Doomsday vs everyday preppers

This is a discussion on Doomsday vs everyday preppers within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; Doomsday preppers have a unique and all consuming fixation on preparing for an “End Of The World” event, while “Everyday Preppers” are inclined to think ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Doomsday vs everyday preppers

Senior Moderator

Doomsday preppers have a unique and all consuming fixation on preparing for an “End Of The World” event, while “Everyday Preppers” are inclined to think more about the next storm or local emergency.

Good Article
    Everyday vs Doomsday Preppers: Defeating the misperception - Dan's Survival Depot
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Very good read IMO - thanks for posting

Maybe I'm "different " (likely major understatement) but I'm not so sure they're mutually exclusive - there are some events that could not be thought of (at first) to alter our lives as we've known them - yet events combined - well

IMHO (For what little it's worth) I think it's wise to never stop being prepared say for 20 days and "think" that will be "enough" what if it's six months (or longer) before things get to somewhat normal?

We prep because we do not know the future events, the when , where how so we do not know when to "cutoff" we need some plans to keep ours alive even IF it turns out to be TEOTWAWKI

But I'm probably wrong
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

nice. I try to rank a scenario on likelihood. Stranding snow storm= greatest average risk for me---- Zombies --- low risk.

and prep accordingly. once I have everything I need for a stranding snow storm I can move onto the next most likely scenario. all within budgetary limits.

in the end I think short-term prepping is more situation specific. folks in florida need to proof against hurricane vs. my snowy paradise.

long term survival w/ complete collapse will require much the same regardless if it's driven by something like the recently discussed EMP, or plague, or what. even zombies really only take a classic long term collapse scenario and add another significant security problem. (classic zombies, not fast/smart/demonic ones...really, did i just type that?)

beans, bullets, and bandages. (and power) how much of each category will you really need for how long of what scenario.

to me, the key between being sane and fringe; is does your prepping detract from you or your families lifestyle. I live in the same house, eat the same things, drive the same cars, pay the same bills. I just don't have as many video games or hot rod hobbies or sports memorabilia or whatever that my friends do. my hobby is guns and prepping. if it's a big ticket item like the TAVOR I just bought or the fancy portable solar get-up I am eyeballing, i save up for it just like my buddy who just put a lift on his truck. I don't judge him, he actually takes his truck into the mountains and camps with his family. good for him.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Administrator
    Folks should always prepare first for whatever natural or man made disaster/emergency is most likely to occur.

AKA if you live in Tornado Alley prep first for tornadoes.

Hurricanes....Coastal Flooding ~ Earthquakes blah blah blah. You all get the picture.

If you can see a nuclear power plant from your second floor balcony you might want to prep for that.
    Aceoky, DingBat, JDE101 and 1 others like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    Water, food, shelter, and then a means to protect them. My wife and I started prepping after being caught unprepared by hurricane Ivan. Our camping gear proved to not be enough when we were without power and water for 2 weeks.

Since then we have made a focused effort to not only be better prepared for emergencies but to also become much more self reliant. Growing our own food, repairing and reusing things instead of throwing them away and buying new. We are trying to develop skills that will help us in many different situations and also help us save money and stay out of debt.

A prolonged financial collapse would change everyone's life style in a dramatic way and I don't want to be dependent on a government soup kitchen.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I'd say we are all doing very well. We have all been living in a end of the world as we know it since 2008.
    Hell, it can't get much worse, other than a little nuclear fall out, snow, water or whatever.
    herpjunkie, Aceoky, mprp and 9 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    I am prepared for local emergencies that last 60 days or less and have a longer-term plan for something more significant.

With this said, it sounds like much more fun to prepare for a zombie apocalypse - it would let me shoot more

I like the concept in the article of not only stocking up on stuff by spending every penny you have so you can lay around and just be a fat cat. That stuff eventually runs out and the consumables go away.

Actually learning skills from ancestors by being able to identify local plants, make your clothes, tools and other items to get you by if you become displaced or the items become depleted are great things to know. Not to mention fun to do.

The subject kind of reminds me of computers though; it's one of those things that you can never stop learning about and I have a lot of learning yet to do.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I'd say we are all doing very well. We have all been living in a end of the world as we know it since 2008.
    Hell, it can't get much worse, other than a little nuclear fall out, snow, water or whatever.
    Yeah, it's like someone turned on TEOTWAWKI spigot to a trickle instead of the great flash flood that everyone envisions.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    The whole notion of there being a world of difference between "doomsday" preppers and everyday preppers is a bit misleading. I'd guess that many of the "doomsday" folks got started as what he considers everyday preppers. First they listened to the government and built a 72 hour kit. Then they decided that 72 hours probably wouldn't be long enough for help to get to them if the disaster was bad enough so they started working towards a month's worth of supplies. Once they got to a month's worth they decided that having more supplies wouldn't hurt so they aimed for six months. They also decided that having the ability to do things rather than just live off of a stockpile would be good, so they started learning some skills about the same time as well. After a while of doing this they start thinking about moving into the country and getting a couple of cows and some chickens (well OK, that may just be me, I don't know). It is easy for one thing to lead to another and to wake up one morning and figure out you're not just getting ready for a bad snow storm, tornado, or terrorist attack and instead are prepared for the zombie hoard to top the hill just after the dollar becomes worth less than nothing.
    Aceoky, QKShooter and Caertaker like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Cool

I live in South Florida and I'm an "Everyday Prepper".

I usually have a 30 day supply of food, water, medicines, cleaning supplies, ect.

Small generator and some gasoline.

My biggest concern is hurricanes though the way things have been going lately maybe I should think of upping that a few more months.

Aceoky and QKShooter like this.
    II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer". T. Larkin

Im a prepper, but not like the ones I see on TV. I got really serious about it after Katrina.

Seeing how it went for the folks of New Orleans made me think that we were all on our own, and had better prepare accordingly. I have been weeks without power due to a massive ice storm, (that actually wasnt nearly as bad as one might expect), and lost an entire roof during a tornado a few years ago.

I camp, hunt, fish, kayak, etc. All things with skills & equipment that can come in handy during an emergency.

I dont hunt zombies, so I might be out of luck if that one hits, but maybe I could get by with the other skills I have, lol.
    QKShooter and Betty like this.

You hunt StormRhyder - so hunting Zombies should be simple as can be- they're certainly not as alert as a buck or herd of doe for sure
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

I really hated that show. Not sure if its still on or not. It made talking to family and friends so much more difficult. "Your one of those!: I use to hear. Now they kinda accept it it think it cool we grow food. After eating our pasture pigs and chickens. besides friends know they are welcome if, TSHF You can never prepare for everything or have enough food so don't try.Just worry about having enough to take care of family and friends until you can come up with plan B. Prepping is a mind set where you have the confidence to make due not matter what the GOOD LORD throws at you. Pray we never need what we store, but be thankful we have it if we do need it.
    StormRhydr, Aceoky and QKShooter like this.

You should by now (IMHO at least ) not only have a "Plan B" but maybe even up to plan "F" or better - predicting the future is not most folk's strong suit after all
    QKShooter likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links