Alligators

This is a discussion on Alligators within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by searcher 45 Well, what did she use on the gator? They say ole Danny Boone stared down a bear, maybe she charmed ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alligators

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    Well, what did she use on the gator?
    They say ole Danny Boone stared down a bear, maybe she charmed it to death. He does have quite a smile now, don't he.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Axemen,
    You just gave me an idea. My past experience.

Not shot any Gators, but shot quite a few hogs with 9mm, and some cattle before taking them to the butcher. It is more about where you shoot it then what you shoot it with. A good shot with a 9 should be fine. A bad shot with a 44 won't do anything. Practice more.

I got this from another post:

"Believe it or not , I have an Aussie friend who uses a 9MM Glock on their salt water crocs , needless to say she finds its performance 'underwhelming' and 'unreassuring' her words . Now she wants to trade me for one of my 357 Mags revolvers (It had to be on Australia's approved weapon list ) . Other wise a 12 GA shotgun loaded with slugs would be the ticket for me ."

I think in gator country, I am going to carry my Sig P220 45.

right... good luck out running a gator!

VIP Member
    I saw a guy kill a 10 foot gator on TV show Axemen,he had a 45 acp bang stick,he popped it right on top of his head in the middle behind the eyes and killed it deader than a door nail
    I saw that one too. The first shot FTF, and it looked scary as heck while he bumbled around loading the second one. I was thinking that if he had a .45 pistol, he could have ended that one much quicker and safer.

I saw a guy kill a 10 foot gator on TV show Axemen,he had a 45 acp bang stick,he popped it right on top of his head in the middle behind the eyes and killed it deader than a door nail
    I just finished seing that episode, I was just gonna mention it.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Considering Ive lived in florida most of my life and almost all the animal control guys use .22 rifles...You see where Im heading. Those that did carry a sidearm told me it was more for the Boars then the alligators, and the smallest caliber I saw them use was .357mag. I'd rather swim with alligators then see a boar near me.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Those photos of gators are something. Nice ... scales. That larger one looks to be a good 18ft with tail. What a monster. Imagine getting taken down by that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by cbp210 View Post
    ... gators were in the area ... what would you guys recommend?
    Situations are fluid when a predator higher up on the food chain is slurping up my catch as "chum." Makes me realize my claims to "predator" status are highly overrated.

"Fluid" situation indeed.

I'd go elsewhere. Leave 'em be. Probably better for both sides, all the way around.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cbp210 View Post
    I was fishing yesterday at the river sloughs connecting from Lake Houston to San jacinto River in the Dwight Eisenhower park. I carried my SIG P228 9MM with me. I was fishing and noticed that gators were in the area and talked to another fisherman and told me that he has fished here in the area for twenty years and recalls a gator coming towards him and snatching his fish catch ten years ago. I was wondering if I had an alligator encounter would a 9mm do the job? If not then what would you guys recommend? I would like to hear from the members in the southern states with alligator infested waters.
    Ah, I know the area well. Never managed to see any gators though. (Don't like boating/jetskiing through Lake Houston due to all the tree stumps.) But i have noticed the signs.

Alligators are actually slow when running on land. It's their initial ambush that you have to watch out for. If you manage to dodge the initial attack, then you can pretty much jog to safety. I've seen a few shows (Mythbusters for one) where they couldn't bribe an alligator enough to chase on land. They just won't do it.

If it came down to absolutely being necessary, I'd suggest you carry different ammo than you normally would for self-defense. If you insist on 9mm, maybe some +P FMJ?
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Those photos of gators are something. Nice ... scales. That larger one looks to be a good 18ft with tail. What a monster. Imagine getting taken down by that guy.

Situations are fluid when a predator higher up on the food chain is slurping up my catch as "chum." Makes me realize my claims to "predator" status are highly overrated.

"Fluid" situation indeed.

I'd go elsewhere. Leave 'em be. Probably better for both sides, all the way around.
    Unfortunately, all the waters which I love to fish are infested with gators. The catfish and crappie in the area are fantastic and hard to give up. I have not been harrassed but there is always that one moment just like the fisherman I've talked with about his previous encounter with the gator charging him and taking his fish catch. He only had one encounter out of his twenty years of fishing.

I'd be comfortable carrying a 9mm with FMJ. That's what I had with me the last time I was out and saw one. I've never come close to having to shoot at one though.

are you suggesting he go fishing with a small dog?
    -Jim

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Ask your local game warden what's best for shooting alligators.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links