Autopsy on a sod house.. from NE

This is a discussion on Autopsy on a sod house.. from NE within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; Shelter... Bushcraft... survival skills... Hmmmm. Here's a sod house from the late 1800's- early 1900's. Without any maintenance to speak of, it has survived reasonably ...

Like Tree33Likes
  • 4 Post By oakchas
  • 5 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By oneshot
  • 4 Post By pgrass101
  • 1 Post By Caertaker
  • 5 Post By Oldpsufan
  • 2 Post By Aceoky
  • 1 Post By Oldpsufan
  • 1 Post By Aceoky
  • 2 Post By dangerranger
  • 1 Post By NONAME762
  • 2 Post By manolito
  • 2 Post By 5lima30ret
  • 2 Post By CWOUSCG

Thread: Autopsy on a sod house.. from NE

Autopsy on a sod house.. from NE

Shelter... Bushcraft... survival skills...

Hmmmm.

Here's a sod house from the late 1800's- early 1900's.

Without any maintenance to speak of, it has survived reasonably intact for a looong time... and so, they're gonna look at the sod, to see what secrets it holds.

Might not be a bad idea, in the proper setting for long term shelter. Just saw this in the local online paper.. thought it might be of some interest.

Story here
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

2. Remove Ads

Poor old house, being dismembered like that. If it could talk, it would probably tell those researchers to "sod off!"
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    If you want to bake a cake, you gotta crack a few eggs.

I guess they feel the information gained will somehow benefit us, but I don't really know off hand how.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Senior Moderator
    They can tell the health of the soil when it was cut and made into a house. It can be compared to soil today. that could be worthwhile to agriculture.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Wonder how thick you'd have to make the walls to stop a rifle? I imagine unpacked earth wouldn't be as effective as a sandbag but then again I have no experience.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    Wonder how thick you'd have to make the walls to stop a rifle? I imagine unpacked earth wouldn't be as effective as a sandbag but then again I have no experience.
    Probably would be easy to stop a rifle, it's the bullet I'd be worried about.

Actually I had a dozer make a berm on my farm and I was shocked at how quickly it stopped even 30/06 bullets (just dirt/clay) even @ 25 yards they didn't penetrate like I would have thought (these were hunting loads though not FMJ)
    gatorbait51 and manolito like this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

Quote Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
    Actually I had a dozer make a berm on my farm and I was shocked at how quickly it stopped even 30/06 bullets (just dirt/clay) even @ 25 yards they didn't penetrate like I would have thought (these were hunting loads though not FMJ)
    I'm guessing packed dirt would be pretty effective against older ammo.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Well, it wasn't "old ammo" in fact most was my fresh reloads - point being dirt IME expands "hunting type" rifle rounds pretty fast (it's not tissue after all) I'm talking not over 10" even @ only 25 yards
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    According to old accounts sod houses are pretty much bullet proof! DR
    Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.

If someone wanted to come onto my property and partially dismantle any type of house or structure they would be paying me for the privilege.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Ask the younger ones who went to AStan. As said earlier dirt stops bullets very quickly.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    When I lived in NM I explored several old adobe settlements from late 1800's. The roofs were long gone and there were numerous holes from bullets over the years. NONE penetrated much more than 8"-10" or so. I know that it is not the same as sod but adobe is pretty tough stuff in my book!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Stopped arrows pretty good too!
    5lima30ret and Aceoky like this.

"If someone gets into your house which would you rather have, a handgun or a phone? You can call the police if you want, and they’ll get there; and they’ll take a picture of your dead body."

Ex Member
    Good read. Wonder if the bank would give you a loan on one?

Links