Another last night story...

This is a discussion on Another last night story... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just received a call from a good friend/employee. Details kida sketchy but anyways... Last night his wife was walking into her apartment with her sister. ...

Thread: Another last night story...

Another last night story...

Just received a call from a good friend/employee. Details kida sketchy but anyways...

Last night his wife was walking into her apartment with her sister. 3 people approached yelling something totally unprovoked. End result was them badly beaten, missing lots of their hair and without purses and full sets of keys (house, cars, id's with addresses, gone.). Prior to the incident she was borderline anti-gun. After realizing the dangers out there she is now in the market for a handgun. I keep telling them that she is lucky to be alive and that it is all about situational awareness and mental state, the best and biggest gun cannot replace that. She had mace in her purse and never tried to get it out. She said that it happened so fast she didn't have time to think even-though she saw them approaching. We are going shooting tomorrow so she can try a few out before she buys one. Hopefully this will remind someone out there to not let there guard down today, you just never know....

2. Remove Ads

I used to work within an hour of Saginaw...everything between Saginaw and Flint is a place not to be anymore. Glad your friends are O.K.; they could have easily been shot.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Good luck to her. Sadly they learned a lesson the hard way.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by jp4240 View Post
    Just received a call from a good friend/employee. Details kida sketchy but anyways...

Last night his wife was walking into her apartment with her sister. 3 people approached yelling something totally unprovoked. End result was them badly beaten, missing lots of their hair and without purses and full sets of keys (house, cars, id's with addresses, gone.). Prior to the incident she was borderline anti-gun. After realizing the dangers out there she is now in the market for a handgun. I keep telling them that she is lucky to be alive and that it is all about situational awareness and mental state, the best and biggest gun cannot replace that. She had mace in her purse and never tried to get it out. She said that it happened so fast she didn't have time to think even-though she saw them approaching. We are going shooting tomorrow so she can try a few out before she buys one. Hopefully this will remind someone out there to not let there guard down today, you just never know....
    Time to be on HIGH ALERT. The next stop for these scumbags may well be her home.

Shows how good purses are for weapons too, and not being able to get anything out of them quickly.

Why does someone have to fall into a pool of ice, before they believe it's cold ?

Well, good they survived. Bad, that the BG's got away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Shows how good purses are for weapons too, and not being able to get anything out of them quickly.

Why does someone have to fall into a pool of ice, before they believe it's cold ?

Well, good they survived. Bad, that the BG's got away with it.
    You also have the option of walking with such things in your hand (I used to on campus...pepper spray) or having your hand on your gun/spray in your purse....which I do frequently.

I have also practiced aiming and shooting from within my purses...but with a semi-auto, only expect one shot before having to draw and rack the slide. (I have also tried different angles for the holster in the purses, to see if there's one that will allow the slide to go back unhindered. Hard to say if it will really work IRL tho. Not bettin' on it).
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Hopefully, the next time should it happen, she won't fail to use her handgun like she did the mace.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

That's one problem I see with purse carry...that and the possibility of someone grabbing the purse and taking it away from them.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I have to second ep1953's line of thought.......those thugs have her ID and house keys.

I'd recommend new locks NOW! a handgun AND a permit quickly, and a self defense/gun class.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I'm glad their ok. I hope the first thing they did was call a locksmith to change the locks and such.

Your statement says it all, all the guns in the world will not help if their situational awareness is not up to par with it. They've got to be aware of their surroundings and be prepared.

Teach them well and to be alert.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

with as slow as she is a gun is the last thing she needs, she will shoot the next guy asking her for spare change or a light...

And if and thats a big if she is ever in another mugging she will probably end up being robbed and pistol whipped with her own gun.

She needs training and more training.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend...but she needs more than firearm's training. She needs a total mindset reset....hopefully she will understand that a firearm is not a talisman against bad things happening....nor is it a Jodi Foster movie. This, in addition to training...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Links