Hydration aids..........

Hydration aids..........

This is a discussion on Hydration aids.......... within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; Im curious IF anyone has tried this product & what your thoughts are on it. Oral IV Ultra Concentrate Hydration Fluid Thanks!...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Hydration aids..........

Senior Member Array Christopher67's Avatar

Question Hydration aids..........

Im curious IF anyone has tried this product & what your thoughts are on it.

Oral IV Ultra Concentrate Hydration Fluid

Thanks!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Thumbs down

Try water.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Senior Member Array Christopher67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    Try water.
    Yea have that lol.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    If it works as well and as quickly as an IV, it might be worth a try if your body needs emergency hydration in very strenuous situations. I can't see how the average Joe would need it though. Gatorade or some other sports drink contain quick acting electrolytes that act better than water.
    StormRhydr and gatorbait51 like this.
    A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
    ― Edward R. Murrow

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpsufan View Post
    If it works as well and as quickly as an IV, it might be worth a try if your body needs emergency hydration in very strenuous situations. I can't see how the average Joe would need it though. Gatorade or some other sports drink contain quick acting electrolytes that act better than water.
    Pedialyte is really good for that as well.

Good for hangovers too.

EDIT:

This stuff just looks like concentrated Gatoraide.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by From the FAQ on the product's web site
    What are the ingredients in ORAL I.V.?

ORAL I.V.s proprietary formula is comprised of a complex of crystalloid electrolytes.

The bio-electrical potential allows our electrolytes to moderate hydration and water metabolism more efficiently.

As a result, ORAL I.V. uses far less amounts of sodium and potassium ... Sodium and potassium are less than 1mg per dose, which is <1% of DV.

Sounds good, I suppose.

Trouble is, they don't list the electrolytes that are included. Yet they're claiming that the content of the electrolytes Potassium and Sodium are both less than 1mg per serving.

I'd have trouble buying into something without knowing the content of what it is they're saying is good for you.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Id like to know if that stuff, (or something like it) works, too. Once your body gets to a certain point, generally speaking, you cant take in enough fluids to fix the problem. Or fast enough.

I already keep gatoraide type products on hand to stave off dehydration, or ward off heat stroke, (however you like to put it), but something with an extra boost for times when you cut it close, would be nice.

I got very dehydrated once, and my body essentially didnt work. I was passing out, and collapsing. It sort of came out of no where. It was caused by a RX, so I never expected it.

Anyway, I headed to the DR asap, and had a long session with a big IV dose of fluids. What struck me most about the IV was, that after it was finished, I FELT GREAT! Just GREAT! There were no "drugs" in it. Just being rehydrated did wonders for me.

So, if that stuff works, I want to keep a bit of it around the house.

I don't trust it.
    Keep yourself hydrated.
    I carry a 20 oz gator ade bottle of water at work, guzzle it often, refill from the water jugs around the plant.
    Not a practical approach for everyone but it works for me.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Work outside in Florida from May-October and you will become a hydration expert or die. Bottle of Powerade or Gatorade daily with as much water as you can hold will do the trick.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Administrator
    I have a few of these exact same packets in my SHTF medical kit.

Addition: What did I base my medical expertise on?
    Manufactured in the U.S. & not in China & I bought them on ebay and several hundred other (unknown to me) people bought them so I figured that (law of averages) at least half of them probably know something that I don't with regard to product quality and usefulness.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    What a lot of people don't realize is that water will not hydrate you quickly enough. You need potassium, and salt also. Good example, if you've ever watch sports being played on a hot day the players hardly ever drink water, it is usually some sort of electrolyte like Gatorade.
    A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
    ― Edward R. Murrow

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpsufan View Post
    What a lot of people don't realize is that water will not hydrate you quickly enough. You need potassium, and salt also. Good example, if you've ever watch sports being played on a hot day the players hardly ever drink water, it is usually some sort of electrolyte like Gatorade.
    Quickly enough for what exactly? What are you doing that's causing you to lose so much electrolytes and fluid that water and maybe a banana aren't setting you straight?

It's true if you are a professional athlete playing at the peak of the heat of the day that you may benefit from something other than water. Same goes for manual laborers in the hot sun. Although with the amount of salt in most people diets, extra salt is not really necessary. Maybe 40 years ago before the main ingredient in everything was salt.

In cases like that, the something like Gatorade makes sense. If your not straining yourself to the point of dehydration and blacking out, Gatorade isn't really necessary.

What's really funny is to watch someone at the gym run on a treadmill for an hour to burn calories, then pop the top on a bottle of Gatorade and replace every one of those calories with sugar.
    OPFOR likes this.

You see sports teams drinking that garbage because of sponsorships. Gatoraid and similar products have a ton of sugar in them. Barring the consumption of real food and you've been going hard for an hour or more (Though, I think it's closer to 3. Elite marathoners drink nothing but water and don't die), adding some table salt to your tap water will do you just as well.
    firerat likes this.
    ... evil will always triumph because good is dumb! - Dark Helmet

I try not to over-intellectualize it.. I have managed well over 40 years to stay reasonably hydrated by drinking water throughout the day. Is there a measurable science to hydration?... sure, but I keep my survival needs basic. Need water, water good, drink water...stay alive. If others want to make it a science experiment, they can but I will just drink some water and get on with it.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

VIP Member
    Stuff works. I got some in a grab bag from LA Police Gear a while back. If you need gatorade this will accomplish most of the same stuff. Of course, it isn't going to replace a lot of water- so don't think it can replace water in your planning.
    Christopher67 likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links