Good Resources - Print/Online/other

This is a discussion on Good Resources - Print/Online/other within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; Quick question - just wondering if any of you know of any good reading resources (online/print/other) for camping, equipment, survival, etc. - other than the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Good Resources - Print/Online/other

Quick question - just wondering if any of you know of any good reading resources (online/print/other) for camping, equipment, survival, etc. - other than the stickies above? I figured there are some forums and some good reading and I would you pick your brain to find the good rather than do my own sorting. Thanks.

If you are looking for the old ways of doing things look into the Foxfire series. Boy scout manual is a good one. The New Wilderness Handbook by Paul Petzoldt. (One of my college professors is in the group on the cover.) NOLS Cookery. Both of those books are used for the Wilderness Education Assoc Certified Outdoor Leader courses. Which is a fantastic course if you have 30 days, or the mini course is 14. Most anything put out by the WEA or NOLS will be solid.
    rwhite1 and Badey like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Once upon a time in the 70's there was the "WHOLE EARTH CATALOG"
    Easy8 and NONAME762 like this.
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

If you're interested in an organized collection of electronic info, drop me a PM. I've got a pretty decent collection of stuff being passed around via snail mail to interested parties.
    As far as hard copies of books, what specific areas did you want information on? Theres a core group of prep/survival references out there and you can find a lot of other material on Amazon or at used book sales for fairly reasonable prices if you don't care to have the newest latest edition

Back to Basics

Encyclopedia of Country Living

+1 on the Foxfire series as well. I have several of the books, and they cover topics from knife-making and hog butchering to making pine tar and cheese making.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    Wilderness Survival Skills - How To Stay Alive In The Wild With Just A Blade & Your Wits
    By Bob Holtzman

Wilderness Survival Skills by Bob Holtzman | 9780785828754 | Other Format | Barnes & Noble

Lots of good stuff in this book.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Kennydale, do you remember Divine Rights Trip
    NONAME762 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    Once upon a time in the 70's there was the "WHOLE EARTH CATALOG"

If there was ever any doubt...you've blown it you old fart!!

OP you might want to try the Last Alaskan Whole Earth Catalog. Mine has a blue cover versus the original which is black. As Chief Jason suggested the Foxfire Books are another great resource.

If you're curious about shelters in general...adobe log stone rammed earth (Earthships) cob cordwood and straw bale try The Shelter Book. OK 15 minutes of systematic searching turned up nada. I think someone stole this book. Rats. Published in the 1970s it is a collection of off grid one of a kind creations. Several tree houses were featured as well. Real Swiss Family Robinson stuff with running water and handmade elevator for freight or people.

Another good book is How To Stay Alive In The Woods by Bradford Angier written/published first in 1956. Fourteenth printing in 1971. This book should be in every bush plane survival kit. Laid out in 4 parts: Sustenance Warmth Orientation and Safety. I've had this book since at least 1975.

Firearms, Traps and Tools of the Mountain Men by Carl P Russell. Many fine black ink sketches and drawings of knives traps tomahawks and axes small cannon and swivel guns beaver trapping and processing hides. Talks about Jedediah Smith Jim Bridger and Lewis and Clark. 448 pages. It is a historical narrative concerning the role the mountain man played in the Old West from 1800 to the mid 1840s. If you want to get down to the nitty gritty of life on the American Frontier read and study this book then try to go out and do it.

A most excellent magazine that I need to re up my sub to is http://Backwoods Home Magazine.com Get the paper version . Then when the grid goes down you can read back issues by candle light. I took this mag for 20 years. Had to give it up when I got retired by the Park. I can afford it now so gonna get back into it. Mas Ayoob who is well thought of is a regular contributor. I met the publisher 20+years ago at a preparedness show. A real character he is and super knowledgeable. Claire Wolfe is one of his top writers as well as a published writer of books. Get some of her books-she is one smart cookie and a Patriot as well. I have 5 or 6 of her books. Get dialed in with Paladin Press. You won't find their books at Barnes and Noble unless they have a section on resistance fighters, this is how Victor Charles did it and such as that. Get in touch with MOM of Noxon Montana. They also sell books.

Look into whether or not the Outward Bound School in Colorado is still up and running. They offered rock climbing backpacking river rafting orienteering (map and compass) in the 70s and 80s. Techniques it could take years to master can be mastered during their 4 week outings.

That should keep you busier than a one legged man in a sack race.

up!
    rwhite1 and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Kennydale, do you remember Divine Rights Trip

DUDE you are sooooooo lucky my LWEC is under 50 pounds of books udderwise I'd dig it OUT!! I should 'member her name but alas...I do not. Laughed my keester off when I read that bit! Divine Right in his V Dub micro bus. I got the brain freeze a goin on here...time to pull out my Cheech and Chong LP...

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Back to Basics

Encyclopedia of Country Living

+1 on the Foxfire series as well. I have several of the books, and they cover topics from knife-making and hog butchering to making pine tar and cheese making.
    You left out the best book. The one about Shine Makin'
    Badey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    You left out the best book. The one about Shine Makin'
    Foxfire 3 (I think...it might be 2) has some moonshine recipes, plans on how to make a still, and basically a step-by-step guide on how to distill moonshine, from start to finish.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Foxfire 3 (I think...it might be 2) has some moonshine recipes, plans on how to make a still, and basically a step-by-step guide on how to distill moonshine, from start to finish.

Ya shore you betcha Badey!! I bought the FB with Shine making because it talked about Shine making.

The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery is supposed to be the absolute BEST BOOK on this subject. Out for around 20 years it was 20+years ago I learned of it. I don't have this book myself.

If the OP is serious about off grid type hand built housing Google this character: Sun Ray Kelly. He's an old Hippie half an hour from me. He was the main engineer for the roof design of a strawbale house close by out in the county. Sun Ray built his own house 40 years ago. Three stories and much of it is old growth cedar. Soap stone is incorporated throughout the house. Massive stone fireplace he hauled the rock off his own land. Picture a roof that is similar to that of traditional Japanese architecture and add the quirkiness of Sun Ray into the mix and you will be amazed. He loves working with *cob* which IIRC is an early form of brick originating I think in Europe a thousand or so years ago. Cob is just the right mixture of mud/clay and straw. A couple years ago I was out there while he was putting the finishing touches on his latest cob cottage. He does run workshops year round showing alternative building methods. He is pretty amazing actually. Not like most of us here. He's not a gun person. He very well could be a bleeding heart liberal. It is his land and he hardly ever leaves it to go to town. He drives a dandy old truck with a handmade towing rig on it. If the driver looks like a wild looking long hair with beard you're most likely looking at Sun Ray.

The way I look at it is this. His land his rules. Same as me. My land my rules. Should be that way all over the planet.

I'm turning into the Ramblin' Man agin...

up!!
    I should live in such a cool place.

Ya shore you betcha Badey!! I bought the FB with Shine making because it talked about Shine making.

The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery is supposed to be the absolute BEST BOOK on this subject. Out for around 20 years it was 20+years ago I learned of it. I don't have this book myself.

If the OP is serious about off grid type hand built housing Google this character: Sun Ray Kelly. He's an old Hippie half an hour from me. He was the main engineer for the roof design of a strawbale house close by out in the county. Sun Ray built his own house 40 years ago. Three stories and much of it is old growth cedar. Soap stone is incorporated throughout the house. Massive stone fireplace he hauled the rock off his own land. Picture a roof that is similar to that of traditional Japanese architecture and add the quirkiness of Sun Ray into the mix and you will be amazed. He loves working with *cob* which IIRC is an early form of brick originating I think in Europe a thousand or so years ago. Cob is just the right mixture of mud/clay and straw. A couple years ago I was out there while he was putting the finishing touches on his latest cob cottage. He does run workshops year round showing alternative building methods. He is pretty amazing actually. Not like most of us here. He's not a gun person. He very well could be a bleeding heart liberal. It is his land and he hardly ever leaves it to go to town. He drives a dandy old truck with a handmade towing rig on it. If the driver looks like a wild looking long hair with beard you're most likely looking at Sun Ray.

The way I look at it is this. His land his rules. Same as me. My land my rules. Should be that way all over the planet.

I'm turning into the Ramblin' Man agin...

up!!
    I should live in such a cool place.

Nuts. Double posted again. My Gateway is really on the skids. Since these 2 are back to back the same if Mod deletes one I am fine as can be with their assessment on this occasion.

Have at it boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8
    Kennydale do you remember Divine Rights trip?

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post

DUDE you are sooooooo lucky my LWEC is under 50 pounds of books udderwise I'd dig it OUT!! I should 'member her name but alas...I do not. Laughed my keester off when I read that bit! Divine Right in his V Dub micro bus. I got the brain freeze a goin on here...time to pull out my Cheech and Chong LP...

I'm pretty sure her name was Esther. Or least wise started with an E. My LWEC is still under 50 pounds of stuff just 10' away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links