The "uitemat"' technique

The "uitemat"' technique

This is a discussion on The "uitemat"' technique within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; A simple technique for surviving while awaiting rescue at sea that saved the lives of teachers and children following the March 2011 Great East Japan ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By 1MoreGoodGuy

Thread: The "uitemat"' technique

The "uitemat"' technique

A simple technique for surviving while awaiting rescue at sea that saved the lives of teachers and children following the March 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake and tsunami is spreading across the globe.

The method is called "uitemate," meaning "float and wait" in Japanese. It entails floating spread eagle face up while awaiting rescue...
    On March 11, 2011, children and faculty at a seaside elementary school in Higashi-Matsushima, Miyagi Prefecture were forced to evacuate to their school gymnasium in the minutes following the quake.

Some of the teachers and kids were caught in the rising waters in the massive tsunami that followed, but they survived the harrowing experience by using the uitemate technique.
    Might come in handy if you're ever in a flood situation.

The Asian Shimbun
    Last edited by Naufragia; June 30th, 2014 at 06:27 PM.

VIP Member
    So the advice is, if stuck in deep/rising water one should try to float and keep their head above water and hope to be rescued.

I'm glad I read this…all this time I thought I was suppose to sink and try to breath the water.
    pgrass101, Aceoky and FreeFalling like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I can't float on my back unless I'm moving. Drives me nuts.

Links