Camping /Severe Weather

This is a discussion on Camping /Severe Weather within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; We've been under tornado watch all day with many warnings issued - got me to wondering how many have actually been out in the woods ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Camping /Severe Weather

Arrow Camping /Severe Weather

We've been under tornado watch all day with many warnings issued - got me to wondering how many have actually been out in the woods during severe weather - experiences etc.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

2. Remove Ads

Not during a tornado, but I have been out during severe thunderstorms.

Also, it wasn't in the woods, but I have been living in a tent through some pretty bad sand storms too.
    Aceoky, gatorbait51 and QKShooter like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I call that severe weather!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

I have been hiking in some bad thunderstorms. Never tornado or microburst kind of weather, though.
    Aceoky, gatorbait51 and QKShooter like this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I have been camping in severe T-storms and a tornado while living in OK. Fortunately we were on the leeward side of the mountain. We actually thought about breaking camp & driving 20mi into town. It's a good thing we didn't though because the next day when we went to town to dry out our soaked clothes & sleeping bags, we discovered the top floor of the motel we would've stayed at was ripped completely off by the storm.

-

I have been in a fair number of thunderstorms in tents before, but never a tornado. Never had a tent flooded. Though I have dug rain trenches around them, when needed.
    gatorbait51, Aceoky and QKShooter like this.

Lead Moderator
    Camped in snowstorms, thunderstorms and once a tornado hit about 10 miles south of where we were. Strong wind and lots of rain but no trees down where we were.
    Aceoky and QKShooter like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

We lived out in the Aleutian Islands in the late 80's. Several of us with kids (who wanted to experience a severe storm while camping) headed out into the tundra and set up two tents and spent a night in a 50-60 mph rain/snow/sleet 'severe' storm. We survived, but the kids didn't want to do THAT again.
    Aceoky, QKShooter and srings like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

North end of lake of the woods in Canada had just made it to truck tree fell on tent missed truck by couple of feet, nobody hurt just really wet. Rode out rest of storm used clothes to patch up tent as best we could made it another 4 days. We couldnt leave the lake trout where hitting like crazy.

I was camping in northeast OK for a family reunion last summer during all their tornadoes. Had 2-3 touch-downs within about 10 miles, spent a few hours up at the shower house that day...

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    While in the Air Force, we camped at Truman Lake one spring weekend in 1982 or 1983. We had not heard a weather report for a couple of days into the trip. About the third night a squall line of severe thunderstorms rolled through the area. Blew over our tent and we headed for the cars.

After the trip and back at Whiteman we learned that the area we were in was under a tornado warning with several touchdowns in our immediate area. We didn't see anything as it was dark, but we did hear a lot of wind. I don't want to say it sounded like a freight train, but it wasn't far from it. This was near Warsaw, Missouri.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

My severe-weather woods story:

I was on a Boy Scout summer camp overnight hike eons ago in the Northwest hills of NJ, on a part of the Appalachian Trail. Beastly hot, muggy day, and in the late afternoon the sky turned silvery gray, then almost clergy-flannel gray. Distant rumblings of thunder, then the rain started, and before we could get the ponchos out of our packs, we were soaked - the rain was that sudden and that intense. We were in thick second-growth woods, with tall trees on either side of the trail forming a canopy over us. The thunder got closer and closer, and than BLAM - I didn't see a flash, but there was a deafening explosion and we were all showered with a spray of shredded wood, bark and leaves. Before we had a chance to collect our thoughts, another BLAM and a second tree got hit. At that point we all hit the deck and started praying, swearing and crying. Well, the thunder was gone within a couple of minutes and we slowly picked ourselves up. Two trees, neither more than a foot in diameter, had been hit by lightning no more than 50-75 feet away from us, slightly uphill on the trail. The trunks remained, maybe 20 feet high or so, but the tops were missing and the top of the trunks looked like chewed toothpicks. I didn't see an intact branch bigger around than my thumb - it seemed like every part of those trees' foliage just exploded.

To this day I don't know if we were extremely lucky, but I tend to think so.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Administrator
    a few Heavy Downpours.

One hailstorm with some really large hail and high winds but, because of the thick tree canopy the hailstones just sort of plopped down and we did not get pelted.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Some heavy rains, some mountain squalls, the worst was an intentional overnight with an 5 pound poly bag and a wool blanket at - 20 F. That was severe enough for me.
    Aceoky likes this.

I was camping on the shoreline in Lake Superior Provincial park at the eastern end of Lake Superior once when a thunderstorm came rolling in. I wasn't down low by the water but up high on a bluff. The storm came rolling in low across the lake as I watched it. Once it arrived, it seemed like I was actually in the clouds but it is really foggy there being a temporal rain forest so I don't know if that is technically true. Anyway the thunder and lighten was all around and louder than anything I've ever heard. I pressed myself to the ground and simply hoped I'd make it, which at the time didn't seem certain. I've always loved storms but that one really scared me. Not much of a story but was a pretty cool experience in my book.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links