Long Gun for a Get Home Survival Situation

This is a discussion on Long Gun for a Get Home Survival Situation within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; Like many others here, I travel with some supplies in my vehicle that should most likely come in handy if I were to find myself ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree279Likes

Thread: Long Gun for a Get Home Survival Situation

VIP Member

Like many others here, I travel with some supplies in my vehicle that should most likely come in handy if I were to find myself in some sort of a survival situation.

I recently finished reading One Second After and now I'm reading the book Going Home by A. American and I find myself reevaluating things.

My business keeps me mobile most days and sometimes I will be 60+/- miles from home by direct driving route. While 60 miles is not an extremely far distance to travel home, at the very least it is a several day trip if it were to become necessary to travel by foot and it could easily turn into a 100 - 120 mile trek if there were a reason to avoid certain areas prompting a less direct route home through some less densely populated areas where bushcraft and survival skills would be needed. While the likelihood of it becoming necessary for me to make the long indirect trek home is probably slim, I prefer to be prepared to do it if it does happen to become necessary.

One of the things I travel with is a "get home bag" which contains water, food and various supplies. Among these supplies are extra ammo and a rifle. Currently my rifle is a Mossberg 715T which is an AR style .22LR which will look like one of those "evil black rifles" to the under informed.

I've been contemplating changing out this rifle with one of my "real" AR's or even possibly getting a new Sig 556 SBR to fill the role of the get home rifle.

556-SWAT-SBR-thumb-R.jpg

556-SWAT-SBR-Thumb-bty1.jpg

556-SWAT-SBR-heroDetail.jpg

The other thought is to switch out the 715T for a new shotgun such as the Mossberg 500 JIC (Just In Case) or utilizing either my Remington 870 Express Tactical or My Remington 870 Express Tactical Blackhawk.

870 Blackhawk.jpg

870-Express-Tactical.jpg

Mossberg 500 JIC.png

The most cost effective solution is to stick with the 715T or utilize one of my existing AR's or 870's. Funding the purchase of the Mossberg 500 JIC is easily doable ($400) while funding the purchase of the Sig 556 SBR would be very painful but doable ($1,200 - $1,700).

My reason for wanting to switch out the 715T is to go with a more substantial long gun that packs a little more "oomph" should there be a situation were more "oomph" would come in handy.

If it was your choice to make…

Would you stop over thinking it and stick with the 715T?

Would you switch it out for one of the existing AR's?

Would you switch it out for one of the existing 870's?

Would you purchase the Mossberg 500 JIC?

Would you purchase the Sig 556 SBR?

Would you purchase a different long gun and if so what?
    Aceoky likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

SBR need to have a formed filled each and ever time they cross state lines so not a good idea ..

IMOP get a underfolding AK like a pap etc for 500 bucks ..
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Right now my current pick is a dpms 223 but only as I am found one sub 500 .. Really I know I will be out on the road a lot etc I would bring a undefolder with at min 6x30 round mags + a 50 cal can of ammo .. The gun is cheep enough that if any thing happens not a massive losss.. X39 is a nasty round and pack a wallop and ever one even non gun people speak ak so to speak ...

Underfolder is compact more so imop then any normal AR would be .. The 556 is close as it is piston and folds to the side so that would be a decent choice as well just not SBR as that is way to much to deal with esp for a "truck gun"

Same with the 556 I rather lose a 500 buck pap then a 900-1k + sig

as for the shotguns I like the survial guns but my worry is the pistol grip pumps are only good for one thing they are scary and close range .. I rahter have a police mag with a folding stock then a pistol grip pump ...

Also x39 is basicly 30-30 so in a last ditch it will kill deer etc if you need to survie ak not ext the best hunting gun but better then 22 etc

At one point in the past I would say something like a mini 14/30 etc as a truck gun but the pricing now no way

IMOP a x39 round gun is a good bet be it a sks or a ak you can find either gun starting at 270 or so for a sks banger to 400-500 for a banger AK .... Again not a fancy gun but does the trick

Also if you are talking a lot of urban stuff I would look at the keltec folding 223 or 9mm/40 cal offerings a bit more discert then a AK or AR ... But out in the rual lands I would go AK as the guns were meant for crap condations and untrained people

I mean you really want the cqb shtf gun . Buy a m92 handgun and SBR it for 800 bucks toal with stamp and you have a way nasy thing but again just cant leave the state with it withouth paper or this IMAG0485.jpg

this is the npap g3DdSTEl.jpg

For me what I pick dependes on where I am going around town or the big city either the sub 9 9mm or the 223 dpms .. long ways /wild lands a x39 with a crap ton of mags and ammo
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Another thing to think about is a dual use PCC .. IE get a long gun that use the same mags as your handgun ... Good bet too .. But not the omp of a full bore ... But say a glock 23 and a sub 2000 with a couple of 15 and 22 round mags and ammo that imop is also a hard to beat set up .. Plus nice and compact gun you can easily fit it all in a normal laptop bag
    oneshot and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.

Well dont have all the fancy stuff like evil blacks and such. I leave my state its usually on a motorcycle so a long gun aint in the cards.

For me in state its the SKS with a surplus med bag full of stripper clips to the tune of about 200 rounds or the shotgun. Usually the SKS

In your spot with MY wallet Id go with something I already have probably one of the 870s
    1MoreGoodGuy, Aceoky and GWarden like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    Another thing to think about is a dual use PCC .. IE get a long gun that use the same mags as your handgun ... Good bet too .. But not the omp of a full bore ... But say a glock 23 and a sub 2000 with a couple of 15 and 22 round mags and ammo that imop is also a hard to beat set up .. Plus nice and compact gun you can easily fit it all in a normal laptop bag
    I would agree. I see that as the best solution as well. Another option is a 357 lever action and revolver to match. Shotguns are very heavy as well as the ammo.

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." -G.S. Patton
    1MoreGoodGuy and pgrass101 like this.

VIP Member
    I would get one of the Kel Tec Sub-2000 in 9mm, .40, .45, or the SU-16(.223) or a Hi-point carbine in any of the calibers(9mm, .40. or .45)
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I like the sub 2000 option that uses the same mags as your carry weapon. You could also go the ar pistol route with the Sig tac arm brace.

-Jason
    Last edited by Jab73180; June 9th, 2014 at 07:30 PM.
    1MoreGoodGuy and oneshot like this.

Senior Moderator
    Since I carry a .357 revolver a .357 lever gun makes sense to me, plus it doesn't attract unwanted attention when the stuff hasn't hit the fan.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I'm looking for a lever action 357 to fill this need. 18 or 20" barrel. Same ammo as my pistola.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

For that situation have you considered a High Point carbine? (I'd go with .45 ACP as sharing ammo with my 1911s would make sense)
    oneshot, 1MoreGoodGuy and OD* like this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

VIP Member
    Well…

I stopped in at the local gun store earlier today in hopes of finding a replacement rifle and I was unable to find a rifle which would seem to fit my needs.

I did however find a very nice pistol and not wanting to leave the store empty-handed, I decided to purchase the pistol.

Let me know what you think…

Sig PM400.JPG

Sig PM400 -2.JPG

Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I got rid of my Sig 556 for AR-15's. There isnt enough after market stuff for Sig 556's and they are super heavy. I got rid of it for this Rainier Arms rifle

and recently purchased this AR pistol to use on road trips.

1MoreGoodGuy and Aceoky like this.

This is comforting on long trips...

I also usually pack 2 or 3 magazines with XM855 Green tip on these road trips as well.
    1MoreGoodGuy and Aceoky like this.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Links