Shooting in the back - Page 4

Shooting in the back

This is a discussion on Shooting in the back within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by joker1 I would not shoot until he either says he's going to kill the clerk or starts firing. Otherwise seek cover, call ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shooting in the back

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    I would not shoot until he either says he's going to kill the clerk or starts firing. Otherwise seek cover, call 911, and be a good witness.

The c-store has insurance to cover their loss of money and you may end up shooting someone with an airsoft gun and be guilty of murder.

I feel like it is impossible to prevent every act of violence but if the shooting starts you can put a stop to it before it becomes a multiple murder or mass shooting.
    If it's a justifiable shooting, it wouldn't matter if it was an airsoft gun. Same as if the bad guys gun was not loaded.

Two idiots here tried to rob an insurance agents home office. The insurance agent grabbed his handgun and shot one of them. Turns out both robbers had airsoft guns. It didn't matter. They got charged with armed robbery, and the agent did not get charged with anything.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    While it would not be my first priority to get involved in a robbery if I didn't have to...once forced to make that decision, the warning would sound something like this, "BANG, BANG, and BANG!"
    This is my exact line of thought. You beat me to it. I wouldn't like it but if I were in the middle of this situation and the guy had a gun, I would shoot him in the back and sleep soundly that night. No warnings.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

It's a subjective call but if you decide to shoot in this scenario and you are to prevail...
    everything has to go perfect.

Watch Chapter - 15 - Freedom Broadcast Network

If the scum had a gun...he's made himself a lethal threat.
    I would probably shoot him with out saying a word, given the oppurtunity.
    If I waited until he shot the clerk or some else before I interevened, I could not forgive myself. 3rd party defense works in Texas.

There are many variables...Good question.
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Give it a shot!
    God so loved the world he gave his only son...
    Whoever believes in him will not perish but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16

W

Shoot him in the legs until he turns around to see what the problem is!

Remember that a shooting can easily cost you $10k in legal fees if you are not charged and the family doesn't sue you. It goes way up from there if either one happens.

If I'm in the store, I'm not LEO. I'm drawing and hiding and protecting myself and my family. When would I fire? If the robber starts firing or points his gun at me, or starts herding people into the back. Would I shoot him in the back? Sure, two there and one to the head, if I HAVE to. I'd shoot him anywhere I could hit him if it comes down to that. There would be no warning, either- if he crosses that line I'm not planning to take him into custody.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    While it would not be my first priority to get involved in a robbery if I didn't have to...once forced to make that decision, the warning would sound something like this, "BANG, BANG, and BANG!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    My job is to protect my family. Protecting myself is part of that (so I can continue to provide for them). Protecting the innocent clerk is a good thing, and I would like to do that if I could, but I'm not sure what is going on: UC cop making an arrest? A drug sale going sour? Since I can only tell with certainty what's going on with self, wife, and daughter (and presumably the other members at a church potluck), I'm less inclined to take on the responsibility in at least a partially unknown situation. Frankly, part of my overall self-defense strategy is to keep out of jail and lawsuits, so the clerk may be on his own.

Not to mention the bad guy's backup behind me.

Rough on the clerk, though. Not sure I would be happy with my decision afterwards, though it feels like the better of two rotten choices at the moment.

If they start to herd customers to the back, though, I do plan on taking decisive action (armed, unarmed, claws and teeth if need be).
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I'm not a cop. Apprehending criminals does not fall under my job description. My CHP didn't come W/ aBat cape. I'm not putting my butt on the line for the store's insured money.

Good witness.
    Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    If its my family, he gets a well aimed headshot w/ no warning.
    Anyone else, its time to take cover and quickly weigh the options.
    All of the above!
    Its not your fight unless he turns on you and yours...that's why I go armed.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

in florida you can pop somone if you feel their life is in danger. the dude doesnt even have to have a gun. castle doctrine. it would depend on your state of residence.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    In SC there is the "alter ego" rule that basically says your actions can be correct under SC law if you act on someone else's behalf as if that person is yourself. If a slime is about to shoot someone it is as if they are about to shoot you and you have a right to defend the other person as if you are defending youself, IF you believe and have a "reasonable presumption"that the other person is in "imminent danger of great bodily injury or death". Shooting in the back because a gun is on someone else and the slime is not facing you has many unknown variables that make this a tough call since it is possible, in any alter ego situation, that you do not know all the facts, since you are not the one having a gun pointed at them and you are not the one specifically involved in the scenario. Personally, 911 and being a reliable witness are my call unless I can truly and completely understand the circumstances and that means more than just seeing a pointed firearm. I could be wrong and it could turn out tragically--I could be right and all is well in the world--who is to say?

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    If it's a justifiable shooting, it wouldn't matter if it was an airsoft gun. Same as if the bad guys gun was not loaded.

Two idiots here tried to rob an insurance agents home office. The insurance agent grabbed his handgun and shot one of them. Turns out both robbers had airsoft guns. It didn't matter. They got charged with armed robbery, and the agent did not get charged with anything.
    Yup. same deal here in VA. Intent has a lot to do with it, not just means.

It's also legal here to intervene for a 3rd party when preventing a violent crime.

Whether or not I would I don't know. First off, if I see his back I have to be worried about the bullet passing through him and going places I don't want it to go. Secondly, if I don't kill him immediately he could kill the clerk or myself (shotgun versus a handgun in close quarters?).

I don't know what I would do to be honest.
    $cris@caferacer>wakeup.sh
    sudo apt-get install caffeine
    Password:
    Unpacking...
    Caffeine installed correctly
    $cris@caferacer>startday.sh

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by billfromtx View Post
    If the scum had a gun...he's made himself a lethal threat.
    I would probably shoot him with out saying a word, given the oppurtunity.
    If I waited until he shot the clerk or some else before I interevened, I could not forgive myself. 3rd party defense works in Texas.

There are many variables...Good question.
    if it resulted in the bg pulling the trigger and killing the clerk in reflex how would you feel then?...

everybody here realizes in many cases it takes multiple shots to actually stop a person from functioning dont they?...

you make a sound and he turns toward you...now that youre threatened you feel you can take the shot...he is already drawing a bead on you...it may take several shots to stop him...how good do you think you are and how many bullets are you willing to take?...

you are in a convenience store and youre talking about carefully aimed shots and throwing cans around to distract?...how far do you think you are away and what makes you think your movements arent more apparent than you believe?...unless of course you are a ninja...

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    if it resulted in the bg pulling the trigger and killing the clerk in reflex how would you feel then?...

everybody here realizes in many cases it takes multiple shots to actually stop a person from functioning dont they?...

you make a sound and he turns toward you...now that youre threatened you feel you can take the shot...he is already drawing a bead on you...it may take several shots to stop him...how good do you think you are and how many bullets are you willing to take?...

you are in a convenience store and youre talking about carefully aimed shots and throwing cans around to distract?...how far do you think you are away and what makes you think your movements arent more apparent than you believe?...unless of course you are a ninja...
    I get called a sheep and asked why I even carry a gun when I write this stuff.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

And as mentioned, dont forget the legal aspects, right or wrong.

The guy in VA that was drinking coffee naked in his own house, and woman and child cutting thru his property saw him and reported him to the police?......he was found innocent of indecent exposure, but still lost his job and almost cost him custody of his daughter.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I believe you need to take into account the legal aspects of coming to someone else's aid. Are you willing to bankrupt your family possibly go to jail for a stranger leaving your family alone to get by.

If after considering this if you still decide to take action why would you yell anything at all before firing? Doing so takes away some of the advantage you posses. Is it a sense of fair play or the fear of what a good prosecutor might do to you in court if he is anti-gun?

Michael

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links