Video on tarp shelters

This is a discussion on Video on tarp shelters within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 5 Post By pgrass101
  • 1 Post By ugh762x39
  • 1 Post By pgrass101
  • 3 Post By chiefjason

Thread: Video on tarp shelters

Senior Moderator

Video on tarp shelters

Aceoky, ctr, 1MoreGoodGuy and 2 others like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

2. Remove Ads

Very good stuff....Thanks!
    Aceoky likes this.
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

VIP Member
    Videos are ok for getting ideas. Nothing beats dirt time. Practice in the back yard in fair weather and find out what works best for you, what can you do quickly. Then try it in bad weather. Much better than finding out in the field your choices do not work.
    I find supremely ironic that God in his wisdom and grace has given man freedom of choice bounded by 10 simple rules. Man in his finite wisdom has created millions of rules to limit freedom of choice and the personal responsibility of his fellow man.

Senior Moderator
    Trap shelters are all I used when backpacking, and you're right nothing beats practice
    Aceoky likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I'm a huge fan of tarps. My tarp has survived storms that destroyed tents. And a tarp that stays up keeps you dryer than a tent the rolls down the mountain.

I prefer to have ventilation with my tarp. Plus I'm tall. So I rarely ever stake my tarp to the ground when I A frame it. And now that I use it over a hammock it's even more important. So this is the suspension system I use to raise the bottom of the tarp and still keep it tight. Paracord for the suspension. I use 3 stakes to pull the tarp taught. If I want it closer to the ground, shorten the para cord. Taller, lengthen the cord. This really shines on uneven ground.

pgrass101, Aceoky and ctr like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Links