You just never know......this happened at a funeral !

This is a discussion on You just never know......this happened at a funeral ! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by KiltedTexan My Dad was also a WWII veteran, and I have great gratitude for the service your Father rendered to our nation. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: You just never know......this happened at a funeral !

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KiltedTexan View Post
    My Dad was also a WWII veteran, and I have great gratitude for the service your Father rendered to our nation. Through years of pastoring, and associating with funeral home personnel, I know times of intense grieving can bring out the worst in some folk... which should heighten our SA, not lessen it. Glad this particular occasion worked out as it did for you, ppk.
    Thanks, he was a good guy and well-represented the "greatest generation".

It was interesting hearing all of those stories of his while growing up. I bet it was quite an adventure for a young man from rural Louisiana. He adapted very well to military service overseas and re-adapted back to home when he was discharged.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I feel for you. I buried my WWII SeaBee dad last Christmas (the same time of year my mom died). The holiday season has become very depressing for me now.

I wouldn't have been overly alarmed with the guy, would have viewed him more as an interruption. But that's me. I can't go through life on "condition red."
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I feel for you. I buried my WWII SeaBee dad last Christmas (the same time of year my mom died). The holiday season has become very depressing for me now.

I wouldn't have been overly alarmed with the guy, would have viewed him more as an interruption. But that's me. I can't go through life on "condition red."
    Sorry about your Dad.

You are right, the bicycle guy was a potential interruption. I never actually saw him so I didn't know anything was going on at all. Even if I saw him, I'm pretty sure I'd only gone up to "condition aggravated".

I used this example of something strange and unexpected as a "you just never know for sure these days what to expect. "
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

GREAT POST. I would like to comment about your link. My Dad too was WW2 Army Air Corps vet. He would have been 88 this past Monday, he passed away in Jan 2005. I'm retired from LE and living in the South since 2006, I work for a large supermarket chain. The highlight of my job is helping out the seniors. While there are less and less WW2 vets , their Korean War "younger brothers" still seem to be around. Either way, these folks are a national treasure and should be honored and their company enjoyed at any opportunity. God Bless!
    Last edited by JD; June 5th, 2010 at 10:39 PM.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

I'm a funeral director, and carry concealed everyday...you never know when you will need it, and trust me I've seen just about everything that can happen at a funeral!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RNG27 View Post
    I'm a funeral director, and carry concealed everyday...you never know when you will need it, and trust me I've seen just about everything that can happen at a funeral!
    You would definitely know; thanks for the input that supports why I started this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I post about this incident because it supports the philosophy of being armed all the time.
    Yup. Anytime, anywhere. Even at a funeral.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Just so I understand this forum better.

It is more likely to engage a homeless pistol packing nutcase at a funeral who happens to be riding by, then it is to encounter a pysco sexual preditor in a restroom?

LMAO.

It is of course expected to put no less then 6 COM hits into the rider?

ink
    guy had a lot o nerve (or mental problems) to crash a funeral like that. a lot of people handle the grief in different ways so he had no way of knowing what he could have run up on doing what he was doing. id say he was pretty lucky that he got intercepted before he was able to fully interfere

Quote Originally Posted by basicbosch View Post

It is more likely to engage a homeless pistol packing nutcase at a funeral who happens to be riding by, then it is to encounter a pysco sexual preditor in a restroom?

LMAO.

Glad to see you engaged and joining the conversations. Fluid shock wave high fives buddy!

To the OP and others, we are currently losing on average 1800 WWII vets a day. They are a great loss to our society.

Fluid shock wave high fives!
    You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    sorry for your loss, I carry as much as possible. I carried to my uncles funeral (also a wwII vet.) I feel naked when when I can't carry!!! school functions are just awful can't have my piece.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basicbosch View Post

LMAO.

Sorry, I'm not quite getting the point you're making, especially the 6 hits on Center Of Mass part? Maybe post #9 above might clear things up a bit?

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    guy had a lot o nerve (or mental problems) to crash a funeral like that. a lot of people handle the grief in different ways so he had no way of knowing what he could have run up on doing what he was doing. id say he was pretty lucky that he got intercepted before he was able to fully interfere
    Yeah, the possible "mental problem" issue is worrisome, and him potentially being offended by being asked to leave could have caused him to escalate things much further. I'm glad it all worked out quietly.

Sorry about your loss. We are losing the Greatest Generation far too quickly. More than ever this nation needs the example of these great men and women whose entire generation exemplified the meaning of duty honor courage integrity and service.

Was going to pass on this but I keep thinking that from your other post your dad might just be the kind of guy who would befriend some one regardless of their social economic status. The guy on the bike might of actually been a friend come to pay his respects. Hope not.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Was going to pass on this but I keep thinking that from your other post your dad might just be the kind of guy who would befriend some one regardless of their social economic status. The guy on the bike might of actually been a friend come to pay his respects. Hope not.
    You are exactly correct there. He was big-hearted and compassionate, always willing to help someone else. Socio-economic status meant little to him, actually he was more comfortable conversing with someone who was needy. However, I'm positive the guy on the bike had never met my father whatsoever. It was just a random situation at the cemetery.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links