New Toy (Backpacking Stove)

This is a discussion on New Toy (Backpacking Stove) within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just got in a new stove to replace my old Coleman Peak1 Apex, which I' had for close to 15 years until the pump broke. ...

Like Tree19Likes
  • 5 Post By Chuck R.
  • 1 Post By molleur
  • 2 Post By QKShooter
  • 1 Post By TN_Mike
  • 2 Post By QKShooter
  • 1 Post By 1MoreGoodGuy
  • 1 Post By Aceoky
  • 3 Post By 1MoreGoodGuy
  • 1 Post By Unisaw
  • 1 Post By rocky
  • 1 Post By NONAME762

Thread: New Toy (Backpacking Stove)

Just got in a new stove to replace my old Coleman Peak1 Apex, which I' had for close to 15 years until the pump broke. I replaced it with a Brunton Bantam, which works well, but the lack of an easy simmer was driving nuts, plus it was whitegas only. Sometimes I actually cook while out instead of just boiling water so an easy simmer is a big deal for me.

So I bought a Primus Omnilite Ti which arrived yesterday, not cheap at $160 delivered, but it's multifuel to include canisters and it simmers like a champ. Construction looks like it's top notch, better than the Brunton. The design is well thought out, cleaning and changing jets is a snap, it folds to take minimum pack space. Even though its liquid fuel, it's simple to prime and get going. Ease of priming was one of the Coleman's strong points, and a PITA with the Brunton at times.

So simple, my 10 year old made his breakfast with it this morning after we rehearsed last night:

So what are you (those that backpack/hike) using to cook?

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Distinguished Member
    I do okay with a surplus esbit stove. For more serious cooking I'll use the rocket stove that I made.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Administrator
    So what are you (those that backpack/hike) using to cook?

"Cooking" for me these days is usually boiling 2 cups of H2O and ripping open a Mountain House pouch.

I DO have a folding gas burner that some ebay seller in China sent me by mistake when I actually bought a cheap hammock from him for use on my front porch.

I got refunded through PayPal and the seller just messaged me and told be to keep the burner.

The problem was that it would not accept any U.S. propane cylinder threads.

SO....I took an old brass propane torch head that I had....and with some Silver brazing rod I fit and brazed that to the Chinese thread valve fitting.

The knob on the propane torch head allows a great amount of adjustment in flame size.

To date I have not actually USED IT (except to make some char cloth) because I have not yet felt like lugging a propane cylinder.

I just intend to keep it if and when I go vehicle camping...or SHTF.

I WILL take a PIC of the modification that I did on it in case anybody wants to buy one and do the same thing.

The quality of the burner and hose is actually surprisingly good for Made In China.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Way back when I used to space two flat rocks apart at a correct distance - get some fire betwixt them and cook in a cheapo thin Stainless pan.
    Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I have one of these in my get home bag and my wife has one in her get home bag as well. These actually work surprisingly well for being as cheap as they are. (just $6 at Walmart) and I am quite happy with it.

Sterno Folding Stove: Camping : Walmart.com
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Administrator
    I also have a Vargo Titanium alcohol burner which is super light weight and tiny BUT, you sure are not frying up a pound of bacon with it or cooking up a pot of stew.

It will easily boil my 2 cups of water though.

I have this one. I do not know if it is the BEST one but, it is the one I bought.
    You CAN flip it over and burn Heximine or Trioxane on the flip side.
    gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    I use Optimus Crux Weekend HE Cook System Optimus Crux Weekend HE Cook System : Cabela's
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I have always enjoyed cooking over an open fire (Coals)
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
    I also carry a Coghlan's Pack Grill in my bag Pack Grill | Cook & Grill | Coghlan's

The four corners are too pointy so I grind them off with an angle grinder and round them over with the belt sander so they don't poke holes in my bag.

I like to carry in a steak for the first night's meal…What can I say, I like to rough it. A little bit of aluminum foil also comes in handy for cooking fish on the grill.
    gatorbait51, Aceoky and QKShooter like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I use an MSR Pocket Rocket canister stove when I go backpacking. "Cooking" for me means boiling water for freeze-dried food, hot chocolate, and soups. A small canister of gas will last 4+ days if I use it for breakfast and dinner.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
    So do I, but with the drought/burn bans, it's often not feasible out hiking without a set fire-pit etc. Definitely don't want to be "that guy" that set the woods/prairie on fire! Bad enough I had a brush pile get away a couple years ago (wind picked up) and 80 acres and 3 fire departments later all was well.

I've yet to try one of the Alcohol stoves, I think that's going to be next on my list. Right now with the 10 year old, and the rest of the scouts I often have "the need for speed".

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Can't argue with that reality
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

Lead Moderator
    I use a cheap Coleman isobutane single burner or a wood gasified stove for hiking/camping. For vehicle camping I have the old heavy standby Coleman green two burner propane or white gas stove.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The first 4 or 5 years I was going to the mountain man rendezvous I cooked over a campfire too. I cooked like that in my backyard after work once or twice a week. In 1990 I scored a way cool small stove made by a guy on his days off from his Washington Stove Works job. It's not as airtight now as it was back then. The top has bowed out a bit and the door just isn't as tight fitting as when new. But the whole rig (minus 4 inch pipe) cost me just $60 brand spanking new. From the time I've made camp till the stove goes back in the truck I basically keep it going nonstop. Always keep a coffee pot going for hot water.

It's easier cooking over a fire than on the stove but I prefer a toasty warm tent. When I won first prize in a Dutch oven cooking contest some 22 years ago my BBQ beans started out cooking on my stove. It weighs perhaps 40 pounds and can be picked up and moved 10 feet without hurting myself. When I'm out camping I'm not real fussy about my meals. Stick to my ribs fill me up and taste good is all I really care about. When I was in my 20s I first had an Optimus 8R that worked like gangbusters. Later in college I had a Svea 123 single burner. Both ran white gas and both worked great.
    I have 6 of those folding hexamine stoves for making warm water. They barely boil water but are better than nothing. I also have an MSR stove that runs white gas.
    Aceoky likes this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Back when I was seriously hiking and backpacking I used a Trangia Alcohol stove and cook kit. When I went light, I did some mods but kept the burner. At one point I could bake pizza and bread with it. I hated the dehydrated stuff, and more importantly so did my wife. After taking a Wilderness Education Association NSP course, I started cooking real food on trail. Much mo better! We used a bulk food rationing system on our 30 day trip. Took a copy of the NOLS Cookery and made all kinds of stuff on the trail. We ate well.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Sponsored Links