Machete mania

Machete mania

This is a discussion on Machete mania within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; Long after your fancy Katana (Machone) has snapped from a mishit these blade with be going strong. It would be hard to break if you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Machete mania

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar

Machete mania

Long after your fancy Katana (Machone) has snapped from a mishit these blade with be going strong. It would be hard to break if you tried. I sharpen the blades on my 1" belt sander and they are hair poppin sharp now. These are great all around edge weapons and utility blades that can take lots of hard use.

These inexpensive 1075 carbon steel Imacasa machetes are fun to play with and customize. Imacasa is the parent company of Condor Knife and Tool.

Zombies.......yeah right. Imacasa D Handle

Easy to Customize 27" overall w/ 22" blade
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

It looks nice, but 1075 is kinda soft, isn't it?
    Aceoky likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I'm a big believer in a nice piece of steel. I have several machetes. My favorite is a Cold Steel Gladius that looks like a Roman short sword replica...but it's a machete. I also have a Gerber Gator, a SOG...and a few others, including knives and a few Bowies. Here 2 of my machetes.
    Attached Images
    Aceoky and StormRhydr like this.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Nice looking machetes! I've got numerous machetes some of which I obtained while doing my Central/Latin America all expense paid tour back in the early/ mid 80's. Of all the ones I have including Tramontias, Condor, and Cold Steel, my favorite is my old GI-issue Ontario Knife Co with the built-in sharpener.
    Aceoky, dangerranger and DingBat like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Well fellas I am about 20 years past needing/wanting something like this. My idea of breaking trail is me at front of column operating an ugly old Skidder or an equally ugly Front End Loader. Several tons of stinky steel and diesel fumes and I'd be living large. A machete...not so much...I'd rather have a commercial grade Stihl weed whacker with heavy line or blade.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Yes, most people will find that a machete is more useful than a katana. Katanas are designed for slicing flesh, not chopping vegetation. That being said, machetes generally deliver the most bang-for-the-buck.
    Aceoky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by IsaiahM33 View Post
    I'm a big believer in a nice piece of steel. I have several machetes. My favorite is a Cold Steel Gladius that looks like a Roman short sword replica...but it's a machete. I also have a Gerber Gator, a SOG...and a few others, including knives and a few Bowies. Here 2 of my machetes.
    I have the CS Gladius myself.....among others! Its one of my favorite heavy cutters.

Condors
    Last edited by pirate; May 18th, 2014 at 09:12 PM.
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post

The majority of carbon steel machetes are made from 1074/1075 carbon steel with a typical HRC of 44-50. 1095 steel is typically HRC 48-51. But this is key, remember a machete has to have a blade that will have a degree of flex so it will not break on tough wood and or brush. Their primary function is to cut wood and/or plant organic matter not flesh. Most modern swords for example are made with either 1060 carbon steel or 5160 spring steel. 1095 Carbon steel is very hard and unless it is properly heat treated, this hardness can sometimes be problematic when used on harder targets. 5160 spring steel is not as hard or brittle as a high carbon steel (such as 1095), but is more durable and less prone to breakage, and therefore more suitable for longer blade weapons.

The main advantage to blades of sword length made from 1095 carbon steel is that they can take and keep a much keener edge than swords with a lower carbon content. The disadvantage is that they can sometimes be a little on the brittle side - so durability is traded off for edge retention. When a carbon steel blade gets over say 12-14" in length a very hard steel is not always a good thing. With shorter knife length blades its usually not an issue which is why you often see quality knives with CS blades with a HRC of 58-60.

I train regularly with a Chinese Dao - as shown here:

Mine's from Kult of Athena, made of heavy steel and razor sharp, battle ready. Hit your target where the end of the blade is thickest, you'll do some major damage. Basically, this is a Chinese machete, made for the ground soldier. The ones you see in kung fu movies are usually flimsy wushu swords just made for looks. But this model is all business. Here's a form about the same as the one I do:

"It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I am a martindale bolo kinda of guy... I like a machete with history.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    I am a martindale bolo kinda of guy... I like a machete with history.
    You need to get a Smatchet also......lots of WW2 history with this design. I have the Cold Steel version.

Smatchet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ccw9mm likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    Long after your fancy Katana (Machone) has snapped from a mishit these blade with be going strong. It would be hard to break if you tried. I sharpen the blades on my 1" belt sander and they are hair poppin sharp now. These are great all around edge weapons and utility blades that can take lots of hard use.

These inexpensive 1075 carbon steel Imacasa machetes are fun to play with and customize. Imacasa is the parent company of Condor Knife and Tool.

Zombies.......yeah right. Imacasa D Handle

Easy to Customize 27" overall w/ 22" blade
    And they make good throwing knives too.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

I saw a guy get his arm filleted in a machete fight in Honduras about 30 years ago. I don't know if he died, it was time to leave.
    Aceoky and 5lima30ret like this.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I favor my Espada Ancha, hand forged in the period methods and strength tested by walloping pine trees.

100_4212.JPG
    StormRhydr likes this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Hardness is a function of heat treatment during manufacture, not of the basic steel type. 1075 is a plain carbon steel that is suitable for long knives, swords, and machetes.

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    I train regularly with a Chinese Dao - as shown here:

Mine's from Kult of Athena, made of heavy steel and razor sharp, battle ready.
    Kult of Athena is just the online dealer, do you know who actually made yours?
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links