storage ideas for a mossberg 500

This is a discussion on storage ideas for a mossberg 500 within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; have been reading a lot of the home invasion threads here and it has me thinking. any ideas of how to safely store and/or hide ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

have been reading a lot of the home invasion threads here and it has me thinking.

any ideas of how to safely store and/or hide my mossberg 500 so it's close to my bed? the catch is i have two young children in the house so i would like to keep it hidden from them. more importantly, in the unfortunate event they somehow find it i'd also like to make sure it's completely safe.

are there more options or would it be better to keep the g23 close and secured?

it's currently in a safe i have in the bedroom but i don't think it's realistic to think i'm going to get to the safe, open it and be ready for whatever BG might be coming through my door.

This may be an option Santa Cruz Gun Lock

Perhaps install a single gun rack or a pair of hooks above your bedroom door frame-too high for kids to reach but quick enough for you to grab on your way out of the bedroom.

A high-mounted gun rack will work - for a while. Until they figure out how to drag a chair in to the room to reach it (and they will). Storing your Glock in a small handgun safe on top of your dresser would be a better option IMHO. Find one that uses either a biometric (fingerprint) lock release, or a touch pad release, so you can access it in the dark. Then be sure to practice opening it in the dark or without looking. Stay safe!

Quote Originally Posted by 1776forever View Post
    Perhaps install a single gun rack or a pair of hooks above your bedroom door frame-too high for kids to reach but quick enough for you to grab on your way out of the bedroom.
    Not realistic in my opinion. Kids are VERY crafty and can get into things you would never expect them to be able to. Even if they can't now, it won't be long before they are old/big enough to get to it. IMO, get some sort of locking storage cabinet that you can access quickly and keep the key to it on your person. Otherwise, leave it in the safe. There's a higher likelyhood that a kid could hurt themselves with the gun than there is you'll need it in self defense.

I guess it depends upon how old the kids are. If they are 6 months and 2 years old then a high mounted rack would work for a couple years. After that and until they can be trained when and how to use the weapon themselves, a handgun in a quick action safe might be best.

MJK
    If they're mature enough in your opinion, take them to the range and train them. Start to finish - safety, cleaning, operation, loading, unloading, trigger control, sight picture, etc., etc. Let them fire your Mossberg as much as they want - and at least once into a watermelon to see what happens. I'll bet after a couple of trips to the range and some practice they'll be good-to-go with your weapon stowed in arm's reach and ready for action.

Then just watch out for their friends.

Quote Originally Posted by MJK View Post
    If they're mature enough in your opinion, take them to the range and train them. Start to finish - safety, cleaning, operation, loading, unloading, trigger control, sight picture, etc., etc. Let them fire your Mossberg as much as they want - and at least once into a watermelon to see what happens. I'll bet after a couple of trips to the range and some practice they'll be good-to-go with your weapon stowed in arm's reach and ready for action.

Then just watch out for their friends.
    they're definitely not ready yet - 5 and 2. i wasn't out on the range until i was 9 or 10 so we have a few more years to go.

great idea on getting a locking pistol box to put by the bed. that wall lock was pretty slick too but for the same money the pistol box will be nice to have.

AzB
    Put a solid core door on your closet and install a combination lock.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

The lock box

Mossberg sells a lock box for wall mount. I have one and it is great, go to Mossberg site and purchase online

Find a way to secure it. Then teach them basic gun safety etc. They aren't too young for at least a little lessons on safe gun handling. I grew up with guns in the house and because I was taught to respect them I knew not to play with them, show them off etc.

try the picture hideaway from Sportsman guide

Keep the Mossberg by the bed but keep the shells in a quick access gunvault safe.

Or, have it loaded leaning against a wall by your bed at night, then put it in a gun safe during the day. Despite growing up being around guns constantly (hunting just about every weekend during the various seasons), I don't think kids should have unlimited access to the guns until 18 or so (give or take depending on the person). All it takes is a 16yr old losing their temper and "forgetting" the rules one day when mom or dad isn't home.

I think it's important to make the child safe as well as the gun. I don't agree with the idea of "out of sight, out of mind".

When my son was three I took him out to the country and setup some targets so he could see the damage a gun does. I taught him that he was never to touch a gun until he was old enough and I gave him lessons on gun safety and shooting. It worked fine for him.

My grandson is now four and I have done the same for him. He knows the difference between his toy guns and a real gun. I have no fear that he will touch a real gun until he is old enough to be taught.

As for storage, this is where my Mossberg stays when not in the safe.
    Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links