SO...I Just Bought One Of These Puppies In D-2 Tool Steel

This is a discussion on SO...I Just Bought One Of These Puppies In D-2 Tool Steel within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; It's small, FLAT & I always had great luck with D-2 blade steel with regard to edge holding ability. My intention is to piggy back ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: SO...I Just Bought One Of These Puppies In D-2 Tool Steel

Administrator

It's small, FLAT & I always had great luck with D-2 blade steel with regard to edge holding ability.
    My intention is to piggy back it to a sheath for one of my larger BUSSE knives.

I am 100% SOLD on larger knives for camping/survival BUT, there are so many times when using a smaller knife just makes things so much simpler.
    Usually I (grumble grumble fiddle fiddle) yank out the Leatherman for small knife chores but, having another small knife with clean simple lines "right there" & configured like this one will be an absolute pleasure.

I still stick with my story that there are many things that you can accomplish with a larger knife that just cannot be easily accomplished with a small knife.
    Having ONLY a small knife when you would really need or would love having a larger knife causes a LOT more time to be wasted and a lot more energy to be expended so I am hoping to solve the problem of one knife never being able to do it all efficiently by having both real handy.

I just bought this today and do not have it as of yet but, I WILL post Pics after I get this new piggyback leather sheath "thunk out" and built.

I will just scrap the supplied knife sheath.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Becker D'Eskabar Fixed Blade. 7" overall. 3 1/4" drop point blade. D2 tool steel stonewashed finish construction with tang stamp (one on each side), "BK&T Ka-bar" and "Randall's Adventure® ESEE 1997". Hardened to 59-60 HRC. Lanyard ring. Black glass filled nylon friction release sheath with neck cord. This knife is a collaboration of the Ka-bar Becker Necker and the ESEE Izula.

Specifications:

• Overall Length: 7"
    • Length Closed:
    • Blade Length: 3 1/4"
    • Steel: D2 Tool Steel
    • Handle: Skeletonized
    • Carry system: Glass Filled Nylon
    • Weight: 2.6 oz.
    • Country of Manufacture: United States
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Can't tell from picture. Blade length?

Administrator
    It's up there now. You were too quick.

I had to "go get it" and come back to do a copy & paste.
    Aceoky, Pete63 and OD* like this.

I like the looks of it. You're right about D2. Good stuff. Pretty easy to sharpen, and really holds an edge for along time.
    QKShooter, airslot and Aceoky like this.

Think I just found one. Will probably order one later on today. Thanks for info!
    QKShooter likes this.

Highly reminiscent of the two Marble knives I have from my dad's Scout days, c. 1930 - the Woodcraft model, I think. The blade shape makes for a great woods/camping utility knife.
    airslot, QKShooter and Aceoky like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

hbc
    Excellent choice!
    QKShooter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Highly reminiscent of the two Marble knives I have from my dad's Scout days, c. 1930 - the Woodcraft model, I think. The blade shape makes for a great woods/camping utility knife.
    By Marble are you talking about Damascus Steel?? Damascus Steel is some of the prettiest Steel there ever was not counting Samurai Steel. Just my opinion. You gotta realize Neil Young is near the top of my favorite's music wise. I apoligise not.

OK I can't spell apoligise worth beans. I could yesterday before I started drinking. EDC is put away. I wish I had an old lady to cook for me.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

I've been thinking of getting one of those, too. Maybe wrapping paracord around the handle.
    Aceoky likes this.

Lead Moderator
    Was just thinking that looks a lot like my esse izula........then I read the description. Without getting to use mine much , it feels like it will handle small jobs quite well.
    Aceoky and QKShooter like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

2.6 OZ. WOW! That's a nice looking knife.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Looks like a nice blade you got there. A lot like my Izula actually, which is my favorite "little knife" that I own.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Moderator
    Nice little knife, I'm going have to get one
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Administrator
    This is sort of a long Video on the 1095 Steel version. It's not in English but, this guy put his ESEE through beyond tough use to downright ABUSE.

Amazing little knife that really can take a pounding/beating.

There is also another Video that shows that the particular plastic that these sheaths are made of CAN POSSIBLY QUICKLY DULL THE EDGE of these knives in taking the knife out of the sheath and reinserting it a few times. So if your knife seems to quickly lose that hair shaving edge....that is why. It is the sheath!
    The Video convinced me as it was perfectly demonstrated.

Aceoky and pgrass101 like this.

Administrator
    Sheath Plastic Dulls Knife Edge

Also not in English but, worthwhile Vid if you own or intend to buy one of these knives.

So insert and remove your knife straight in without dragging the edge on the sheath or just opt for basic Kydex or leather.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links