Can anyone identify these tanks?

This is a discussion on Can anyone identify these tanks? within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not sure what size these are. Someone said they might be 100 gallon. They feed a ventless heater that isn't used often. I want to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Can anyone identify these tanks?

Can anyone identify these tanks?

Not sure what size these are. Someone said they might be 100 gallon. They feed a ventless heater that isn't used often. I want to disconnect one and set it up to run my new generator. I'd like to know how many pounds one of these holds, and I need to figure out how to disconnect one if it's possible to do and be able to cap that contraption someone made, or if I need to get something else, plus I'd like to have a gauge on both. Not looking to have all these questions answered necessarily. Mostly I'd like to know the size and weight.
    As always, your input is most appreciated. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

Not sure what you need to know. They are old LP tanks owned by one of the home owners they look like 40 gallon tanks. You can check to see if leaking by using soapy water around valves see if any bubbles if not ok to use. Any dealer in area will service them.

They're my tanks, installed by the previous owner I guess. I use them for a heater but I don't see any reason to use both. Unless someone knows otherwise, I don't think it would hurt anything to disconnect one. Maybe I could just rig it up so that I could quickly disconnect one and connect a regulator to run to my generator. If like a gauge on both of them though. I don't use the heater very much so I haven't had them filled in a couple years.

Or maybe I could just order a third one and save myself the hassle?

Should be able to disconnect one and get everything you need to hook it up at a supply house or store that deals in LP gas stuff.I would get a picture of the setup now with the regulator and lines and they an then sell you what you need to change everything out
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    If they are around 4 feet high, they are 100#der's.
    We use them at hunt camp for lights and cooking stove.
    Soon some new LED low voltage lights will replace the lighting aspect,

You may want to get another one, as you will run through a bit of propane powering a generator.
    What will you run the generator for?
    Water pump, lights?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Just a side note without looking at the regulator valve I can't tell but usually the regulator valve will use one bottle until it is empty then switch to the next bottle and have an indicator you need to fill one or you can disconnect one take it and have it filled and put back in the system. That way you do not disrupt the service and have to bleed the air and relight the pilot and all the other stuff involved. I almost bet it has a switch in the regulator.

Bill
    Aceoky likes this.

If it's been more than 12 years (I think), the tanks will have to have a hydrostatic pressure test before they can be refilled. The date of the last pressure test should be stamped on the tank around the shoulder.

Scaling off the photos, I'm guessing these are 35 or 50 gallon tanks, which at 4.2 lbs/gallon for LP suggests they'll hold 100-200 pounds of LP. Measure the tank height from the actual bottom of the tank (i.e., eliminate the sheet metal collar on the bottom) to where the regulator/valve attaches, and measure the diameter (or circumference). There are a few companies that make tanks in the US and it should be simple enough to identify the tank from its external dimensions.

I assume your generator is set up to run on LP gas - do you know what the consumption rate is?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks all. I haven't had a chance to do more decoding but I did find the tare weight is 91lbs. That doesn't tell me the gas capacity but it's a start. I'll take the measurements that were suggested.

I bought a Generac LP series @ 3750 (3200) watts. It runs 10 hours @ 1/2 load on a regular grill tank (20lbs of LP). If I had say, 72 hours of run time that would keep me going quite a while. I'd be running the fridge (1100w), a small window AC and a few lamps in summer and in winter I would only need it for lights, the fridge/freezer (only if it got over 40 degrees outside), and possibly a space heater in the bathroom. I'm still trying to decide about my cooking abilities. I gave a grill with side burner and could use the microwave alternated with something bigger. I can also power my washer and dryer individually from the 220 outlet. I would only need any of these for limited amounts of time.

I looked at larger models in my price range ($400) but they were junk, then I upped my range to $600 and propane and chose a slightly lower powered but better quality Generac over the other options. Ended up at 650 delivered but I'm ok with that knowing I can count on it to start..lol

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Those look to me like 30 gallon tanks. The W.C. # at the valve end is how many Cubic Inches of water it will hold. That type of valve has a dip tube that when the air bleed is open will spit liquid when the tank is 80% full. That 20% at the top is for expansion in warmer weather. In hot weather I can get only 24 gallons in them but in cold I can get 27 or 28 gallons. The larger tanks don't require the 12 year inspections that the smaller ones do. But they are required to be kept with minimal rust on the exterior. To separate them you will just need to remove the tee, and reconnect just the one tank. Good Luck DR

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Looking at the photos, that set up will use either or both tanks depending on how many valves are open. It's pretty basic.
    I would bracket the regulator to the wall and replace the tubing to the tanks with the correct LP hoses. The tank on the right needs to be moved onto the slab. Hanging off ,like it is, is a disaster waiting to happen. You should be able to tee the system to power the generator without a problem.

The tare wt of 91# refers to the empty weight of the tank.

Having the tanks tested and re-certified would be the prudent thing to do. It may be time to look at a horizontal tank.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

I had enemy vehicle identification flashbacks when I read the title. T-72, Drill Sergeant!
    Aceoky likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

If anyone figures it out, be sure to tell them TANKS A LOT!
    welder516 likes this.

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    If it's been more than 12 years (I think), the tanks will have to have a hydrostatic pressure test before they can be refilled. The date of the last pressure test should be stamped on the tank around the shoulder.

Scaling off the photos, I'm guessing these are 35 or 50 gallon tanks, which at 4.2 lbs/gallon for LP suggests they'll hold 100-200 pounds of LP. Measure the tank height from the actual bottom of the tank (i.e., eliminate the sheet metal collar on the bottom) to where the regulator/valve attaches, and measure the diameter (or circumference). There are a few companies that make tanks in the US and it should be simple enough to identify the tank from its external dimensions.

I assume your generator is set up to run on LP gas - do you know what the consumption rate is?

+1. Those tanks look a LITTLE old and you wouldn't want one blowing up.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    You could probably get more definitive info from your local LP distributor.

(+1 on the hydro.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links