Sacred Order - one that isn't spoken of

This is a discussion on Sacred Order - one that isn't spoken of within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; Some may have read my mentioning of the sacred order in other threads. I have indeed mentioned the 4 priorities of survival. There is a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: Sacred Order - one that isn't spoken of

VIP Member

Some may have read my mentioning of the sacred order in other threads. I have indeed mentioned the 4 priorities of survival. There is a fifth one, perhaps the most important one, that isn't spoke of. It is mobility.

Mobility. It is worth repeating. The ability to move easily when needed. Why this key part of the order isn't mentioned, why it isn't spoke of, why could that be? Because it is assumed. Physical fitness, stamina, endurance, call it what you will. It is assumed you have it. Why? Because if you don't you are unlikely to survive. There it is, the cold hard truth of nature.

I have read many posts on survival sites and preparedness sites with amusement. You know the ones I speak of before I mention them, don't you? The armchair survivalist. The proud fellow with photos of his setup and great bug out plan. That monster 50 - 80 pound pack with 2 or 3 weapons systems, 3 knives, a machete and 4 gallons of water.

Folks who have little or no dirt time, who haven't done anything physical since high school. These are the folks who don't have mobility. Mobility to walk 7 miles easily within a city. Mobility to run 50 or 100 yards at top speed if needed. They can't do it in good weather in daylight on city streets, let alone across storm wrecked debris fields, or to escape a falling sky scraper in NYC. How about fleeing across a dry grass farm field that caught fire? Nope, can't. No mobility.

I didn't write this post to offend anyone, to criticize plans, gear choices, or any of the unimportant things. This post is a chance to get folks to think about what is really important. To give folks a chance to survive should the unthinkable happen. The situation doesn't matter, only the ability to respond, to mobilize, and to survive. Because you matter.
    Badey, Kutz, gatorbait51 and 13 others like this.
    I find supremely ironic that God in his wisdom and grace has given man freedom of choice bounded by 10 simple rules. Man in his finite wisdom has created millions of rules to limit freedom of choice and the personal responsibility of his fellow man.

Distinguished Member
    I hear what you are saying and will only offer my findings about Bills ability to survive. When I entered the military Survival school I was in the best shape of my life. I had the skills to survive in that I knew how to survive until I realized I was lacking in the preparation of the mind. I found myself looking into the darkest deepest part of my character and soul and it took every ounce of strength I had to overcome frustration fear and mental softness.

Today I find that if I prepare my mind the rest falls in place, if I let my mind become weak I am in trouble. Remember this is just one person me and what I found when put in a situation that required I survive.

Respectfully,
    Bill

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I will never again be the physically fit man my wife married 30 years ago. But I'm mentally prepared to deal with my limitations. Just as I always have taught my kids its good to know how a house is built, how to fix a car, and how to grow a garden. They will be OK too.
    Aceoky, manolito, mano3 and 3 others like this.

Distinguished Member
    40+ yrs ago I was an all American football player. I was mobile as all get out. I had little need to run from anyone. Now, in my mid 60's, multiple knee surgeries including total replacement,. multiple shoulder surgeries, ankle surgeries, sigh. I walk a couple miles a day, Do pushups on the steps to reduce the strain on shoulders, lift a few weights, sorry but that's all I'm doing now. Can't kneel, roll around quickly and sure as heck can't run across a field. Doctor gave me clear directions after the last knee replacement. He said, "You are done running and jumping for regular exercise".

For some of us "elder statesmen" on this forum your words are "nice" but unrealistic. But for those who can, Excellent. I'm happy for you. I work on my shooting a lot more.

Do what you can and don't beat yourself up over what you can't. At this stage I'm not really worried about improving. I just want to slow the decline.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Just for frame of reference, anyone (barring physical restriction such as above) can improve their health. I was almost 300 lbs at one point in my life. I am now down to 165 and in great shape. I once had all kids of issues I was on pills for. Now I am medication free. It's amazing how much better I feel. If we ended up in a survival situation, I stand a much better chance of being able to survive and provide. I agree with the OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Ours is the only country deliberately founded on a good idea." ~John Gunther

Administrator
    Whatever positive measures any individual takes to help insure their survival will increase their respective chances to survive.

An individual who is injured and cannot move will fare better if he/she has food, water, a firearm and some medical supplies.

An elderly individual who is bugging in with supplies and an ability to board up some windows & halt an intruder with deadly force will be better off than a "shut-in" armed with nothing but a defeatist attitude.

Throughout history many people with incredible mobility have moved right into fatal ambush scenarios.

They have moved themselves quickly into an early grave with great mobility.

In survival scenarios sometimes folks with an ability to move have died when they would have lived had they stayed in one place.

The "S" that HITS THE FAN comes in many assorted flavors and the "unthinkable" is available in multitudes of varieties.

Some folks will be in great physical condition but, when disaster strikes they will have their children with them. What to do then? Feed them to the wolves and carry on with great mobility? Of course they will not. But, if they have some water, and food, and a weapon, and a flashlight etc...etc...perhaps they can survive by quietly hiding out in the basement of an abandoned building for a few days until things have quieted down & it is decently safe to move again.

A person could be in tip top condition running from a falling skyscraper and be easily decapitated by a spinning pane of glass sailing through the air at 150 MPH while the guy who stayed seated in Starbucks across the street casually sipping on his coffee remained totally unscathed.

A person could be the first one up out their seat and headed for the EXIT door in a movie theater during an earthquake and be the only one to be crushed by a falling balcony.

My point being that everyone should prepare and do the best they can with what they have. Many limitations are in the mind and not in the physical being.

FATE has much to do with who survives and who does not and FATE favors the prepared who can maintain the will to live and keep their respective wits about them.

Folks should do what they can do to increase their chances for survival (in general) since we never know exactly what will be tossed our way.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    I have attempted to broach the topic of physical fitness on this forum before. Made some people mad by suggesting that making excuses won't help them in the moment of truth and then basically gave up.

I really do understand. I won't be the guy I was 20 years ago ever again. After multiple surgeries, a couple of injuries that can't be helped even with surgery, and arthritis in more places than you'd expect from a 90 year old ditch digger I'm not going to be as stong, fast, or have the cardio capacity as I did as an athlete or a Marine. But that doesn't prevent me from being the best I can be now. Could I grab my ruck and cover the fifteen miles I'd have to cover if I absolutely had to get out of Dodge? Yup, I know I can because I did it a few months ago. Could I cover 100 yards in 12 seconds? Nope, sure couldn't. Can I sprint 100 yards as fast as my broken down feet and knees can possibly propel me forward? Sure can, and I do it regularly.

We all have different strengths and weaknesses in life. It may be that your body is not going to allow you to run three miles or even 30 feet. That's OK, you have to deal with the cards you're dealt. However every single person alive can work to maximize what abilities they do have. Maybe today you can walk 400 yards. If that's all you can do due to health issues, existing injuries, or lack of conditioning that's OK. The key is walking that 400 yards today and seeing if you can push it to 405 yards tomorrow. Five years from now you may be able to walk a mile and a half. Maybe fate will make it so that it doesn't matter how much ground you can cover. But on the converse you may find that you need to walk a mile to find shelter and that you're able to do it when five years before you would not have been able to cover a quarter of the distance.
    Kutz, JDE101, gatorbait51 and 4 others like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

ctr writes...Physical fitness, stamina, endurance, call it what you will. It is assumed you have it. Why? Because if you don't you are unlikely to survive. There it is, the cold hard truth of nature.

I agree, and I also agree with the posters who suggest that many of us might not be physically what we were when compared with our younger days.

I will say that little things count, and exercise can be additive (maybe run or walk a mile or so several times a week rather than one ten-miler per week).

Keep some dumbbells near the television, and do some morning exercises to the news.

Goal-setting is your friend, and stick-to-it-iveness is your best friend.

Oh, and checking w your doc before trying something new and strenuous? Priceless.

Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

The mind will push the body farther than it ever wanted to go. Of course its always best to start with a highly conditioned, well rested, hydrated body to work with. Barring that, you go with the body that brought you here.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    An individual who is injured and cannot move will fare better if he/she has food, water, a firearm and some medical supplies.

An elderly individual who is bugging in with supplies and an ability to board up some windows & halt an intruder with deadly force will be better off than a "shut-in" armed with nothing but a defeatist attitude.

My point being that everyone should prepare and do the best they can with what they have. Many limitations are in the mind and not in the physical being.

FATE has much to do with who survives and who does not and FATE favors the prepared who can maintain the will to live and keep their respective wits about them.

Folks should do what they can do to increase their chances for survival (in general) since we never know exactly what will be tossed our way.
    That is my position to shelter in place. After years of living semi rough, that is to say nuttin' fancy I have an idea how to get by with less and make do.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

VIP Member
    Good, thought provoking posts. A few key themes mentioned by folks that are worth emphasizing. Attitude, or will to survive goes a long way when the deck is stacked. Experience - been there, done that, got the t-shirt to prove it helps a lot. Working with what you can and developing a strategy around that is a good place to start. It is never too late to exercise at any level, including physical therapy if that is your performance envelope. Being willing where most are not.
    gatorbait51 and QKShooter like this.
    I find supremely ironic that God in his wisdom and grace has given man freedom of choice bounded by 10 simple rules. Man in his finite wisdom has created millions of rules to limit freedom of choice and the personal responsibility of his fellow man.

Distinguished Member
    I have enjoyed this. I am 165 pounds and 5'11" tall. I have the ability to be 250 lbs I love food and sweets. I know in my mind that it is up to me what I want out of life. I am not running and gunning for sure. There is a reason the Master Sergeant is listened to and honored with the phrase given to all young officers graduating from O.C.S. listen to your sergeant and you may live through your first six months of combat. I pose the thought lets walk down and meet all the cows.

Reaction times suck and my hearing is terrible. I do believe I am prepared mentally and would not suggest a young spry man try taking on an experienced old man in most cases. Having said that there is a reason there are no old warriors.

I can honestly say this sight keeps my ego in check and has taught me a great deal about many things.
    Recon1342, ctr, QKShooter and 2 others like this.

Everybody has limitations that they must deal with in order to maximize their capability of weathering the unknown. I am 6'6" and weigh 170 lbs. I cannot carry large amounts of weight or lift heavy objects over my head. I have, however, been blessed with the ability to cover ungodly amounts of distance with a light to medium weight load. That capability makes it incumbent on me to do several things: I must pack efficiently, and warmly. I must learn to effectively forage, as I cannot carry everything. Trapping and hunting skills are a must, and I must be good at field expedient shelter building. If I do these things and have a good attitude, my chances of survival increase. Great topic, btw.
    Aceoky, ctr and Patti like this.
    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom.
    Don't ever count on having both at once.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Generally speaking, most survival consideration are formed around:

1. Hydration
    2. Personal Injury
    3. Communication
    4. Shelter from the elements and clothing for the season
    5. Ability to make fire and light
    6. Self Defense
    6. Cutting, Cordage and digging
    7. Food

Mobility can be a bonus but if the absence of mobility is to be considered a significant threat, that idea would hinge on there being a personal danger that cannot be mitigated by any other means other than to flee. That is certainly a possibility and there should be a plan that answers the necessity to flee but where mobility falls on the listed of critical needs- greatly depends on what is happening.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

So while all the mobile fit folks are scrambling about the country side, what about the families? We are only as mobile as our weakest family member. I fall into the elder category with a spouse who is not mobile, and out of shape, single mom daughter with a 9 year old. So while I'd like to dream about the ability to move from safe location to safe location, I won't be leaving my family to fend for themselves. Even our young folks don't have the fitness my generation had with the JFK fitness program. Today, less than half of high school grads can even pass the military minimum standards for entry. We have become a nation of sloths. I admire those that have the ability to bug out with family and kit in hand. But many of us have circumstances that don't permit us to do so. For us, we have to make do with what we have and what we can do.
    Kutz and LimaCharlie like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links