Defense/Snake Gun: Taurus Judge 4510 or Charter Mag Pug 73520

This is a discussion on Defense/Snake Gun: Taurus Judge 4510 or Charter Mag Pug 73520 within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm new to this forum, but not new to firearms. That being said, I have read reviews concerning both of these revolvers for defense and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Defense/Snake Gun: Taurus Judge 4510 or Charter Mag Pug 73520

Question Defense/Snake Gun: Taurus Judge 4510 or Charter Mag Pug 73520

I'm new to this forum, but not new to firearms. That being said, I have read reviews concerning both of these revolvers for defense and snake control. I have also held each gun and they both fit my medium sized hands nicely. Decent sight-picture as well. However I have not been afforded the opportunity to shoot either due to the location of the owner or dealer. I would like to hear from others who have experience with each weapon and pros/cons of each as well. I am more than adequately trained in pistol/ revolver use from childhood as well as having professional training. A huge selling point for the charter arms is price, and as awesome of a concept as the judge is, i have heard that the shallow rifling causes 410 shot to spread very rapidly while also robbing the .45 colt round of accuracy past 10-12 yards. The .357/.38 spl "snake shot" seems reliable enough to dispatch an ornery copperhead or rattler at reasonable distance (a few feet to 5 yds,) and I like the flat-shooting .357 and that you have the option of cheaper .38 rounds. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Ads

Since you opened the "any input" door, I would have to tell you to check out the Ruger SP 101 and the S&W Mod 60. They are worth the extra money.
    5lima30ret and Aceoky like this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Thanks! I really appreciate the input and that u took the time to answer my post. I agree that the SP101 is an excellent choice, however I do want something that has single action capability and just abit less expensive. So far I've dealt with other brands in the price point and nothing else has caught my attention. I have decided to go revolver for the simplistic design and ease of use, as my wife would also be able to utilize it as a night stand gun.

You can get a used SP 101 pretty reasonable have seen them on gun broker under 400 just keep a eye out.

I think the utility of the Pug trumps the stretched size and unwieldiness (to me) of the Judge. Unless I lived with a yard full of snakes and needed the snake shot every day, the .410 option for defensive use is way down on my list of choices. Of your two choices, I'd go with the Pug in a heartbeat.
    bamaboy8807 and Aceoky like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I just got a brand new Ruger GP100 (3 inch) for $550 at Grabagun.com ... awesome price for a $729 MSRP gun.

They have the Ruger SP101 357MAG 2.25 in stock right now for $478.01 ... you really cannot beat a Ruger revolver. They are built like a tank, and will last for many years. I wouldn't try to save a few bucks to buy a much more cheaply made gun that may end up being problematic.
    5lima30ret and Aceoky like this.

Well it might also be important to point out that i can get the pug for $300 cash while the judge would run about $519. Basically would the judge be worth the extra cash? I do like the overall versatility and practicality of a .357, but i've been drawn to the judge for larger caliber, and the new 410 handgun loads that seem to pattern well with it (ie: Winchester pdx1)

Sculling Choctawhatchee River

"Snake shot" usefulness is over hyped in my experience. The .38 shot-shell is good moccasin medicine at 10 feet. 15 feet is pushing it. You can hit the snake with a full wadcutter farther, and it will make a good splat. Jacketed HP will not open on the light resistance of the snake.

Try to line up for a longitudinal shot. Keep in mind that at 10 feet the bullet will strike a little under the point of aim.
    Aceoky likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    When you say "Snake Gun" I don't think of a .410 pistol. I think high polish, melty looking bluing, buttery double action, a vent rib, a big under-lug,...rampant!
    5lima30ret likes this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

For the record I love Ruger. Had a Blackhawk in 45 lc that was amazingly accurte and reliabl . Was stolen a couple of years back and right now I simply can't find one locally under $595-$700. The only reason I am even considering the judge is that total price is right. at $520 with tax. That would be the very top of my budget. The Rugers all top out at $630 and up.

Quote Originally Posted by bamaboy8807 View Post
    For the record I love Ruger. Had a Blackhawk in 45 lc that was amazingly accurte and reliabl . Was stolen a couple of years back and right now I simply can't find one locally under $595-$700. The only reason I am even considering the judge is that total price is right. at $520 with tax. That would be the very top of my budget. The Rugers all top out at $630 and up.
    whats wrong with ordering online and paying an extra $25 or whatever transfer fee at a nearby FFL? Usually can still save a lot of money. $478.01 for a SP101 at Grabagun.com, + 5.99 shipping + $25 FFL transfer fee... (no tax since they are in Texas)... that would be $509 for Ruger SP101, cheaper than the Judge.

Handgun .410 loads do work good for killing snakes and other things though... I know a few people who own Judges and only 1 ever had an issue with his that had to get it repaired... but Charter Arms? there is a reason they are so cheap, and inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson44546 View Post
    whats wrong with ordering online and paying an extra $25 or whatever transfer fee at a nearby FFL? Usually can still save a lot of money. $478.01 for a SP101 at Grabagun.com, + 5.99 shipping + $25 FFL transfer fee... (no tax since they are in Texas)... that would be $509 for Ruger SP101, cheaper than the Judge.

Handgun .410 loads do work good for killing snakes and other things though... I know a few people who own Judges and only 1 ever had an issue with his that had to get it repaired... but Charter Arms? there is a reason they are so cheap, and inexpensive.
    I will definitely have to look at online options. i have browsed gunbroker.com, gunsamerica, gunsinternational, cheaperthandirt, budsgunshop, etc. I just haven't been able to find the type of deal described in others' posts. P.S. my carry gun (and duty weapon for transport/hospital duty) is a Gen3 Glock 22, and this would be a secondary sidearm and something the wife would be comfortable shooting. That's why i would prefer a relatively inexpensive SA/DA revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by bamaboy8807 View Post
    I will definitely have to look at online options. i have browsed gunbroker.com, gunsamerica, gunsinternational, cheaperthandirt, budsgunshop, etc. I just haven't been able to find the type of deal described in others' posts. P.S. my carry gun (and duty weapon for transport/hospital duty) is a Gen3 Glock 22, and this would be a secondary sidearm and something the wife would be comfortable shooting. That's why i would prefer a relatively inexpensive SA/DA revolver.
    I suggest a bit more patience and diligence if you're looking for another Blackhawk on line. I needed one as a base gun for a project, and started looking in December. Even with a tight budget of $350 tops, I was able to find a clean, unabused BH within 6 weeks of looking. If you can spend maybe $450, there are at least a dozen on GunBroker right now in .44 or .45 cal.
    bamaboy8807 and Aceoky like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Now if i wanted just a pure unadulterated snake killing poison, I would go with a Super Comanche .45/410 breech-action single shot. *Gasps and four letter words from the "namebrand" gun snobs.* People totally misunderstand that this gun is NOT meant to look pretty, be a ccw, or even a main self defense arm. Its soul purpose is to be a reliable (meaning it goes bang every time,) side arm for the hunter or avid outdoorsman. I have shot one and they are surprisingly accurate with .45 colt or 410 shot/slugs. They come with a 10" barrel, 2 chokes (1 for .45, 1 for 410,) and for $200 nib its pretty hard to beat. I know I will catch some flack and be told just how "little" I know guns, but its the truth. Don't knock it if you haven't shot one. And of course it would not be comparable to a $700 S&W Governor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links