Does anyone watch Naked and Afraid?

This is a discussion on Does anyone watch Naked and Afraid? within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; I really enjoy this show. If you're not familiar with it, two survival experts (man, woman) are dropped off in a remote location and challenged ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree169Likes

Thread: Does anyone watch Naked and Afraid?

I really enjoy this show. If you're not familiar with it, two survival experts (man, woman) are dropped off in a remote location and challenged to survive 21 days. Both are completely without clothing or equipment, aside from a shoulder satchel and one survival item of their choosing (usually a knife or machete and a way to make fire).

There is nothing glamorous or appealing about the challenge. The insect bites are absolutely horrendous, thirst and starvation are part for the course, and they hardly eat at all. They eventually just get so weak they take to laying around most of the day and have lost drastic amounts of weight by the end. They're usually surrounded by something poisonous (one episode had water moccasins all over the place), and as best I can tell there isn't much staging or crew intervention. It really takes the glamour out of survival and shows how critical even the smallest survival items are. A lot of the "experts" fail miserably, some from lack of real experience and some from ego. I'm not even sure if ANY of these teams would have been able to carry on indefinitely.
    Aceoky likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I did watch but have stopped. I got tired of all the human misery. I have enough of my own without getting more vicariously through the boob tube.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF - CCRKBA
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

it got old really quick.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

It's "over-rated" IMHO for a "survival show" the odds of actually being stuck naked with almost nothing - well.

That being said it's a good show (IMO) for what NOT to do.........I think it "could be done better" , but clearly the whole point is the misery (not real/true survival) if you watch the "after dark" , it makes it pretty obvious things are "pushed to the extreme" , exaggerated too much etc. Still I do watch it from time to time for the WOW factor - some folks just amaze me I reckon.

I was actually going to post a thread on this the other day and got busy !
    JDE101 likes this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    Watched a few episodes before I realized they were essentially al the same--two wannabe survival "experts" who can't seem to find their bare butts with either hand and both have crappy attitudes.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    I tried to watch it a couple of times but just couldn't seem to get to a point that I enjoyed it. Too much personal drama and it seems like a lot of it is just for the camera.
    Oldpsufan and RemMod597 like this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

I'll be glad when the reality craze crap is over, and they start showing good movies. Then and only then will I have my cable turned back on.
    History was one of the reasons I wanted cable, but it's any thing but History now.

And what kind of man could be alone naked with a woman, and worry about trivial things like food and shelter?
    That right there tells ya something ain't right.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    True, the History Channel is about anything but history. And with the looks of some of those women, I'd be out looking for food and water too!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Why watch it!!! Heck, I am naked and afraid!!!
    RebelSoul and Patti like this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Isn't that the show where two people lie aroung whining and starving for twenty days the hike to a helicopter?
    Jeanlouise likes this.

I don't watch anything without being dressed. And I sure ain't 'fraid to watch TV. So no, I don't watch anything naked and afraid.
    Navydude likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    They can take all the reality shows, put them all on ONE channel and save me the trouble of channel surfing trying to find something decent to watch. Whoever said years ago, that TV was a vast wasteland, was ahead of his time.

I've seen it, PJR, it's not a bad show, but it is a tad depressing. The woman who could weave hats and clothing from the native plants seemed to have the most useful skill. But the rest of the cast, despite having military and survival skills that look good on paper, sure didn't do so well. I wonder if any of us would under similiar conditions. This show makes me proud of the human race for coming so far with so few natural weapons.
    PJR202 likes this.
    It isn’t the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

Ex Member
    I don't watch anything that's touted to be a "reality" show. They are all fixed and faked.

Reality shows aren't real?!?
    Aceoky, Oldpsufan and SatCong like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links