got put in my place, feel kinda dumb - Page 2

got put in my place, feel kinda dumb

This is a discussion on got put in my place, feel kinda dumb within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would have to think you learned alot from this incident, more than I could ever comment on. Thanks for your honesty and sharing it ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: got put in my place, feel kinda dumb

I would have to think you learned alot from this incident, more than I could ever comment on. Thanks for your honesty and sharing it with us. Glad nobdy was hurt. Stay safe out there!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

soooo, did you keep filming??? You did good, but I would have clicked off a few pictures of the guy, for evidence

Pop up the flash and click off a shot, while he's blinking and rubbing his eyes, take off
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Consider a white light tactical light for this kind of thing. I got that tip from another situation described by a member here. He shown it in an aggressive panhandler's eyes.
    +1 to this

I recently bought a Quark Tactical 123*2 light for EDC (every day carry) and this thing rocks! It has a blinding strobe that is perfect for the situation you described. It's totally legal anywhere, even on airplanes, and it fits easily in the pocket. I keep mine with me all the time, and I mean ALL THE TIME.

I usually have other weapons on me when allowed, but the light is just perfect for HARMLESSLY disorienting your opponent and giving you a few seconds to make a clean getaway.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Not a great photo, but . . .

MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

maybe it time to invest in a telephoto lens
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

I normally carry my CCW, A Gerber Gator as last-ditch defense, key chain Sabre spray (3 in 1, I think), and, if any chance of being in low light, a Surefire G2. And 2 smaller knives as useful tools for ADL's. If I'm in a parking lot at night, I carry my keys by the spray containeer, instantly available to spray or a striking weapon. I'm old; mess w/ me and I'll do my darndest to hurt you bad if I can't de-escalate.

Stay safe.
    And armed.
    Bob

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    'Nuff said, really.

Anytime. Anywhere.

I agree with ccw9mm, as long as you learned, that's the lesson there.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Hm - might not be a bad idea to invest some time in learning hand-to-hand skills. You can't always have a weapon with you. You can always be the weapon.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
    Pop up the flash and click off a shot, while he's blinking and rubbing his eyes, take off
    That's what I was thinking. The Speedlight flash I have for my DSLR is BRIGHT when put at the highest setting. Flash it in someone's eyes and they'll be incapacitated for at least a few seconds. Nice thing about it is that there's a button on it to set off the flash, it doesn't even have to be hooked up to a camera. Some Speedlights even have a strobe feature.

Bright is right. I flashed myself at the brightest setting and it hurt. I have a spot the shape of the flash head in my vision. It'd definitely stop someone in their tracks for at least a few seconds (especially if their eyes are night adjusted), hopefully long enough to get away.

I usually shoot without flash. Natural found light is usually better than aything you'll get out of a flash and I'm of a lower profile. I could use a longer lens, but when doing street photography I prefer the wide angle "in your face" kind of photos eg Bruce Gilden of Magnum.

But I'll certanly get a strobing light, man I wish they had those a few years ago, they would have worked wonders on drunk Marines.
    MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

Just a word of advise. This kind of thing comes with the job. I spent over 30 years doing freelance news photography on the street. During that time I was chased by pimps, threatened by felons on the lamm, threatend and assaulted by drug dealers. One of my friends was on assignment in Seattle, when a man walked up to him drew a 44MAG and shot him in the head, no warning. If you are going to do street photography you have to stay in a hightened state of awareness. You have to maintain awareness all around you at all times. It far to easy to get tied up in taking the picture and not see a threat comming. Some of the most dangerous people out there are Runaways, they don't want to be found. Many of the "homeless" may be escaped felons, runaway children, drug dealers or just plain crazies.

I was once threatened by a Rap singer because I didn't want to take his picture.
    He was surrounded by body guards and was upset because he wanted free press and I wouldn't take his photo. He asked me "don't you know who I am" I answered " I don't care."
    The thing is one never knows what will set off a person.

The awesome thing is there are so many bag companies...like maxpedition, etc that make cross body bags that will easily hold a nice SLR with room for extra lenses etc. They ALSO are equipped with places for a CCW, a knife, OC, and a Baton if necessary. Look in to one soon.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Well...lesson learned. Glad it wasnt anything serious, next time just throw some bird seed over your shoulder and make hime fight it out with the pigeoons.

Since you posted and since I have an opinion just absolutely everything...

The lesson-learned, to me, is definitely not that you should always be armed. The lesson-learned is that a group of people who share a bond, of almost any kind, is a potential threat. Homeless people, in my experience, are likely to share a common bond of living with one another under hardship, nearly always have among them a confrontational and mentally disturbed individual, and are IMO fairly likely to band together under confrontational circumstances.

Cameras also induce confrontation, all of their own. Many folks are far more than 'camera shy'; I used to carry an SLR with me almost all my waking hours, and there are quite a few folks who find being photographed extremely invasive, especially if they're in a situation of some kind. Where there's any chance the subject of the photo may feel he/she is being ridiculed through the artistic process...you run the risk of escalation. The 'People of Walmart' web site provides lots of examples where use of a camera could really come back to haunt the photographer--parking lot altercations come to mind.

Recognize, avoid and prevent situations. Sounds like you did fine until you walked into someone's 'home' turf, so I'm just saying, make sure you've learned the right lesson. JMO.
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    National Mill Dog Rescue www.milldogrescue.org

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    cell phone...911...let him follow you and make as much noise as he wants...if you dont have a deterent with you the phone will either act like one when he sees you on it or bring someone into his life who will make him more miserable than he is...spring break police presence is pretty good so it shouldnt be a problem bringing some leo rain down on him with a call stating you are beeing physically threatened and are afraid you will have to defend yourself...

that or stand your ground and give him a foot in the nuts to remember you by when he tightens the gap...i wouldnt ruin the camera or bruise my knuckles unless i didnt have a choice...there are plenty of ways to make someone suffer without injuring yourself or costing you good money...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links