What Would You Do?

This is a discussion on What Would You Do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Police investigate murder-suicide I knew these people years back. I disassociated myself from them, for obvious reasons. I had thought the dispatcher was a shooting ...

Thread: What Would You Do?

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar

What Would You Do?

Police investigate murder-suicide

I knew these people years back. I disassociated myself from them, for obvious reasons.

I had thought the dispatcher was a shooting friend of mine, but it turns out it was her co-worker - a nice lady herself.

I've been going over in my head what I would have done here. I would have called 911 of course, but what else...? Would I have taken the shot? I have immediate access to two guns that are more than capable - a Camp Carbine .45 that I haven't been able to choke - it wears an electronic dot sight, and an SKS with an AR style aperture rear - the 0-2 is drilled out to a ghost ring while the 3 is small for accurate shooting.

Either can take a head shot on a human at 50 to 100 yards. The Camp Carbine .45 sorta' lobs them though, and it would be shooting high at 25 yards, and low at 100. I do not know the distances involved yet, and won't until the investigation is complete and I can get the measurements from the PD.

So I'm thinking the SKS - but that sucker has shot down trees, and I'd hate to think what it would do in town. I use HP ammo, Wolf Classic - it is made to frag unlike Wolf black box stuff - and does a good job of it - but I'm not convinced the core would stop in a body.

Then there's the .22 rifle. I have no doubt that with the time I spend with that (at least 500 rounds at 100 yards per week, 4.5 to 14x 'scope life sized chipmunk silhouette shooting) that I couldn't put a 40 grain HP through an eyeball standing, rested.

Kids were in the car. Not really concerned with the adults at this point. The children were of paramount importance here. No shotguns with buck.

I dunno - I actually think I would have taken an ocular shot with a precision .22LR in this situation as there wouldn't have been any overpenetration and a hollowpoint should bite in, penetrate into the brain bucket, and scramble things there.

What's your analysis of this shooting? What do you think you would have done?

Josh

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    You left something out unless you wanted to shoot dead people.

VIP Member
    You're not really suggesting that you could have possibly intervened?

Domestic disputes are crazy. You usually can't tell what's going to happen until it already has. I have neighbors two doors down that I could have shot 20 times over, given the lethal intentions that they display towards each other. That's just how they fight. One day it's gonna be an ambulance instead of the cops coming over, but I'm not gonna be second-guessing myself.

Sometimes you gotta let the crazies go, and try to stay out of their line of fire. My heart is breaking for the kids here.

I think I would have intervened after the woman was shot.

Reason being... was he going to go after the kids?

Josh

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
    I think I would have intervened after the woman was shot.

Reason being... was he going to go after the kids?

Josh
    True dat. Shot fired, standing over the car with kids in it. I guess I'd be drawing a bead if I was there. 'Just a nightmare of a situation. The story wasn't clear to me if the kids had run into the house before or after the shot was fired.

I think it was right before.

But the question was... was he going to follow the kids?

This is why I like this exercise here: It's sorta' confusing. So are these situations as they're unfolding.

If we can figure it out in "slow motion," if you will, then we might be better prepared if it should ever happen in real time.

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    True dat. Shot fired, standing over the car with kids in it. I guess I'd be drawing a bead if I was there. 'Just a nightmare of a situation. The story wasn't clear to me if the kids had run into the house before or after the shot was fired.

From the article.....

"Before the shot, apparently she was in her vehicle, put the vehicle in reverse and hit a stump. Her three and four year old boys were in a backseat, and they went out of the car and ran into the house," Kirk told NewsChannel 15.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

I would have to say, i would have locked my door and provided as much information to the responding police officers as i could have. If the person with the firearm came onto my property after doing said conduct, i would have defended my family and property.

No Win Situation for third parties

This is one of those times that I would not get in the middle of by shooting the husband. I might call out to him or sound some type of alarming noise, but domestic disputes are turned on and off so often that you could be arrested for shooting at the husband.

Maybe the wife who is breaking the court order has a gun in her lap. Maybe the wife has a love have relationship with the husband.

Way too many unknowns.

Now, if after he shot the wife he pursued the children, that would be different.

Capt. Art

evo
    Quote Originally Posted by twocan View Post
    This is one of those times that I would not get in the middle of by shooting the husband. I might call out to him or sound some type of alarming noise, but domestic disputes are turned on and off so often that you could be arrested for shooting at the husband.

Maybe the wife who is breaking the court order has a gun in her lap. Maybe the wife has a love have relationship with the husband.

Way too many unknowns.

Now, if after he shot the wife he pursued the children, that would be different.

Capt. Art
    I second this one. Too many unknown.
    Benjamin Franklin: "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."

I'd sit back and take a drink from that sweet canteen.

In a situation like this, the overwhelming advice from previous similar threads seems to always reference "being a good witness". As far as this one, (wife dead, kids gone, broad daylight in a neighborhood full of potential witnesses) I think hindsight would seem to lean towards the shooter only being interested in the wife, but that's just my .02. IMHO, the prudent thing to do would be to call 911 and provide information to the responding agencies. In addition, think about being the cop responding to the call if a civic minded individual decides to intervene with a deadly weapon: he turns the corner and is now faced with two people, both holding weapons. Who's the shooter and who's the good guy? There's a few ways this could be resolved safely for all concerned, but about a million ways this could end badly. Better to stay away and be a witness at a trial or coroner's inquest than to be referred to as the "well intentioned dead neighbor".
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

Detective Jim Kirk--man I hope he makes Captain someday, that will be too funny!

Wow,

I was the Army recruiter for Wabash from 1996-1998. I lived over on Jones St.

Nothing to add, but I haven't thought about Wabash in a long time.

Links