Motorcycle camping holiday

This is a discussion on Motorcycle camping holiday within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; Okay peeps, My wife and I will be riding (Motor bikes) a route known as the CDR (Continental Divide Route) this summer, it is a ...

Thread: Motorcycle camping holiday

Okay peeps,

My wife and I will be riding (Motor bikes) a route known as the CDR (Continental Divide Route) this summer, it is a series of fire roads (Dirt trails) that go from Montana, to New Mexico (passing through Idaho, Wyoming & Colorado). As we will be camping and riding in the wild, I would like to bring a handgun along with us for protection. I have a Washington CPL and a Utah CPL license so I know I am covered for Montana, Idaho & Wyoming but I am concerned about what options I have for Colorado & New Mexico. Colorado & New Mexico allows open carry, but everyone says to expect hassle from our boys in blue (police) if open carrying, so I would rather keep the firearm unloaded in a tank bag. I was looking at the rules for transporting a firearm in a vehicle for Colorado and New Mexico, It seems a loaded handgun can be carried in/on a motorcycle? Have any of you had similar situations? It seems that I can CC through Washington, Montana, Idaho & Wyoming, I then transfer the firearm to my tank bag for Colorado & new Mexico. I was NOT intending to keep a bullet in the chamber due to all the shaking that the firearm & I will receive, I don't want an Accidental discharge whilst riding. Have any of you ever done anything like this and do you have any suggestions? Can you see any holes in my plan to CC and then transfer to my tank bag for the last 2 states? Do you see any other options? I may just not bring a firearm on the trip, but it will last 3 weeks and I would prefer to have a firearm with me as we will be camping in some very remote areas and there will be large wild life around!!.

Gary

CO as far as I know does not recognize a non res permit, so for them your out of luck. Have you thought of getting another permit to cover NM? AZ is easy to get if you're a vet and covers NM.

I would carry, just put it in a saddle bag in CO. I wouldn't put it in the tank bag as that may cause issues with having it "with in reach" similar to stowing in the consol.

Thanks for the suggestions, reading the rules, it seems I am allowed to have a loaded gun within reach when in a car or motorcycle for both Colorado and New Mexico.. Panniers probably still make more sense.

Gary

Sponsored Links