storage ideas for a mossberg 500

This is a discussion on storage ideas for a mossberg 500 within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any option that keeps it away from kids, will keep it away from you too. It's a fact of life. I like the idea for ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: storage ideas for a mossberg 500

Any option that keeps it away from kids, will keep it away from you too.
    It's a fact of life.
    I like the idea for mounting it above the closet door on the inside of the closet.
    It's the last place people will look, but eventually, the kids will find it.

My dad taught me gun safety at a young age. We always had a shotgun around for hunting. (Back then you didn't need protection)
    I took gun safety as a fact of life, and never shot my sister.

2. Remove Ads

above the inside closet door sounds like a great idea.

i like the fact that we've had some conversation about the relationship between kids and guns here. at the end of the day, when we expose our children to guns is a personal decision that we have to make as parents once we've taken into account many factors and variables. i was exposed at what i think is a relatively young age - 9. i was at the range with my dad and his .357, .44 and .22. i would come home and spend as much time as i could taking them apart and cleaning them and had a lot of pride in maintaining them. eventually i started to make reloads.

the most important thing for me and my experience as a child with guns is that my father taught me a deep respect for them and with that a love for the sport. safety was always number one. i hope my boys will enjoy them as much as i do but with a 5 and a 2 year old, that's still a few years away. i'm not sure they even know they're in the house (locked in a safe) and i'm going to try and keep it that way for as long as i can.

there have been some great ideas here - thanks!

My two year old can climb, and is totally capable of piling up toys or pushing his wagon or stuff around to get to where he wants to go. After he climbed on top of the refrigerator while I was in the kitchen cooking, I gave up on altitude as a means of securing anything. Get a quick access safe big enough to hold the gun first. Then harden your perimeter a little so you can have time to get to it and rely on your handgun for the rest. Teaching the kids the rules goes without saying.

I would go with the biometric safe next to the bed. When you go to bed, open it up if you want and then reclose it in the morning.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

I was just looking at an all black Mossberg 12ga w/ a pistol grip on Sunday at the gun shop. The price was right and i was thinking it would fit nicely inside the closet above the door. We'll see what's left over from the tax return.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock23MI View Post
    I was just looking at an all black Mossberg 12ga w/ a pistol grip on Sunday at the gun shop. The price was right and i was thinking it would fit nicely inside the closet above the door. We'll see what's left over from the tax return.
    That's what I have and I love it. Look into the Blackhawk "Breacher's Grip". It takes all the shock off your wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    This may be an option Santa Cruz Gun Lock
    While that does keep someone from taking the gun with this, it doesn't seem to offer any trigger or action protection (unless I'm looking at it wrong?). The Mossberg LocBox does, but they're hard to find. I don't think Mossberg makes it anymore, which is a pity because it seemed to be a perfect solution to this sort of thing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links