Thats my dog!!

This is a discussion on Thats my dog!! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need advice on what to do concerning my dog and my neighbor. I just moved out of my parents house and into my own ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thats my dog!!

Thats my dog!!

I need advice on what to do concerning my dog and my neighbor.
    I just moved out of my parents house and into my own apartment. My parents are keeping my dog while i get settled in. My dog is a one year old black lab. I went to check on Bo (my dog) two weeks ago and while i was over there the neighbor let out his little chiwawa dog and Bo went nuts. Now Bo is on a chain mind you, so he cant chase down this man. The man went into his house and grabbed a BB gun and started shooting at my dog. I was furious, i didn't really know how to respond so i called the police. The police go to the man and he tells them he is target shooting. Police bid him a good day and said make sure you watch your backstop and left. Now yesterday I am back over there and guess what he has his BB gun again. What should I do
    Morse

"A lack of preperation on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine"

2. Remove Ads

If my neighbor starts shooting at my dog with a gun (any kind), we are going to have a 'conference'.:yup (Recorded, of course...)

Set your dog up for another round of target shooting and get it on video tape...then call 911 while your neighbor is becoming a 'movie star'.
    If the dog gets hit, shave the spot and take photos at the vet...make sure the vet does a complete exam (your neighbor is going to cover all the costs+...)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I suggest you look for BB's in your parents yard and for any injuries to your dog. If you find any of either you should call the police and have them tell this guy to stop immediately or have them press charges.

Another way to go would be to have a get a lawyer to cause this guys life to be very difficult - if you have a lawyer you can work with or who will do it for free.

Luke
    "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
    John 3:16

The back of my parents house has been littered with BBs, I asked this here because the only other advice i was given was to crack a 7mm round back at him, and thats not something im willing to do at this point.
    Morse

Quote Originally Posted by Morse View Post
    The back of my parents house has been littered with BBs, I asked this here because the only other advice i was given was to crack a 7mm round back at him, and thats not something im willing to do at this point.
    Take pics and make a 'paper trail'...careful, watch for possible poison traps set by this idiot.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I am going over there to talk to him, i will be civil and level headed when i do but first it is time to take some pictures
    Morse

Like everyone else has said, get pictures and video evidence. Shooting him would be a bad idea since you know its a BB gun and your life is not in danger.

Good luck getting it all sorted out, I've had crazy neighbors my entire life. I'd love for once, to have neighbors that like dogs.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Good luck. Any dirtbag that would shoot at a chained pet deserves whatever (legal) action you can take to make his life difficult.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by Morse View Post
    I am going over there to talk to him, i will be civil and level headed when i do but first it is time to take some pictures

Maybe I am old school, or maybe being raised by a Army Paratrooper, but if words don't work, sometimes other actions are called for. I'm not an advocate of violence, but some people don't respond well to words. This is based on what I was taught by my old man, and my 10 years of military experience.

That's what I would do, but I love animals.

(Flame suit on! I realize, I am going to get ALOT of flak for this)

VIP Member
    Dog is at your parents? It is your parent's neighbor? Then perhaps they know more about this guy than you do and perhaps they should be the one to deal with him.

In any case, it probably is illegal to fire a bb gun in city limits, certainly it is illegal to shoot at the dog. It is weird that the police left the guy with no action taken. Maybe he had a noise complaint of his own? Of course, there isn't much they can do if they don't witness a misdemeanor. They can't arrest him or issue a citation. They can't cite your parents for the noise if the dog is quiet when they are there.

HOWEVER, that doesn't mean you can't file a complaint, I've forgotten the terminology, that would cause the police to have no choice but to bring him to court.

Here's the analogy. Years back our neighbor's teens played loud music all through the night. Their sub-woofer shook our walls. Somehow, whenever the police were summoned, the music stopped when the officer arrived.

They informed us that there wasn't anything they could do, but that there were forms I could fill out which would effectively press charges but through a different route than had they heard the noise. (I'm talking code violations not civil).

Your parents should take photos of the BBs left in their yard and find out how to press charges against him, or how to get a civil order that he not fire into your yard.

The downside--- a guy who would do that is more than an idiot. He is probably a dangerous fool with no self control and no concern for anyone else. Pushing him on this issue may push him into more serious actions of harassment against not only the dog but your parents.

This is a no win situation, and maybe the best you can do is get the dog out of the yard and hope there are no further problems with this particular neighbor.

Another thing, are you sure your chained dog wasn't barking and hooting and howling to the point where it was literally driving your parent's neighbor nuts?

My present dog does entirely too much barking when she is outside, but I am home almost all the time and can go out and stop her or bring her in. If your parents are away from home a lot and the dog is chained, there may be some excess noise really getting to the neighbor.

I'd talk to your parents before going over to see the guy. They probably have more ideas on how to proceed wisely. They probably know him at least a little, know of other crazy stuff he might have done, or know him to be a good guy in general. They may have had other encounters. All of that needs to be considered when deciding on a course of action.

VIP Member

re: Cuban, Are you advocating violence?

Quote Originally Posted by cuban11182 View Post
    Maybe I am old school, or maybe being raised by a Army Paratrooper, but if words don't work, sometimes other actions are called for. I'm not an advocate of violence, but some people don't respond well to words. This is based on what I was taught by my old man, and my 10 years of military experience.

That's what I would do, but I love animals.

(Flame suit on! I realize, I am going to get ALOT of flak for this)
    Are you advocating violence? I thought the owners here did not want participants to promote any illegal activity.

There is no way you can say, "I'm not an advocate of violence" and in the next breath continue,"but some people don't respond well to words." Effectively you are saying if words don't work use violence. That is just plain wrong. Maybe it worked as a childrearing tool in your home but it can't work here.

Besides the basic fact that resorting to violence is illegal, it is unwise.
    It would be an escalation of the conflict with the neighbor and then if things got out of hand you'd be unable to use SD as a defense of your actions.

Ok i just got back from his house. I don't know how well it went i got a bunch of bs about he thought it was a stray that was attacking his dog......right a stray on a chain. But i told him i have photos and have already called the police once if it happens again im pressing charges. i dont know if he will stop but i am goin to buy a video camera when my dog is outside that i wil angle to see my dog and the mans back porch.
    Morse

Ok i hadnt read the post when i responded but my father and the neighbor got into it over the yard boundries and cutting the grass. He came over raving mad sayin my dad cut into his backyard a few years ago, so we had to call the county so they could mark the boundries.
    Morse

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    There is no way you can say, "I'm not an advocate of violence" and in the next breath continue,"but some people don't respond well to words." Effectively you are saying if words don't work use violence. That is just plain wrong. Maybe it worked as a childrearing tool in your home but it can't work here.
    Maybe you're right, but it's just that my opinion. And I'm entitled to it, just like you are yours.

I didn't tell him to go next door and beat the snot out of him, but sometimes thats what it takes. If you want to think that peaceful negotiations is what it takes, then by all means do what you need to.

I'll still stand by my guns, and say that some people, some times, need a little bit of a butt whooping, every once in a while. Maybe I'm the only person that thinks that way. Or maybe I'm just not afraid to say it.

On a side note, my mother and father raised two kids so far. Myself, I'm a 10 year veteran, including that of a Foreign War. I am the oldest child. My younger sister, was a member of the IB program in our HS. Graduated at 17 and based on the scores she made on tests in HS, she started her first year of college as a sophomore. She graduated Valedictorian of the HS and Suma Cum Laude of her law school and is now the Assistant DA in one of the counties of NC. Granted that being her first year out of law school. My parents recently adopted a little girl and she is now 6.

BTW: My father (step) was a 22 year veteran as well.

So before you downplay the abilities of someone's skills in raising children, you may want to get the whole story.

On that note, I'm not going to argue with a peanut gallery and will leave with this. It is a nice idea that you can talk to everyone all the time and it will solve all your differences, I guess that's what makes you different from me. I'm not an optomist. That's why I carry a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by cuban11182 View Post
    Maybe you're right, but it's just that my opinion. And I'm entitled to it, just like you are yours.

I didn't tell him to go next door and beat the snot out of him, but sometimes thats what it takes. If you want to think that peaceful negotiations is what it takes, then by all means do what you need to.

I'll still stand by my guns, and say that some people, some times, need a little bit of a butt whooping, every once in a while. Maybe I'm the only person that thinks that way. Or maybe I'm just not afraid to say it.

On a side note, my mother and father raised two kids so far. Myself, I'm a 10 year veteran, including that of a Foreign War. I am the oldest child. My younger sister, was a member of the IB program in our HS. Graduated at 17 and based on the scores she made on tests in HS, she started her first year of college as a sophomore. She graduated Valedictorian of the HS and Suma Cum Laude of her law school and is now the Assistant DA in one of the counties of NC. Granted that being her first year out of law school. My parents recently adopted a little girl and she is now 6.

BTW: My father (step) was a 22 year veteran as well.

So before you downplay the abilities of someone's skills in raising children, you may want to get the whole story.

On that note, I'm not going to argue with a peanut gallery and will leave with this. It is a nice idea that you can talk to everyone all the time and it will solve all your differences, I guess that's what makes you different from me. I'm not an optomist. That's why I carry a gun.
    I'm with Hopyard on this one, and you are condoning violence again in the above post. While you are entitled to your opinion as we all are, you are not entitled to express it on this forum if it violates the rules that you read and agreed with before you started posting.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links