Got some new Bushcraft knives....

This is a discussion on Got some new Bushcraft knives.... within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; I decided I wanted to start learning some survival woods skills this spring and have been piecing together a simple kit for now. After looking ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By Taurahe
  • 1 Post By QKShooter
  • 1 Post By Taurahe
  • 1 Post By QKShooter
  • 2 Post By QKShooter
  • 3 Post By QKShooter
  • 3 Post By Caertaker

Thread: Got some new Bushcraft knives....

Got some new Bushcraft knives....

I decided I wanted to start learning some survival woods skills this spring and have been piecing together a simple kit for now. After looking at knives I found the much loved Mora Kniv... and I got one on eBay for 10 bucks with free shipping. Well the mailman brought it to and I must say it feels really nice in the hand. I bought the Companion MG carbon. Anyone have any suggestions for good accessories for the Mora? Is the sheath decent or should I look for a replacement sheath?

I also got a Green River knife kit as well. I figured I would try my hand at building a nice function able bush crafter as well, just for the heck of it. :) eventually, after i build a few and get the hang of it, I am going to build a PC Pre revolutionary war trade style roach Belly for my Brother. He does early 18th century reenactment and it will make a nice Christmas present for him.
    Aceoky likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Does that Mora have the molded polymer sheath? If so then it will work out just fine.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Does that Mora have the molded polymer sheath? If so then it will work out just fine.
    It does indeed. Glad to hear it is durable because I am actually liking the rounded edges and the blunt tip for some reason.
    Aceoky likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Administrator
    Take some PICS of your Green River knife when you get it together.
    Taurahe likes this.

Take some PICS of your Green River knife when you get it together.
    I most certainly will !! I am going to patina the blade and tang sometime this week and prep for building..... I smell a photo essay for the build .....
    ~Daniel Webster

Administrator
    Green River. They have been making good quality Carbon Steel blades FOREVER.
    Good, old fashioned basic Carbon steel that takes a good edge and is easy as pie to touch up the edge in the field.
    It is surprising how comparatively inexpensive their blades are if you are willing to do a bit of work and install your own handles.
    Taurahe and Aceoky like this.

There are people selling fancy leather sheaths for Mora knives, but I prefer the original plastic ones. When you use the knife for food processing and gets all sorts of juice on it, you don't mind just slipping it into the plastic sheath, as you can easily rinse it off later. You don't want to put a dirty knife into a leather sheath, washing it out is a chore.

Oh, a good accessory would be a sharpener. DMT makes excellent diamond sharpeners. Take a look at DMT Diamond Mini-Sharp, extra fine. Moras come really sharp from the factory, and unless you abuse it heavily, an extra-fine grade sharpener should be enough to touch it up and keep it factory sharp.
    Ars longa vita brevis
    http://goo.gl/YN2P0h

Does anyone have a neat trick to modify the sheath some so it holds the Mora better? Mine just kind of flops in and could easily flop back out.
    Last edited by Caertaker; February 23rd, 2014 at 06:29 PM. Reason: missed word
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    Does anyone have a neat trick to modify the sheath some it holds the Mora better? Mine just kind of flops in and could easily flop back out.
    That is something that you do need to take care of because the function of a good knife sheath is threefold.

1) ~ Protect and house the knife

2) ~ Protect the person carrying the knife from the edge and point of the knife (as in during a fall or a tumble down a hill or off a horse etc.)

3) ~ Keep the knife with the person carrying and depending on that knife.
    Also Known As: You do not ever want to reach for your knife only to discover that it isn't there.

That is something that you do need to take care of because the function of a good knife sheath is threefold.
    Come on QKShooter. Don't make me beg you. I know you have a trick or two up your sleeve for this. Dish.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Green River. They have been making good quality Carbon Steel blades FOREVER.
    Good, old fashioned basic Carbon steel that takes a good edge and is easy as pie to touch up the edge in the field.
    It is surprising how comparatively inexpensive their blades are if you are willing to do a bit of work and install your own handles.
    That they do. I got mine from track of the wolf for 13 bucks plus shipping for the kit. Not digging the plain wood scales but it will make a nice simple knife in the end.
    ~Daniel Webster

Youtube mora knife mods. and you will spend hours digging through all the info.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Links