You just never know......this happened at a funeral !

This is a discussion on You just never know......this happened at a funeral ! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I post about this incident because it supports the philosophy of being armed all the time. Sure there are places and settings that you feel ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    VIP Member

I post about this incident because it supports the philosophy of being armed all the time. Sure there are places and settings that you feel "safe", just as there are places and settings you feel uneasy. You never know for sure, so don't compromise your safety by assuming some places are 100% without threats.

Here's what happened to us recently, and it shows how unexpectantly things can change in seconds.

We were attending my fathers funeral (WWII veteran) a few weeks ago and were all gathered at the gravesite concluding his final services. We're in a very nice cemetery on the edge of town, almost rural, major highway nearby. I'm sitting under the "green tent" facing my Dad's casket, attendees standing outside of the tent mostly to our backs, the pallbearers are on the opposite side of the casket from me, their backs are to the major highway that is somewhat nearby. Because of where I was sitting, I couldn't see any of this happening, but here is the story as I was told:

During the closing prayers, a guy on a bicycle, with stuff hanging off of it comes riding up the grass toward us behind the standing pallbearers. I can't see him because my view is blocked by the casket. He was described to me as sort of like a homeless-looking person. The lady funeral director spied his approach and wanted to intercept him from potentially disrupting the services. She trotted toward him with her finger over her lips signalling him to be quiet.

As she got closer to him, she whispered, "You've got to be quiet".
    He says, "I'm here to pay my respects"
    She says, "You need to leave".
    He says, "I'm part of the family".
    She says, "No you're not".

About this time her male co-workers had eased toward this minor scene and the guy on the bicycle took that as a cue as time to leave, and he left, peddling back toward the highway.

It didn't upset me, in fact I found it sort of funny. This occurred about 20-30 feet behind the pallbearers and it was handled so professionally by the staff that hardly anyone noticed it. The funny thing is the pallbearers, there were definitely 7 out of 8 of them that the homeless guy would not want to mess with.

Anyway the point of my story, you'd normally not had any thoughts of a potential threat riding up on a bicycle in a setting like that. Who knows what mental condition this guy was in and how he'd react to being ask to leave? Who knows what he had in the bags on his bicycle.

BTW at least two of us were armed, not that we felt threatened to be at a funeral, it was just our daily "wear".

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...i-veteran.html
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Sorry about your father, I thank him for his service to our country. You are very correct in the fact that it could have been bad if this man on the bike would have become upset.

Stay safe, Stay armed

I am sorry for your loss :(

I agree normally I am the "Paranoid" one who noticed people comeing and going, funeral security like me (been to ALOT of funerals). Safer then sorry and better armed with at least a pen if nothing else. Always been my thought on safety.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Sorry for your loss! And always be armed and safe!
    S&W M&P 9C
    RUGER LCP
    S&W 5906
    COLT DET. SPEC.
    S&W 686-6"
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck", Author un-known

Talking about using a gun at a funeral? On a homeless guy with a bike?

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supergrade View Post
    First, welcome to the forum. Secondly, I don't think anyone suggested using a gun on a homeless man riding a bicycle - it was to point out that you never know whats going to happen and it pays to always have your gun with you. What if the individual had pulled a gun and started shooting?
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Alte View Post
    First, welcome to the forum. Secondly, I don't think anyone suggested using a gun on a homeless man riding a bicycle - it was to point out that you never know whats going to happen and it pays to always have your gun with you. What if the individual had pulled a gun and started shooting?
    You are right.....thanks for emphasizing that to the newer member
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Alte View Post

Thats a pretty big what if given the circumstances.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Supergrade View Post
    Would I shoot a homeless guy on a bike at a funeral? NO

Would I shoot a homeless guy on a bike at a funeral when he pulled out a pistol and pointed it at me or someone in my family? VERY LIKELY

This is a Defensive Scenario thread, and it's described as "Real or hypothetical, discussions regarding when you should or should not draw your weapon, shoot or not shoot, attack or retreat is valuable to each of us." The point I was making with this thread is contained in my first post, which I'll repeat here for you:

You never know for sure, so don't compromise your safety by assuming some places are 100% without threats.

I hope this clears it up for you.

Chicago Mindset?

SuperGrade:

I see you are from IL. Is that coloring your judgment?

This post is clearly about how things could go bad in any innocent circumstance. Noone is suggesting shooting bikers.

Capt. Art

Really sorry for your loss..............but the story seems comical to me.

But, you just never know................

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Really sorry for your loss..............but the story seems comical to me.

But, you just never know................

I didn't know it was going on at the time, and I wouldn't have found it funny if this guy had disrupted the services. I did find out about it later, and the whole thing did seem sort of funny and strange all rolled into one. Great job by the staff in proactively curtailing this guy.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure ppk's point is you never know, anytime anywhere comes to mind.
    I am going to a funeral home tomorrow, myself, to pay my respects and support a friend who has buried 2 sons in less than 6 months.
    Several of those in attendance are known to have issues, drugs, alcohol, attempted suicide, etc. Not the kind of folks I normally spend time with, and those who leave me feeling uncomfortable. I will be armed and no one will know but me.
    Most likely nothing will happen, but honestly, you never know.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I agree, the point of this thread was that even in the places where people feel "safe" (churches, funerals, wherever else), anything can happen, and you need to be ready for the unexpected.

I attended a funeral just yesterday with my girlfriend. She usually gets onto me pretty hard if I forget to strap on the gun. When we got back home from the funeral, I took my shirt off to change into something more comfortable and she saw my gun. She asked if I had actually carried it to the funeral. She knows I carry to church and everywhere else I go...I was surprised to see her wondering why I did at the funeral.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Sorry for the loss of your father, a WWII vet who clearly was part of the greatest generation!

As to funeral interruptions and possible deadly threats, yes, we all know it can happen anywhere, anytime. While the incident presented was merely a distraction, it should serve as a reminder to all of us.

For those who live in towns and cities where large gangs work with impunity, don't lose sight of the fact that while the funeral you are attending may not have any threat, there may be a funeral close by where the deceased is a gang member in which that funeral ceremony may be disrupted by violence.

It is not uncommon for a rival gang to seek revenge during a funeral as there is a high likelihood there will be a target rich environment of rival gang bangers paying their respects.

So, while it has been a rare occasion where I have attended a funeral and graveside services where another funeral is taking place 50 yards away, it has happened once or twice. I always take the time to profile the area and look around to see what the attendee's of the other services look like.

Stay safe out there, and again, my condolences for the recent loss of your father, ppk.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links