got put in my place, feel kinda dumb

This is a discussion on got put in my place, feel kinda dumb within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; monk: you're right, we do have very interesting discussions on the legalities and more importantly the ethics of photographing people without permission. There seems to ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: got put in my place, feel kinda dumb

monk: you're right, we do have very interesting discussions on the legalities and more importantly the ethics of photographing people without permission. There seems to be a general concensus that unless the photograph comes of as disrespectful or harmful to the subject then it's fair to use said photo.
    Last edited by Laser Sailor; March 23rd, 2010 at 08:07 PM.
    MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

2. Remove Ads

Just b/c something is legal doesn't make it right, ethical, or moral; as far as any group discussing the ethics of getting what they want take a look at the tag line discussing the difference bwtn democracy and liberty.

Whether or not being photographed may be disrespectful or harmful can only be determined by the person being photographed - not by the photographer. For example, in some countries showing the soles of your feet/shoes to another is a very big insult. Americans think nothing of it, but to the other person, an American's viewpoint is inconsequential and they are still insulted.

I may be in the minority here. I think it ended well, because you got lucky. Armed or unarmed I am not getting within 4 feet of an belligerent. I don't care if he is in my way or not. That is asking to be killed.

Within 21 feet, a knife wielding assailant is likely deadly even to an armed man. You may of not known whether the aggressor was armed, but you knew full well that you weren't. Yet 4 feet. And probably much of it with your back turned after you passed him, and ignored him. OMG - ***??? I wouldn't have done that if I were armed to the teeth.

As a person who has had a lifetime aversion to being photographed I instantly thought the persons reaction might have been his way of making you stop. I have asked people not to take my picture before but was polite about it.

It also could be that you are correct in your assumption that the person was unstable.

Michael

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links