Good Affordable Wood Stove

This is a discussion on Good Affordable Wood Stove within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm going to be getting a wood stove for back-up heat sometime this year. The ones I have seen at Tractor Supply Co. are about ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Good Affordable Wood Stove

Good Affordable Wood Stove

I'm going to be getting a wood stove for back-up heat sometime this year. The ones I have seen at Tractor Supply Co. are about $600, but they are capable of heating 2000 sq. ft.

Does anyone have any recommendations (I don't know much about wood stoves)?
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

2. Remove Ads

I heat my shop with wood and I have a old stove that is built to last. You will pry spend just as much on the flu system as you do on the stove, that crap is NOT cheap. My advice is don't go cheap and make sure it's installed right and you might wanna check with your insurance agent first, some place will charge you out the wazoo for a wood burner in the house or they might cancel your policy

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paullie View Post
    I heat my shop with wood and I have a old stove that is built to last. You will pry spend just as much on the flu system as you do on the stove, that crap is NOT cheap. My advice is don't go cheap and make sure it's installed right and you might wanna check with your insurance agent first, some place will charge you out the wazoo for a wood burner in the house or they might cancel your policy

Best advice EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Administrator
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Make sure you get an EPA approved one.
    DontTreadOnI likes this.

Administrator
    I have a vintage one in my basement that is really close to the one I have posted above.

Mine has a plain flat solid top and there is a small adjustable air inlet in the bottom front.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I wanted to get one because I have four wooded acres and trees coming down in storms quite often. I checked with my insurance agent and he told me he could not get a policy for a log home with a wood stove or fireplace. I dropped the idea for now, but there are other log homes I have seen that have chimneys with smoke pouring out during the Winter, so .....
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Here is one that is EPA certified.

Rocket EPA-Certified Wood Stove 40,000 BTU, Model# DB03185 | Wood Stoves| Northern Tool + Equipment

40,000 BTU using the standard formula of 20 btu/sq ft would be correct for your area.

Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    Here is one that is EPA certified.

Rocket EPA-Certified Wood Stove 40,000 BTU, Model# DB03185 | Wood Stoves| Northern Tool + Equipment

40,000 BTU using the standard formula of 20 btu/sq ft would be correct for your area.
    Do I have to have an EPA approved stove? I'd rather have one that wasn't.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Thumbs up Northern Tool

QKS: You can cook on top of that Vogelzang too. Plus all of that cast iron is one heavy heat sink. 130 pounds worth! Dutch Oven baking too!

I've been real happy with Northern Tool equipment too. One of my favorites is my 3/4" Drive Socket set. Up to 3' sockets. The Breaker Bar is 30" long and 8 pounds.

Check your City/County Building Code.
    Aceoky and QKShooter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Do you "have" to? No. But if you want to sell the house in the future it would be a good idea. Also depending on your state you might be able to get some tax credits for one, PA does not look like one that gives credits or that it is currently required for EPA certified stove. But more states will start picking up the standard and in the future selling a home with a non-certified might be difficult. Also you can get them without too much higher prices so I don't see why you wouldn't want to.

Distinguished Member
    I had a "country flame" wood stove once. It was great, but kinda pricy. The thing had a catalytic grid in the top of the stove, when it got hot enough it would burn the gasses from the wood smoke and really start to heat. I bet it will last forever.
    miller_man likes this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    Do you "have" to? No. But if you want to sell the house in the future it would be a good idea. Also depending on your state you might be able to get some tax credits for one, PA does not look like one that gives credits or that it is currently required for EPA certified stove. But more states will start picking up the standard and in the future selling a home with a non-certified might be difficult. Also you can get them without too much higher prices so I don't see why you wouldn't want to.
    I don't know much about wood stoves, but It seems to me that the EPA stoves would work kind of like my 1.6 gallon flush toilet and my reduced-flow shower head (not as well as the original, non-regulated products).

However, the resale aspect and the tax credit aspect are things I hadn't considered.
    ctr likes this.

WILL the EPA (later on of course) cause one to keep it within (changing and expensive of course) guidelines at the owners expense? I'd guess a Non EPA stove could not be made to fall under such future regulations (Ex Post Facto Law)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
    WILL the EPA (later on of course) cause one to keep it within (changing and expensive of course) guidelines at the owners expense? I'd guess a Non EPA stove could not be made to fall under such future regulations (Ex Post Facto Law)

Any problems with a non compliant EPA stove will result in a flat denial of any damage claims due to fire or related conditions.

The company that cleans the chimney for me would not clean mine because it did not meet EPA standards.

Do as you wish, but this might be one time to follow what the insurance company says.

Good luck from cloudy and 50 degree weather in Lebanon, Oregon TKH

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links