Potential Scenario

This is a discussion on Potential Scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bark'n and NC Bullseye covered it well. My Bronco sits high enough with the stock suspension that two people could get into a "close contact" ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Potential Scenario

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Bark'n and NC Bullseye covered it well.
    My Bronco sits high enough with the stock suspension that two people could get into a "close contact" position underneath it, so I always look underneath and through the windows as I approach. If there is a van parked on the drivers side, it wouldn't have been there when I first parked, I will enter through the passenger door.
    Anytime I get into it, I press the power lock button and the door is locked as soon as I pull it closed.
    Just a small part of my normal SA.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    If there is a van parked on the drivers side, it wouldn't have been there when I first parked, I will enter through the passenger door.
    Anytime I get into it, I press the power lock button and the door is locked as soon as I pull it closed.
    Just a small part of my normal SA.

Same here.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

VIP Member
    Getting stabbed in the leg would be bad. Seriously though, who the heck would hide under a car? I can't think of a worse tactical position to be in. I would stomp a mud hole in the guy as he tried to crawl out.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Reverse, forward, reverse, forward, reverse, forward. Dial 911. Find an undercarriage car wash.
    Gets my vote.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I always park in the far-out empty sections of parking lots so I can have a clear view of anyone lurking near my car before I leave it and before I return to it. This way I can see under the car on approach, so if I see someone under it, I will stay away and call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by djz87 View Post
    Apparently, the BG will hide underneath a car, and wait for the owner to walk up to the driver side door.
    I don't know how likely this is. Certainly, it's tough or impossible with cars that sit low to the ground. Probably very easy with many of the minivans and SUV's on the road. Some are so large it looks as though one could walk below them without stooping.

Easy way to minimize the risk of this: If you're able to do so, approach your car from one aisle down, one car down. Even better, parking far away in the "empty" area (as some have suggested) works well, for this.

That allows you to be ~25ft away and approaching from an angle, ideally the driver's side. As you approach, be looking around the tires, searching for someone lying down there. Be sure to check the back seat, and then front. Then, unlock, get in, then lock the door behind you.

This procedure does three things:
    • Checking underneath from the next aisle: It's reasonably likely to show whether anyone is hiding underneath the car.
    • Checking the rear seat before entry: It's almost certain to show whether someone has already entered your car and is awaiting you from the back seat.
    • Locking after entry: It guards against someone attempting to quickly enter your car after you.

I try to do this whenever possible. Granted, not all parking lots allow coming from a distance and angle, but it's a simple step that can help alert you to danger if it's obviously there.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I hope I don't upset anyone by "bumping" this thread. I just thought since some people didn't think it was too plausible I would add a true story. My friend (a female) and her 2 guy friends stopped at a gas station in a not so nice part of town one evening to run in to grab a couple things. As they are walking back to the car (a Ford Escape), they get about 10 feet away and and a BG comes out from underneath the car with a gun and robs them at gun point. He only took their merchandise and wallets/purse and ran off thankfully. I just wanted to add the story as it is something that can happen. My car is too low for anyone to hide under, but I always walk past it and look around it to make sure no one is hiding. They shouldn't have stopped there, but it's something that can happen and apparently does.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links