Quickie Cheapie Knife Review - Hultafors HVK Craftmans Knife

This is a discussion on Quickie Cheapie Knife Review - Hultafors HVK Craftmans Knife within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Hultafors HVK Craftmans Knife ~ Carbon Steel OK - So....after watching a Video on YouTube I decided to buy one of these mostly just ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 5 Post By QKShooter
  • 1 Post By QKShooter
  • 1 Post By PAcanis
  • 2 Post By Caertaker

Thread: Quickie Cheapie Knife Review - Hultafors HVK Craftmans Knife

Administrator

The Hultafors HVK Craftmans Knife ~ Carbon Steel

OK - So....after watching a Video on YouTube I decided to buy one of these mostly just for the heckovit since I really do not need any more cutting implements.
    I bought this on ebay. I am wondering HOW exactly this knife can be offered for $12.00 and with FREE SHIPPING from the U.K. but, it was and I did a Buy It Now and amazingly it arrived "on my doorstep" in reasonably short order.

I have not had it "out and about" yet so consider this to be just an initial preliminary overview.

The knife did not arrive "shaving sharp" though it did slice paper effortlessly. A bit of time on a leather strop got it shaving and "popping off" some arm hair.

The sheath is sort of a weird affair. The "snap together" belt loop area is not really designed for an American Style gun belt.
    It also has this weird slot that you can use to lock the sheath onto a button on your overalls ??? (I guess) since this is termed a Craftsmans Knife. On the plus side there is a molded in loop on the sheath that a length of para-cord can be run through.

We really do not carry our knives secured onto our pants buttons here in the good old U. S. of A.

The retention of the knife inside the molded plastic sheath is adequate and will not shake out or fall out in any sort of normal carry/use.

The combined weight of the knife and sheath combined VERY light weight. I do not have an accurate enough scale at home right now to give an actual exact weight but, it's LIGHT.

The grippy rubber handle remains "non slip" even when wet - or decently so. I just did a highly scientific running of the knife under the water in the sink.

I did lock the blade into my massive bench vice and attempt to wiggle it out of the handle and for all normal knife use intent and purpose the blade is not going anywhere. I did not attempt to kill it out with everything I could muster but, it is not ever going to come out in any sort of normal knife use or even mild abuse.

This is a web found photo as my little Bro has my camera again but, it is the exact same knife.

I did a little bit of goofing around with this knife outside today and as a really lightweight extra knife to stuff into the B.O.B. it would be just fine.
    Just making a feather stick and doing some front porch informal whittling this morning.

Since I really have a personal affinity for larger knives it's not a knife that I would want as a sole survival knife but, it would handle general camp/food prep chores pretty well.

Anyway for $12.00 I wouldn't hesitate to beat the living snot out of it if the need ever arose. I DO think that with regard to edge retention this is one of those knives that will field sharpen EASILY but, you may need to do that a bit more often than with some other higher dollar knives.
    The blade configuration would lend itself to a quick and easy edge touch up even using a smooth found stone.

I will post that Video where the guy torture tested the one with the plain plastic handle where he pounded it all the way up to the handle into a fallen tree and then stood on it.

As for me....I am just going to pop this one into my tool box with the hammer, screwdrivers, pliers, etc etc and basically have it in there as a utility type knife.

Worth the meager $12.00 - ? - I think so.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    This bloke did a 1 through 5 set of Destruction test Videos on the knife.

I am just going to put #1 here and any members that are interested can easily locate and watch the rest of them.

Great review, thanks. The only thing missing for us Ebay non officianodos is a link.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

Administrator
    Here you go. The ebay seller that I bought it from.
    Mine DID arrive without a hitch.

Hultafors HVK Craftmans Knife Enhanced Grip | eBay
    Aceoky likes this.

VIP Member
    The knife looks like a bargain
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Thanks. It looks like Amazon has the same or similar for $13

I'll have to check out the EBay link

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

Looks like you can't go wrong.
    QKShooter likes this.

Seems like this would be a good entry level blade for a young person. Of course they would probably want a Rambo survival knife but this would serve them better. I like look of the enhanced grip not that looks should be the prime determinate of a camp knife but hey, I'm a guy, what can I say?.
    Aceoky and QKShooter like this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Links