got put in my place, feel kinda dumb

This is a discussion on got put in my place, feel kinda dumb within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If he's got money for smokes he doesn't need my help...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: got put in my place, feel kinda dumb

If he's got money for smokes he doesn't need my help

2. Remove Ads

Just out of curiosity....If the guy did engage you and you had a non lethal retaliation via a pepper spray + beating, or a knife, or a baton and beat him silly, would be the next step? call the police? walk away?

Anytime you have to use force of any kind, you should notify LEO's. This will at least get your side of the incident documented, because you can be sure that the person you used the force on will be calling them.

Quote Originally Posted by HKtexas View Post
    Mace [and or a white light] would have cleared that situation up. In the end its just a homeless guy pissed off at the world, taking it out on you, trying to make himself feel big. You handled it well.
    Agreed very much.

Kudos to your firend as well for realizing this fool was just a fool and being able to walk it off rather than think to assault the guy for what is really nothing at all...But foolish words.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Take that!

As the youngest child in a big family my father told me something that seems to apply to everything.
    He said " Son take what you got left and do the best that you can with it."
    I am the father of 7 children and I now know the value of his wisdom. Seems like that's exactly what you did Great call!

Get a Maxpedition Versipack for use as a camera bag!

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    The awesome thing is there are so many bag companies...like maxpedition, etc that make cross body bags that will easily hold a nice SLR with room for extra lenses etc. They ALSO are equipped with places for a CCW, a knife, OC, and a Baton if necessary. Look in to one soon.
    Great advice jwhite75.

Check out the Maxpedition Versipacks for use as a camera bag.

I would recommend either a "Jumbo" or a "Mongo" bag.

They all have a dedicated pouch for carrying a concealed weapon and have sufficient padding for use in storing sensitive camera equipment.

I have well over a dozen Maxpedition products and swear by them. Plus they are one of our sponsors.

You can find the Maxpedition line of Versipacks here.

Check out mil spec monkey's review of the Maxpedition Jumbo here and his recommendation for use as a DSLR camera bag.

Check out all of mil spec monkey's reviews of Maxpedition's products here.

Mil spec monkey is also a photographer so he understands the features needed in a good camera bag.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I'm glad you and, your friends were not harmed. I always hate the fact that one of our members are put in bad situations. You did the right thing I wonder why this guy acted like he did? Oh well, I'm just glad all worked out to your advantage.
    NRA Life Member
    USCCA Member
    Scope Member
    New York permit
    Pennsylvania Permit
    Florida Permit

I was with you until I read this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Sailor View Post
    I could use a longer lens, but when doing street photography I prefer the wide angle "in your face" kind of photos.
    Seems you got in his face first and then he got in your's. I suggest you learn to take as good as you give. I'm not homeless, but it'd piss me off if someone was taking my picture w/o consent or even moreso, pics of little kids in my family (I know, this isn't what you were doing). They don't know why you are taking pictures. If it's your job, you're making money off of them and their situation and they have no control over how you use those pictures and don't get a cut either. Maybe it's time to think about how you approach your subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Anytime you have to use force of any kind, you should notify LEO's. This will at least get your side of the incident documented, because you can be sure that the person you used the force on will be calling them.
    This is why the light can be a great first step. If it works, you can leave and no further reporting is required unless you feel they pose a safety hazard to others.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I gotta throw a quick jab in there for having to move into condition yellow.... lol thats where we are supposed to live my friend!

(Im just giving you a hard time - I have a hard time staying in yellow all the time as well....)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

I once worked as a bouncer at a SoCal nightclub and it took me (195 lbs--in solid shape) and my larger partner (250 lbs--in even better shape) to subdue a 160-ish lb. Pillsbury doughboy high on PCP who'd just bitten off half a customer's ear.

Take that into consideration.

Use every advantage and assume nothing. Just because your adversary looks down and out is no reason to let your guard down. Street peeps often have a reduced sense of pain due to drugs or mental illness.

It doesn't require a weapon to prevail. A clear head and a survival instinct will often do.

Joint holds are also worth knowing against freaked out/drugged out peeps as they can overcome even the most severely out-of-control characters--more than mere punches or stab wounds.

P.S. I have to add that in the OP's scenario--as much as it hurts the man muscle--it might have been best to suck it up and apologize for violating the dude's "space". In the future, the polite thing to do would be to ask for permission to take their photograph. [Hell, that's what you'd do in most 3rd world countries, right?] Then, play it by ear if that doesn't de-escalate the situation.

He that skulks away lives to fight another day (i.e. a real threat).
    Don't forget to bow as the chariot passes.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post

Seems you got in his face first and then he got in your's. I suggest you learn to take as good as you give. I'm not homeless, but it'd piss me off if someone was taking my picture w/o consent or even moreso, pics of little kids in my family (I know, this isn't what you were doing). They don't know why you are taking pictures. If it's your job, you're making money off of them and their situation and they have no control over how you use those pictures and don't get a cut either. Maybe it's time to think about how you approach your subjects.
    Good advice.

If you desire safety, take your camera to Target and take baby pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post

I understand your point. And want to clarify that what I'm doing is perfectly legal and ethically sound. Anybody in a public area is fair game to be photographed, police officers, adults, kids, homeless people, anybody.

Only a very small percentage of people actually have a problem (or voice that opinion to me). Sometimes the opportunity to ask permission isn't there or asking permission before taking the shot will influence how that person is acting. So I typically shoot without asking,but not always. Like anything it depends on the exact situation. If they approach me and ask what I'm up to I'll tell them and show the photos, and hand them a business card with the offer of a free print of the photo I made of them. This is how I generally defuse any situation with "normal" people. This guy was obviously unbalanced and ignoring his insults and crazy talk seemed the best way to go.

I generally don't photograph homeless people, as they're kinda overdone in the photography world, and the photos of them become very repetitive. But occasionally someone will stand out.

I am aware of the risk this may place me in, and accept it as part of the job.
    MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Sailor View Post
    Not a great photo, but . . .

I would not go into a neighborhood like that, Period.
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

I would agree with using a telephoto lins (on a pod for stability). In the situation you were in I'd hand the camera off to your friend's wife and you two staying in between her and the BG....... And don't forget to zoom in on the dark corner to get a light reading before you shoot....... Just thought I'd throw that in, armchair photo bug..... Wish you success with your PJ........ Just a thought... but you might bring this up for discussion in your class on the right methods of taking/invading ones space with a camera.... Not meant as a put down, just a practical discussion......
    Chinese Proverb:
    "When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others."
    VCDL member (DE.357;Ruger 4" GP-100 .357;Ruger 2.2" SP-101 cc hammer .357;BT .380cc.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links