Thats my dog!!

This is a discussion on Thats my dog!! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Isn't it a little bit of a hypocrisy to think that we are a forum that doesn't advocate violence yet most members carry firearms to ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thats my dog!!

Isn't it a little bit of a hypocrisy to think that we are a forum that doesn't advocate violence yet most members carry firearms to protect themselves by violence against violence. Ironic.

Regardless, I enjoy this forum. And so if I am in violation of rules please forgive me. I will refrain from further advocation of violence. But I do enjoy the UFC!

To the OP, I hope everything works out for you.

2. Remove Ads

Lightbulb Don't Take Everything Personally

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    I'm with Hopyard on this one, and you are condoning violence again in the above post. While you are entitled to your opinion as we all are, you are not entitled to express it on this forum if it violates the rules that you read and agreed with before you started posting.
    Agreed. Nothing personal here, just a fact.

Agree with that too!
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

I'm Cubans Biological Father, that's what his mother calls me anyhow. He was raised very well, and his Dad didn't spare the rod. I commend him for doing a good job. Violence is not always the answer, sometimes it is the only answer.

While I think the (implied?) recommendation of violence is disturbing, it's also not likely a real solution. Just an escalation.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I'd just start cleaning all my guns in the back yard ,I don't think he would be pulling his BB gun out again
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

As far as violence,If you start a fight here in Texas,and the guy you attack pulls a knife or a gun and you respond by shooting him,you will be going to Prison.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I don't want you to think I condone violence. This appears to be an ongoing problem. My one neighbor has dogs that bark a lot. Another neighbor ask him to please keep the dogs quiet. Well that was an argument, so every time the dogs barked the police were called. After the third time he was given a barking dog ticket ($300). He tried to fight it,but the judge told him to get bark collars for his dogs. I never really heard the dogs, but I was impressed with the fine. Just keep calling the police, maybe that will help. Oh yea it is very quiet down the street now. I guess those collars work.

Quote Originally Posted by cuban11182 View Post
    Isn't it a little bit of a hypocrisy to think that we are a forum that doesn't advocate violence yet most members carry firearms to protect themselves by violence against violence. Ironic.

Regardless, I enjoy this forum. And so if I am in violation of rules please forgive me. I will refrain from further advocation of violence. But I do enjoy the UFC!

The key words are to ''protect themselves''. It is a justifiable defense to use violent measures to ''protect yourself'' or a third party when you are in danger.

It is against the law to use violence to settle a dispute. There is a distinction between lawful use of violence and vigilante justice. I am an animal lover who will protect them but I will do so in a lawful way or I am no better than the person I am at odds with.

FWIW, I had a neighbor shoot my rottie ''Cujo'' with a BB gun many years ago, I was spitting blood mad. It took a lot of resolve but I did not beat the tar out of him or even threaten the jerk. I called the police and let them handle it.

Some years later Cujo was at the vet for some x-rays and sure enough the vet showed me where the BB was still lodged under the skin and into the tissue a little ways. I was just as mad as day one all over again but knew that confrontation was not an option.

I only tell you that story so you know that I can relate to the OP's story.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

AzB
    Can you open carry in your state?

Quote Originally Posted by cuban11182 View Post
    Not really. I'm a very peaceful man. I haven't been in a fight since the 4th grade and I'm closing in on my 6th decade on this rock. And that's including years of hanging out in bars (as a musician) and riding with outlaw bikers. I would be the last person to start a fight about anything.

But if you threaten me or my family (and our family definitely includes my dog) with violence, I will not back down or be intimidated. If you perform violence on my or my family, I will do whatever it takes to stop you.

So no, there's really no hypocrisy. The gun is simply a tool that I hope to never use.
    Last edited by AzB; March 13th, 2010 at 10:29 PM.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Tie your dog up outside, set up a video camera or two and keep 911 on speed dial...

I would not engage this guy in conversation as he seems to be a wako.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Ya know, there's just something about a dog...Man's Best Friend..and especially if it's your dog and a guy is trying to harm it.

IMO, if the dog is not running loose or trespassing onto the neighbors property and he is intentially trying to harm your dog on your property and delierately shooting at it.....

Well then....................... It's On.

Since most helpful hints on how to deal with the neighbor have been covered..... I'd like to interject with a suggestion.... How about taking "you" and your dog to an "Owner/Dog" training school.... I'm not saying your dog did anything wrong(I love dogs, I tolerate people).... But you will find that over all that will be the best thing you can do for you and your dog......
    Chinese Proverb:
    "When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others."
    VCDL member (DE.357;Ruger 4" GP-100 .357;Ruger 2.2" SP-101 cc hammer .357;BT .380cc.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Morse View Post
    The back of my parents house has been littered with BBs, I asked this here because the only other advice i was given was to crack a 7mm round back at him, and thats not something im willing to do at this point.
    Show them to the police and if they are unwilling to do anything about it, take it higher, ask for their supervisor, if no satisfaction their, go to the City Managers Office and make a formal complaint with him/her, that usually sparks a lot of interest on everyones radar.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by Morse View Post
    I am going over there to talk to him, i will be civil and level headed when i do but first it is time to take some pictures
    Make sure you have a credible witness present. In case he turns hostile, there is some one neutral that can describe to LE exactly how it all unfolded. CYA.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    As a side note: Are Animals considered property in Virginia?
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links