3 Days - 3 Meals A Day - Ramen Noodles? OK ?

This is a discussion on 3 Days - 3 Meals A Day - Ramen Noodles? OK ? within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am always in favor of shaving off weight & for 3 Days I can tolerate anything in the way of food. In fact for ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree128Likes

Thread: 3 Days - 3 Meals A Day - Ramen Noodles? OK ?

Administrator

Question 3 Days - 3 Meals A Day - Ramen Noodles? OK ?

I am always in favor of shaving off weight & for 3 Days I can tolerate anything in the way of food.

In fact for 3 Days I can go without food.

But.....

Tossing a few Mountain House or Backpackers Pantry into the old B.O.B. would not add much weight or take up much more space.

Your opinion on this Video?

Lugging multitudes of canned food is automatically out for me.

MREs I am 50/50 on.

This Vid DID give me the idea of smashing the contents of a few Mountain House Foods inside their original sealed pouches so that they lay a bit flatter in the pack - since changing the actual consistency of the meals would not bother me one bit. AKA Beef Stew Paste when boiling water is added.

But, if you LOVE Ramen Noodles this would be a workable way to save Money, Weight, and Space for bare bones survival food. I guess.

Member Comments - Member Personal Opinions - Always Welcome.
    Aceoky and Naufragia like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I am not familiar with this guy, but I am thinking he must not have spent much time in the field when he was in the Army. Trying to claim that the MRE as packaged is about the same size as it will be when you strip it and throw it in your pack us just ridiculous. When you take everything out of the outer package, dump all the boxes, and throw away the extra spoons and condiments the meals get pretty small. No, it isn't going to be as small as the Raman noodles all crunched up, but it isn't going to be nearly as bulky as it was to start with.

As far as his objective, we are in America. He is talking about a bag that needs to sustain you for 72 hours. Simply put, nobody I know would have physical issues going 3 days without food. Food can make things easier, particularly on the mind... but isn't necessary. Worrying about 2500 calories per day is something I'm just not going to do. I have a 72 hour bag, and it has food in it. The plan is 1 power bar (PB&J) every 4 hours. Six per day for three days means 18 power bars. Doesn't take up much room, does what I need it to do, and works for me. If he prefers Raman noodles, that's just as valid. If someone wanted to pack some MRE's that's fine too. But no real need to overthink the food situation when you'd likely be just fine if you didn't eat at all.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

This video seems to be aimed at someone starting from the beginning - which isn't bad. For me his choice of the three categories is akin to me choosing which lady I want to go home with tonight: Sofia Vergara, Angelina Jolie or Nancy Pelosi - ain't gonna happen. Three days of anything is not ok with me if I can prevent it. I've never actually eaten a MRE but I have had my share of freeze dried backpacking foods and I can tell you that after 3 or 4 days I really started to crave something else. So if I have the luxury of preparing ahead why not mix and match?

Although not specifically mention I would like to introduce the issue of regularity. I know this may violate the sensibilities of polite society but for me its a very real concern. Any disruption of my normal routine seems to have an adverse effect on my regularity. I can only imagine the impact of packed 18 Power Bars into my system. Do yourself a favor and throw some Colace in your bug out bag. Senokot if you think you'll need it. I know its only three days but sometimes things have a way of stretching out longer than you expect. Hey where did everyone go?
    QKShooter and Aceoky like this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

I am in the camp that the man is over thinking the issue. I am also of the opinion that if your situation is for three days then you need to have some food and some of that should be "comfort food". Pyschologically a person might be in more of a world of hurt than nutrionally for 72 hours. Throwing in a box of Cinnamon/brown sugar poptarts can certainly brighten ones day when there is a SHTF scenario.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

While I fancy myself to someone who knows how to prepare... You guys are taking me to the woodshed. This is the stuff I need to hear, and act on.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    When you take everything out of the outer package, dump all the boxes, and throw away the extra spoons and condiments the meals get pretty small. No, it isn't going to be as small as the Raman noodles all crunched up, but it isn't going to be nearly as bulky as it was to start with.

But no real need to overthink the food situation when you'd likely be just fine if you didn't eat at all.

For a 2-3 day excursion, an overabundance of food is the last thing I'm thinking of.

Have gotten stuck for several days beyond plan, on a couple occasions. And having a few bars of stuff in the sack to tide us over helped quite a bit. But far more important was sufficient water, a good compass, dry socks and the proper clothing. Of course, things change beyond a few days, as food = fuel = heat, energy, thinking ability, and all the rest. Bad juju to go without, for more than a few days.

Still, I'm with you, Echo. A handful of bars or little "power" tablets can do wonders for filling the void and remaining fairly healthy, while cutting vastly down on the bulk of a full load-out in the pack. Never have liked the pre-packaged stuff anyway; too expensive, too bulky, generally; and there are several good alternatives that work just as well for a 1wk trip or less.
    QKShooter and ctr like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    My wife and I have made our own prepackage meals, out of rice, noodles, bullion and dried meat. Just add hot water and you have soup. Dried beans have to be presoaked unless you boil them and then dry them.

We also mix peanut butter and honey and seal it in bags, my boys consider it a treat.

Popcorn is light and is a good treat, all you need is a little oil and a pot with a lid.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Lead Moderator
    Having done some light weight hiking/camping I am sure I would not want to eat ramen only for three days straight. I usually have a few ramen in the pack , but also mix up some MRE's , freeze dried food and snack type stuff (crackers,jerky,ect). Ive done hikes 10 miles with 30 lb packs and 50 lb packs, either can be done , it's Just a matter of speed and comfort or need for the environment.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Actually rocky....in his Video and in his storage configuration that would be Ramen Noodle Paste for three days straight.

I think that another (slight) downside to Ramen is that the powdered bullion packages contain a lot of MSG (or at least they did) - I am not sure if that is still the case but, back when I was eating Ramen I used to discard those packages and substitute bullion cubes.

Though admittedly in a survival scenario the last thing any hungry person is going to worry about is MSG...unless a person has food allergies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

General Note: There are some Mountain House options like the Chicken Salad (which is actually not bad) where you add cold water and do not need to boil water.
    The Chicken Salad on some crackers is a decent change for a camping meal and the package lays very flat.
    pgrass101, rocky and Aceoky like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

For a 2-3 day excursion, an overabundance of food is the last thing I'm thinking of.

Have gotten stuck for several days beyond plan, on a couple occasions. And having a few bars of stuff in the sack to tide us over helped quite a bit. But far more important was sufficient water, a good compass, dry socks and the proper clothing...
    You're exactly right. You can get stuck beyond the time frame you were planning for. My 72 hour bag is intended for a trip that should take a few hours. (I mentioned it in a thread a couple of days ago- the walk is 15 miles.) I plan for 72 hours due to the simple fact that things can end up differently than you were intending. You have to draw the line somewhere, and that bag was designed to get me through three days. If something is going to take longer than that I have different gear. If I end up getting surprised and the 72 hour bag went with me and I needed to plan for something of a longer duration... well there's a reason skills are always more important than stuff.
    QKShooter likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Administrator
    Some very worthwhile posts in this thread. Keep on keeping on.
    Aceoky likes this.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    I am not familiar with this guy, but I am thinking he must not have spent much time in the field when he was in the Army. Trying to claim that the MRE as packaged is about the same size as it will be when you strip it and throw it in your pack us just ridiculous. When you take everything out of the outer package, dump all the boxes, and throw away the extra spoons and condiments the meals get pretty small. No, it isn't going to be as small as the Raman noodles all crunched up, but it isn't going to be nearly as bulky as it was to start with.

As far as his objective, we are in America. He is talking about a bag that needs to sustain you for 72 hours. Simply put, nobody I know would have physical issues going 3 days without food. Food can make things easier, particularly on the mind... but isn't necessary. Worrying about 2500 calories per day is something I'm just not going to do. I have a 72 hour bag, and it has food in it. The plan is 1 power bar (PB&J) every 4 hours. Six per day for three days means 18 power bars. Doesn't take up much room, does what I need it to do, and works for me. If he prefers Raman noodles, that's just as valid. If someone wanted to pack some MRE's that's fine too. But no real need to overthink the food situation when you'd likely be just fine if you didn't eat at all.
    It's all I carry in my SAR pack, light and substantial in food source/minerals/vitamins. I carry 10 powerbars and that's good for 2 days of humping hard in the mountains for me.
    Echo_Four and QKShooter like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Administrator
    I have the DATREX emergency food bars - SURVIVAL TABS (fantastic product but on the heavy/bulky side) & various flavors of the MILLENNIUM Food Bars as "throw in" options for a real SHTF scenario where things could possibly get very extended and well over 3 days.

For general camping (which will sometimes be with the Mrs.) it's Mountain House - one DATREX pack - and a couple of Millennium bars as insurance if something goes goes wrong....which would be a rare and unlikely occurrence.

I may just SMASH UP & pulverize a few packages of Ramen though.
    ctr and Aceoky like this.

As far as his objective, we are in America. He is talking about a bag that needs to sustain you for 72 hours. Simply put, nobody I know would have physical issues going 3 days without food. Food can make things easier, particularly on the mind... but isn't necessary. Worrying about 2500 calories per day is something I'm just not going to do.
    very good point

As a person absent any medical "issues", I am much more worried about water than I am food. To that end, I keep a datrex food brick [16 bars] in my BOB which is about 1 pound. Thats it, and it will have to be good enough because I am not going to carry a pantry.

Camping and recreation is one thing.. [survival] is something else. I dont need all that stuff to survive but yeah if I was camping I would lug more food as a simple pleasantry.
    QKShooter likes this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    It's all I carry in my SAR pack, light and substantial in food source/minerals/vitamins. I carry 10 powerbars and that's good for 2 days of humping hard in the mountains for me.

Just curious. What specific Power Bars are you packing since there are about 100 different brands on the shelves these days?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Folks who are packing various Power Bars can chime in on what brands they feel are best and most useful and beneficial.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links