Potential Scenario

Potential Scenario

This is a discussion on Potential Scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ive heard stories from several LEO acquaintances of mine who warned me about a something disturbing. Apparently, the BG will hide underneath a car, and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potential Scenario

Potential Scenario

Ive heard stories from several LEO acquaintances of mine who warned me about a something disturbing.

Apparently, the BG will hide underneath a car, and wait for the owner to walk up to the driver side door. They will then either grab the owners leg and pop out, or they will use a blade and slash the owners leg (ouch!). Then they are in an offensive position, and you are almost at their mercy.

I have a big SUV, so it would be very easy for someone to conceal themselves under it. I have even developed the habit of looking under my car before i walk up to it.

My question is, what if someone is there? What if i look down, and i see someone looking back at me. I'm assuming they are there to potentially cause some sort of harm to me, but i havent received a direct threat. What do i do next? Some potential ideas that i came across were:

-Shouting at him to get lost, but keeping a safe distance and my hands free.
    - Falling back to wherever i came from, and calling/finding a LEO. (This would most likely cause them to flee, but i would still have a LEO en route)

Any other ideas that you guys can throw out would be very helpful. This is apparently a growing problem, and i would rather be prepared with a plan.
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -Homer Simpson

Huh.

Well my legs/feet are pretty awesome weapons and I've used them before. It's not gonna be easy to get out from under either of my vehicles quickly.

And they're gonna have oil all over them if they're under the Explorer.

They'll be lucky not to get run over if they dont get out fast enough. Even if they slash my legs, I wouldnt just roll over and give up. That's my opener to use my (very accessible ) handgun.

But thanks for the heads up.

Now, if they have an accomplice waiting somewhere.....they are a good distraction....
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I may be wrong, but I think this is just an urban legend. I have heard tales of this since the late 80's. It's always someone's friend's brother's cousin heard about this lady that got her ankles slashed-bla bla bla. May God have mercy on the BG that is dumb enough to get under MY truck.

Reverse, forward, reverse, forward, reverse, forward. Dial 911. Find an undercarriage car wash.

Do the phone thing, but start it out with the phone off, saying Hi honey + what ever, then walk about while talking till you're out of hearing range. Then dial the LEO's. Maybe he'll hang around till they show up. Just stay out of range.
    Chinese Proverb:
    "When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others."
    VCDL member (DE.357;Ruger 4" GP-100 .357;Ruger 2.2" SP-101 cc hammer .357;BT .380cc.

Now this is strictly my opinion on the matter.

First of all, I would be more worried about someone hiding inside a van that has a large sliding side door parked next to your vehicle than I would be worried about someone actually hiding underneath your car.

That sliding side door on a van opens up suddenly and there is a huge gaping hole in which one or two people can easily jump out and abduct even a struggling and thrashing victim into, slide the door shut and be on their way.

Now, examine how confined movement would be for anyone other than an anorexic circus midget to maneuver in from beneath your average sedan, or even a crossover type suv. They are kind of a sitting duck if they are physically hiding underneath your vehicle. My Dodge Intrepid, I couldn't get a 12 year old boy underneath it without putting it on a ramp.

Now if you have a full size pick-up truck or a large SUV or any vehicle which has a lift kit on the suspension then yes, probably a person could hide underneath it.

So, what to do if you find someone hiding underneath your vehicle or the vehicle right next to yours? Take advantage of the opportunity to get away given the amount of time it is going to take for them to wiggle their way out from underneath. While we all know what they are doing under there, I would refrain from drawing down on them until they actually made a threat. However, you have to do what you have to do. If you keep your wits about you, you really have them at a disadvantage so capitalize upon it.

However, most definitely beware of mini-vans and vehicles with large sliding side doors parked next to you.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Drive a low rider or wear snake chaps. Your best options are the shouting and retreating as you suggested. I wouldn't hesitate to use pepper spray in such a situation. Prone and somewhat confined would be an awkward position to retreat from with a full face of spray. You could always say you thought it was a dog.

Senior Moderator
    +1 on what Bark'n said
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Reverse, forward, reverse, forward, reverse, forward. Dial 911. Find an undercarriage car wash.
    LOL thats funny i almost choked on my drink.
    Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty
    Walther P99 .40 S&W
    Romanian WASR GP 10/63
    Remington model 700 30-06
    Savage Model 62 .22lr
    Glock 19 gen 3 TALO

Both my wifes car and the van with running boards on it are too low for anyone to get under, and my Jeep is too high for them to get under and me not see them, so I am no conerned about this type of attack.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Let the dogs out of the back of my pickup to try out their new chew toy while BG tries to quickly get out from under it with two cow dogs knawing on his back pockets. While laughing attempting to tell the police officer what is going on without them thinking its a prank call. But honestly the dogs won't let any one in or under my vehicle, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    The best idea yet in humble opinion.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Now this is strictly my opinion on the matter. First of all, I would be more worried about someone hiding inside a van that has a large sliding side door parked next to your vehicle than I would be worried about someone actually hiding underneath your car.
    Very good point. Many years ago I remember reading an article about street life as a prostitute. The one thing that still sticks with me was her saying how none of the girls would ever approach a van from that side. I have drummed into my families heads for years the fact that if your drivers side car door is next to a parked van ...at the very least, get in quickly and alertly from the passenger side.

Quote Originally Posted by djz87 View Post
    Ive heard stories from several LEO acquaintances of mine who warned me about a something disturbing.

Apparently, the BG will hide underneath a car, and wait for the owner to walk up to the driver side door. They will then either grab the owners leg and pop out, or they will use a blade and slash the owners leg (ouch!). Then they are in an offensive position, and you are almost at their mercy.

Seems kinda dumb. they are not going to "pop" out from under a car. They might slwoly crawl out from under a car but what kind of tactical advantage would that give them. While they are crawling out the potential victim can leave, draw a gun, draw pepper spray, a knife, start kicking a face. Seems pretty dumb.
    You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JTCZ View Post
    I may be wrong, but I think this is just an urban legend. I have heard tales of this since the late 80's. It's always someone's friend's brother's cousin heard about this lady that got her ankles slashed-bla bla bla. May God have mercy on the BG that is dumb enough to get under MY truck.
    +1 to this, I've heard of something like this since the 1990s even in the service. I agree with some of the others, it would be difficult to get underneath let alone move or use a weapon from underneath a vehicle to do any type of damage at all to someone.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links