CRKT Woods Kangee T-Hawk (first Impressions)

This is a discussion on CRKT Woods Kangee T-Hawk (first Impressions) within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just got this brute and I have not had a chance to test run it yet but on first impressions.....its a beast of a Hawk. ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By pirate
  • 1 Post By Badey
  • 1 Post By 1MoreGoodGuy
  • 1 Post By CIBMike
  • 1 Post By Madcap_Magician
  • 1 Post By QKShooter

Thread: CRKT Woods Kangee T-Hawk (first Impressions)

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar

CRKT Woods Kangee T-Hawk (first Impressions)

Just got this brute and I have not had a chance to test run it yet but on first impressions.....its a beast of a Hawk. The Woods Kangee is designed by Ryan Johnson of RMJ Tactical. The head is a very solid hunk of 1055 carbon steel. The factory edge was relatively sharp for a hawk. It is a heavy tool and those who want to throw it may find it a bit too heavy at almost 2lbs for that activity but it would hold up well to throwing.

The T-Hawk has primary and secondary edge bevels that are flat ground. The 19.5" wood handle is made in the USA from Tennessee hickory. It's sealed with a clear lacquer coat. I think this tool is well suited for camping, wood work and general around the yard chores. It would also make a formidable weapon/entry tool if pressed into those roles. I like it a lot on first impressions and will put it to work soon. It does not come with a sheath but CRK&T makes a leather sheath that can be purchased separately. I paid $49 shipped for this Hawk. CRK&T makes another Woods hawk named the Chogan which has a hammer head instead of the spike. This setup may be better suited for some users.

CIBMike and Aceoky like this.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

2. Remove Ads

That's a nice looking tomahawk! I have a couple of CRKT knives, and like them; they're a good deal for the money.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Nice looking hawk.

I like the Chogan with the hammer head.

Woods Chogan T-Hawk.jpg
    Aceoky likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I am loving it.
    Aceoky likes this.
    The easy way is always mined.

I like the target. May have to add that to my list of things to do, not that I've ever thrown an edged weapon in my life.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Looks like the edge might benefit from a more acute profile and convexing, but that may be me.
    QKShooter likes this.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Administrator
    Congrats.

Agreed. If you intend to use it for a lot of chopping at some future point in time ~ you might want to eventually give it a long convex edge AKA more like a traditional AX.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Madcap_Magician View Post
    Looks like the edge might benefit from a more acute profile and convexing, but that may be me.
    The edge on this hawk is actually the same general profile as most hatchets and axes. What you are seeing in the side views is the polished edge which may give it a secondary or v bevel look but that is really not the case with this edge. I have many other job dedicated axes, hatchets and hawks, so this hawk is more for fun and games for me anyway.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Really neat looking hawk!

Awesome looking hawk. I have been wanting the CRTK Kangee for quite a while...just havn't pulled the trigger yet. Anybody have one?

H

Every hawk I've ever owned I got at a Rendezvous. Used it some for kindling and threw it now and then. Never paid more than $15 for a hawk but then that was 25+ years ago so I reckon they went up some.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Links