Energy Gels

This is a discussion on Energy Gels within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just thought I'd pass along a valuable resource for prepping, hiking, biking, running, or just getting some quick calories while working outside. Energy Gels ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Energy Gels

Energy Gels

I just thought I'd pass along a valuable resource for prepping, hiking, biking, running, or just getting some quick calories while working outside.

Energy Gels are great for many scenarios. They contain 90-100 calories (depending on brand), and are mostly sugars that are quickly converted into glucose (which is what your body uses for energy). They also contain electrolytes and amino acids, and some contain caffeine (for an added boost of energy).

I keep some in my Get Home Bag, because if I have to take the old "shoe-leather express," home, I am going to need to be able to refuel my body quickly, and I need my fuel source to be available to my muscles immediately.

When you are active, your metabolism actually slows down, so foods you eat take longer to digest, which means they take longer to be converted to energy. Energy Gels are already in as close a form to glucose as you are going to get (outside of actually carrying glucose tabs). Also, Energy Gels can be eaten on the run, literally. Marathoners and cyclists eat energy gels while racing, to keep their bodies going.

Also, they are available in a wide range of flavors, like chocolate, vanilla, salted caramel, raspberry, espresso, salted watermelon, peanut butter, and many more...

At around $1.50 a pop, I think they are well worth including in your preps, B.O.B., or camping pack.
    Last edited by Badey; May 28th, 2014 at 07:27 PM. Reason: add content
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    What is the shelf life for this product ??
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    What is the shelf life for this product ??
    Its "best by" date is about two years, but I'm assuming that, like most things, it is probably good for about twice that long.
    welder516 likes this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Administrator
    Interesting. I never heard of the product. Good post.
    welder516, Badey and Aceoky like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

You may think they're a good deal but I don't. A lousy 90 calories for a buck fifty a pop? The old saying 'a fool and his money are soon parted' comes to mind.

For $1.50 I can get 2 candy bars minimum and in the neighborhood of 400 to 600 calories. Thanks but no thanks, I'll take my 500 calories and save 4 bits.

When I was a teen my Mom often would mix up a small bowl of peanut butter and pancake syrup and eat it before she left for work. You might want to try that instead. Mix up a batch and pack it in one of those squeeze tubes made for backpacking. Eat it right out of the tube. No muss no fuss and no empty package to throw on the ground when you're done with it.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Its "best by" date is about two years, but I'm assuming that, like most things, it is probably good for about twice that long.
    Or get yourself some 27.5 ounce cans of Valley Gem Country Style Baked Beans. Distributed by Franklin Foods Inc. Knoxville TN 37909. This can I ate cold earlier today (like 5 hours ago gives me 960 calories) and was Best by June 2008. Today is May 28, 2014 which is just shy of 6 years after the 'use by this date.' I feel fine. No upset tummy or queasiness. These beans are good cold or hot.

Except for the poor living in America folks generally eat too much in this country. Don't believe me? Just go to WM and count the over weight the fat and the obese and tell me I'm wrong. It wouldn't hurt any of us to miss a meal now and then. I seldom eat 3 meals a day.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    You may think they're a good deal but I don't. A lousy 90 calories for a buck fifty a pop? The old saying 'a fool and his money are soon parted' comes to mind.

For $1.50 I can get 2 candy bars minimum and in the neighborhood of 400 to 600 calories. Thanks but no thanks, I'll take my 500 calories and save 4 bits.

When I was a teen my Mom often would mix up a small bowl of peanut butter and pancake syrup and eat it before she left for work. You might want to try that instead. Mix up a batch and pack it in one of those squeeze tubes made for backpacking. Eat it right out of the tube. No muss no fuss and no empty package to throw on the ground when you're done with it.
    While what you're saying is true, these product do fit a specific need. One of my other pastimes is long distance cycling, these gels provide an easy to carry and consume source of calories. For backpacking I would go with food bars with a low sugar content.

Senior Moderator
    1 ounce (about 28 g) of peanut butter has about 160 calories in it mostly fat (14 g fat, 2 grams protein). Mix it with honey, 1 ounce of honey has 85 calories and it is all sugar mostly fructose and glucose, it also contains electrolytes.

I am pretty sure this mixture would be cheaper than the gel packs
    Aceoky and surefire7 like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    1 ounce (about 28 g) of peanut butter has about 160 calories in it mostly fat (14 g fat, 2 grams protein). Mix it with honey, 1 ounce of honey has 85 calories and it is all sugar mostly fructose and glucose, it also contains electrolytes.

I am pretty sure this mixture would be cheaper than the gel packs
    It would be, but the peanut butter would take a while to get into your system, and the gels are in a sealed container that stores conveniently.

The advantage of these is that the fuel source gets to your muscles in minutes, even while you are active.

Also, if you want to save money, there are recipes for making your own gels online, but for as infrequently as I use them, is rather spend the extra money and have something that stores easier and is in a sealed Mylar package.
    Aceoky and pgrass101 like this.

I am an endurance runner and I have used hammer gels during races for years. You eat them when your level of exertion is such that you would puke up anything else. They are good for what they are. I have found for training and economy purposes, another good way to mainline sugar rapidly is to eat gummy bears. Training intensities are less that race intensities, and gummies are cheaper. It's another option.
    Dsbjax and Badey like this.
    They think they don't need firearms because they never have needed them.

"God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal (more or less)."

Practice makes perfect.

Some of you are comparing apples to oranges. These gels are made to get into your system fast and that's what they do. My favorite is Strawberry/Banana flavored Gu. I eat one about every 3-4 miles when running and I can tell when it hits the muscles in my legs. Candy bars would not get the job done near as good.
    Dsbjax and NickBurkhardt like this.

Administrator
    I just bought six and for the miniscule added weight I am going to pop a few into the old B.O.B.
    Aceoky and Badey like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

+1 on gummi bears. The gels and similar are really easy to make. Look on YouTube for some videos. I make them using poweraid or Gatorade as the base

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." -G.S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Interesting. I never heard of the product. Good post.
    Same here, thanks for letting us know very interesting
    QKShooter and Badey like this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    You can eat that crap if you want. Here's an alternative that has 190 Cal, 18 Gr Carbs, and 1.6 gr proteins. A bottle of Guiness beer. Live well. Calories in Guiness Beer - Calorie, Fat, Carb, Fiber, & Protein Info | SparkPeople

Happypuppy likes this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links