. I am 55 and in far better shape than most people 35 and above.

"Body by science" work out.

Down 115 lbs and in the best shape of my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Echo_Four, Betty and JaxRolo like this.
    "Ours is the only country deliberately founded on a good idea." ~John Gunther

ran a 24:10 5K recently....4 months.

I do a lot of bodyweight exercises (push-ups, pull ups, burpees). I've been slacking on the running as of late because of the cold, though.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    Weight train and abdominals 3 to 5 days per week depending on schedule and try to run 20 miles or more, usually on an elliptical to save on leg wear.
    Last edited by RickyD; February 13th, 2014 at 11:34 AM.

Bodyweight routine 4-5 times a week. I walk a lot, ruck over the bridge(5mile round trip amd steep), and run sprints once a week.
    I like the results from bodyweight training- very functional and makes your muscles hard and dense. Some claim that bodyweight exercises cannot allow enough resistance, try a planche pushup or muscleups, or pistols.
    Anyone that wants to learn about different exercises would do well with Mark Lauren's You Are Your Own Gymn. It has many different exercises from beginner to advanced. There are also routines for 4 different levels, 20-30 minutes/4-5 days a week. I like how the workouts keep changing and progressing, keeps me from getting bored.
    And no, I cannot do a planche pushup, yet.

VIP Member
    Right now i'm doing testing on many different foods to pack for on the go should have that worked out in a couple months .

Can do most things but have to work on the body ,way out of shape .
    Sister likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Mostly weight lifting. Lots of compound stuff (bench, dead lift, etc) and a little of the lower power stuff. It's far too cold for me to care about running, but I will when it warms up a bit.

Peter Zane (Scooby) offers great advice for all experience levels on his website: Scooby's Workshop | Home Fitness & Bodybuilding Workouts. He tells it like it is and it's a great place to start if you're looking to do weight training.
    MMinSC likes this.

I am 67 with arthritis, I have porters standing by.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

I do 4 or 5 hours of cardio every week and some weights a couple of days a week. I agree that this is an oft-overlooked aspect being prepared for a SHTF scenario.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    First, SPECTACULAR that somebody linked to Scooby. He's a bit of "bro-science" but I really like the guy. So much that I pay for access to his website that was created after a doxing incident. He ended up keeping just about everything free but I figure he's earned the few bucks a month I send his way. All the protein powder that dude eats has to be expensive! (As far as Peter Zane goes, read this.)

I have tried to broach the subject of fitness on this forum before. I was attacked pretty ruthlessly by several people (some of the PM"s I received were pretty noteworthy) and heard a lot of "I don't need to be in shape, that's why I have a gun!" Fitness is important for combatives, for general health, and is the number one thing you can do to "prep" for a SHTF scenario. Sadly our society doesn't value physical fitness and if what many of us think is looming happens they're in for a world of hurt.

I don't lift as seriously as I used to. My fitness plan comes from Mark's Daily Apple more or less. Move regularly, sprint sometimes, and lift heavy things. I walk daily (four miles through the snow today), sprint one to three times per week (depends how my beat up body is feeling), and lift 3 times one week and 2 times the next. As I continue to recover from some injuries the lifting frequency and intensity will increase but I'll likely never lift six days a week like I used to.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links