SHTF novels

SHTF novels

This is a discussion on SHTF novels within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am not a huge reader but some of my favorite types of books are the ones that deal with what would happen when TSHF. ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: SHTF novels

SHTF novels

I am not a huge reader but some of my favorite types of books are the ones that deal with what would happen when TSHF. The ones I am reading right now are the "Going Home" series by A. American. Going Home: A Novel (The Survivalist Series): A. American: 9780142181270: Amazon.com: Books
    There are currently 3 books of a planned 6 in the series. Good story, written by a guy who is and has been a prepper for a long time. Plus, he has a website/blog where he discusses prepping and other issues: Angery American News - Angery American

Another very good book is one called "One Second After" by WILLIAM R. FORSTCHEN. onesecondafter.com - Home

There are others but these are my current favorites. Well written and fairly realistic, especially the Going Home series. Anyone have any others?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    I have been wanting to read the Going Home series, but am trying to hold off until he gets done. I hate reading a series and waiting on books to come out! And I'm already doing that with the 299 Days series (which are some of the best books I've ever read BTW)

I am currently reading The Revolution Begins because it was gifted to me. I'm not overly impressed, but just getting started. I've read 3 of the 4 Togabaga series books- I didn't know it was going to be a series. Not too well written and the books after the first are just silly, but the first one was entertaining even if not well written.

Alas, Babylon is my favorite of the genre, but doesn't really fit with modern issues. Patriots by Rawles is a good read. Equipping Modern Patriots is a good book that surprised me... I keep wishing it would turn into a series but with the way he told the story there wouldn't be much room to do it.
    heritage1865 and Fernando like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member
    Lots of great suggestions in this thread.

Fictionalized SHTF books and videos: what are your favorites?
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

while not a SHTF book per se. "The Last Centurion" by John Ringo is an excellent view at plague, geo-political, social collapse. Great book.

"War Day" -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warday -pretty dated (soviet cold war), but an awesome look at post collapse america...

i've actually found a lot of pertinent info in the various "zombie" stuff, sure you gotta sift through a lot of garbage... but some good nuggest to be found..
    tcbrad98 likes this.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Anything by Matt Bracken.

Amazon.com: matt bracken

Read the first Enemies Foreign and Domestic, then look at the date it was written. The man is darn near clairvoyant.
    MMinSC likes this.
    How about a little fire, Scarecrow?

i will be paying close attention to this thread. i am in the same boat as the op. im almost done with "surviving home" and am looking at what to read after i finish the third one.
    TN_Mike likes this.

I started reading apocalyptic post nuke SHTF books since the early eighties. (No not the 1880s.)

**** The Out of The Ashes series (of 3 books) by William Johnstone was exciting as all get out.

**The Survivalist Series by Jerry Ahern. A series of 21 or 22 books written 30+/- years ago. The main character loves his matching pair of Detonic's 1911 styled pistols. Generally each and every time he mentions his Detonic pistols he spends a half page telling the reader about them. Long before book 16 I was hoping he'd sack them for matching Dan Wesson 357s or 44 Magnums.

*****My 2 favorite books which are far more current UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES by John Ross. This book was very popular during the Militia Movement of the early to mid 1990s. It is 836 pages. I am a voracious reader when it's something I'm way into yet it took me 3 weeks to read this. Ruby Ridge and Waco are both well documented.
    *****PATRIOTS by John Carpenter. John is a pal of mine. John C is his book writing name. He is one of the smartest guys I know. PATRIOTS is a pretty standard SHTF book. The main characters in his book are friends of his from RL. Some of you may have heard of a cat that goes by Tire Iron. He is in the book and is one of the main guys. Most if not all of you would enjoy this book immensely.

For general prepping-preparedness-monkey wrenching and general self liberation I would personally recommend pretty much anything written by Claire Wolfe. (I have 4 or 5 of her books.) Pickup 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution. This is a fun read and fulla useful tidbits of info.

Ragnar Benson is another writer. He retired as a professional soldier. He has written books from planning and building a Retreat to DEFENDING that Retreat. Many of RB's books have to do with defeating an enemy who has armored vehicles. Armor is tough but armor is NOT kill proof. He tells how to dissuade armor from coming up your road. Work it right and you can make free money pulling county trucks out of ravines and hauling them back the 50 miles to town.

A most excellent magazine to subscribe to is Backwoods Home Magazine. It comes out every other month (yup-just 6 times a year) GET IT ANYWAY! Mas Ayoob One of the actors from MISSION Impossible Claire Wolfe Jackie Clay John Silveira and others write articles about everything small acreage farming to the Tea Party movement to home schooling to 'The Perfect Goat' the Appleseed shooting skills training-plumbing and wiring your own house-Composting toilets-Hand water pumps-Solar power-Making sourdough starter-Pasteurizing YOUR OWN MILK-build your own YURTS-just all kinds of great books.

There's a Good Start.
    DingBat, TN_Mike and JDE101 like this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

The 299 Days Series

Lights Out

I think the 299 days series is probably the most realistic portrayal of what SHTF will look like.
    TN_Mike and .45acpguy like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I have read "One Second After" and liked it and I to am waiting for the Going Home series to be completed. Which do you think is preferable, being at ground zero or being on the perimeter and watching your family and friends perish? It would be tough but if it was a man caused event I am afraid my thirst for revenge would sustain me for awhile. All in all that would be a pretty depressing reason for wanting to live if you had nothing else. Forstchen's book deals with some of that and I recommend it.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
    - William Pitt

{NRA Benefactor Member and proud supporter of the 2nd Amendment}

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigWanad View Post
    Anything by Matt Bracken.

Amazon.com: matt bracken

Read the first Enemies Foreign and Domestic, then look at the date it was written. The man is darn near clairvoyant.
    You sold me, just hit the buy button on Amazon.
    TheBigWanad likes this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I am not a huge reader but some of my favorite types of books are the ones that deal with what would happen when TSHF. The ones I am reading right now are the "Going Home" series by A. American. Going Home: A Novel (The Survivalist Series): A. American: 9780142181270: Amazon.com: Books
    There are currently 3 books of a planned 6 in the series. Good story, written by a guy who is and has been a prepper for a long time. Plus, he has a website/blog where he discusses prepping and other issues: Angery American News - Angery American

Another very good book is one called "One Second After" by WILLIAM R. FORSTCHEN. onesecondafter.com - Home

There are others but these are my current favorites. Well written and fairly realistic, especially the Going Home series. Anyone have any others?
    I'm currently reading Going Home and I am really enjoying it.

I finished One Second After not too long ago and I also enjoyed that.

Those book are very good and they are easy reads.

Before that I read 3 of the 4 books in James Wesley, Rawles' series.

The first three books are:
    Patriots: A Novel of the Coming Global Collapse
    Survivors: A Novel of the Coming Global Collapse
    Founders: A Novel of the Coming Global Collapse

The fourth book in the series is Expatriates: A Novel of the Coming Global Collapse (haven't read this yet)

This series is good but the author writes heavily in military lingo/acronyms and his stories also have a lot of characters. There is so much military lingo/acronyms that the author has included a large glossary at the back of the book. There are also so many characters that often I felt like the author forgot to completely finish some of the story lines. On the plus side, there is a ton of useful info in these books for anyone who has an interest in prepping for and surviving the aftermath of a SHTF event.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    I started reading apocalyptic post nuke SHTF books since the early eighties. (No not the 1880s.)

**** The Out of The Ashes series (of 3 books) by William Johnstone was exciting as all get out.

**The Survivalist Series by Jerry Ahern. A series of 21 or 22 books written 30+/- years ago. The main character loves his matching pair of Detonic's 1911 styled pistols. Generally each and every time he mentions his Detonic pistols he spends a half page telling the reader about them. Long before book 16 I was hoping he'd sack them for matching Dan Wesson 357s or 44 Magnums.

*****My 2 favorite books which are far more current UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES by John Ross. This book was very popular during the Militia Movement of the early to mid 1990s. It is 836 pages. I am a voracious reader when it's something I'm way into yet it took me 3 weeks to read this. Ruby Ridge and Waco are both well documented.
    *****PATRIOTS by John Carpenter. John is a pal of mine. John C is his book writing name. He is one of the smartest guys I know. PATRIOTS is a pretty standard SHTF book. The main characters in his book are friends of his from RL. Some of you may have heard of a cat that goes by Tire Iron. He is in the book and is one of the main guys. Most if not all of you would enjoy this book immensely.

For general prepping-preparedness-monkey wrenching and general self liberation I would personally recommend pretty much anything written by Claire Wolfe. (I have 4 or 5 of her books.) Pickup 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution. This is a fun read and fulla useful tidbits of info.

Ragnar Benson is another writer. He retired as a professional soldier. He has written books from planning and building a Retreat to DEFENDING that Retreat. Many of RB's books have to do with defeating an enemy who has armored vehicles. Armor is tough but armor is NOT kill proof. He tells how to dissuade armor from coming up your road. Work it right and you can make free money pulling county trucks out of ravines and hauling them back the 50 miles to town.

A most excellent magazine to subscribe to is Backwoods Home Magazine. It comes out every other month (yup-just 6 times a year) GET IT ANYWAY! Mas Ayoob One of the actors from MISSION Impossible Claire Wolfe Jackie Clay John Silveira and others write articles about everything small acreage farming to the Tea Party movement to home schooling to 'The Perfect Goat' the Appleseed shooting skills training-plumbing and wiring your own house-Composting toilets-Hand water pumps-Solar power-Making sourdough starter-Pasteurizing YOUR OWN MILK-build your own YURTS-just all kinds of great books.

There's a Good Start.
    Great info. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    The 299 Days Series

Lights Out

I think the 299 days series is probably the most realistic portrayal of what SHTF will look like.
    Is this the series by David Crawford?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Just bought "Lights Out" and "Patriots" for my Nook.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

No problemo TN Mike. Do yourself a favor and score a copy of Unintended Consequences by John Ross. It came out 1995ish. I found mine at a LGS. 836 pages is MY IDEA of a novel.

I'll be back.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Great info. Thanks!!

Is this the series by David Crawford?

Son of Johnny Crawford??

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links