Used a "tactical" flashlight last night and won.

This is a discussion on Used a "tactical" flashlight last night and won. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went out with some friends to celebrate a girlfriend's birthday (Michelle is 41! ) at a local pub. Now I'm not a big drinker but ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Used a "tactical" flashlight last night and won.

Went out with some friends to celebrate a girlfriend's birthday (Michelle is 41! ) at a local pub. Now I'm not a big drinker but I wasn't carrying anything because I was drinking some, and can't carry in a bar anyway. I had a small Cold Steel pocketknife and a name brand flashlight with a strobe function. As our group of friends was sitting outside at a table a young thug-looking dude came up and sat down at the table, pulled out his phone and began asking said girlfriend, probably 15 years older than him (did I mention she's 41) for her phone number. Condition orange, but we politely told him it was a private 41st birthday party and nobody wanted to give thug-life their phone number. He got visibly upset, jumped up while grabbing the nice lady's wrist and started to get the ready to fight stance on.

And when I say we were polite, I mean it. We didn't get agressive or sarcastic, just firm. We were all mostly EMTs or Paramedics and Firefighters, some Lieutenants, a dispatcher. We are used to talking to people.

Anyway, I strobed his eyes and he got unsteady on his feet, turned to take a step and fell over. Some of the ladies who had stepped in to try to make peace had to turn away. Some of the pub staff came out and politely asked him to please take his business to another establishment.

And when I say politely, I mean they gave him the bum rush the heck down the street. I did notice that he was bleeding from the fall. He was still disoriented and was asking "where did the po-leeses come from". I assume from being confused by the strobe and the adult beverages. Later his friend came up and appologized to us. Seems he was having some hard times after getting fired for being drunk.....

All in all it was a successful 41st birthday for Michelle with only this minor event to break up the fun for a few minutes. I am reminded again why I rarely go to bars or drink to excess. As always your comments, criticisms, pithy remarks, or other thoughts are welcome.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Handled very well, and you are much nicer than I would have been.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Anyway, I strobed his eyes and he got unsteady on his feet, turned to take a step and fell over. Some of the ladies who had stepped in to try to make peace had to turn away. Some of the pub staff came out and politely asked him to please take his business to another establishment.

And when I say politely, I mean they gave him the bum rush the heck down the street. I did notice that he was bleeding from the fall. He was still disoriented and was asking "where did the po-leeses come from". I assume from being confused by the strobe and the adult beverages.

Great story and outcome. The mental imagery of the above paragraph cause me to laughout loud. Mind if I ask what brand torch you used? I don't have any that strobe, but after reading this story, that may change. Not that I really need any reason to buy another light anyhow.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Good job, 15. Well done, though hands on the lady probably would have earned some follow up to the strobe. But then again I'm old, short-tempered and not gonna risk "slow-learners"!

Stay safe.
    Bob

Showed him the Amber Lamps.

Good job I am impressed, Something I need to work on is a "fuze" extension. I don't think magpul sells these..lol...but nice work on your part..situation handled and no injuries
    Led By Love Of Country

haha. well done! yea, i love the strobe function on my flashlight. dang its bright!
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Thats great. Nice
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Great time to use some Mace and then a laugh while he squirmed everywhere!

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Now I definately have to get a tac-lite.

Quote Originally Posted by Tbonedemon View Post
    Great time to use some Mace and then a laugh while he squirmed everywhere!
    Cry while everyone in the pub squirms everywhere with faces on fire.

'Round these parts he'd a got marked up some for his effort. Nothin' personal though.

Quote Originally Posted by Moga View Post

Great story and outcome. The mental imagery of the above paragraph cause me to laughout loud. Mind if I ask what brand torch you used?
    Ditto...I literally laughed out loud.
    Very fun writing to read.

I have had for years a Blackhawk 'Gladius' and it was one of the first to come out w/ strobe feature.
    I've used it on dogs including my own and a raccoon...Strobe works for good momentary stun/freeze effect on the order of seconds.

Thanks goodness I've not had to use it on a human as yet.

- Janq

"Showed him the Amber Lamps." - NC Bullseye !
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

A strobe can cause some folks to have a seizure...great defensive strategy. My light doesn't have a strobe, but is bright as heck. Flick it back and forth and it will cause disorientation.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Senior Moderator
    I first thought that the strobe was a gimmick...

until a friend of mine bought the Gladius, with the strobe feature.

So naturally we had to know its capabilitys. It was very dark out, and I decided to see how it worked. He was in his patrol car and I was in my truck. The deal was that he pulled up behind me as if in a taffic stop and I would get out of my truck and "rush " him.

So, I do just that. I jump out and run right towards him. He hits the stobe feature and hit me right in the eyes, totally destroying any night vision that I had. I went to grab him where I thought he was and he had moved right behind me and grabbed me. After a short struggle he had me. The whole time I was fighting I literally could not see anything but a POP POP POP POP POP of that bright light burned into my retinas.

I thought that it worked so well that I went out and bought a light that had that feature to use on patrol. I figured that any advantage in a fight would help, and if you cant see who you are fighting you will more than likely lose.

It does take several minutes to recover and until then you really cant see that well. The various police depts. around here have been using them with great success. They seem to work well on drunk supermen who will have a hard time even walking when confronted with the light.

Its a great tool to have in ones bag of tricks.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links