Alligators

Alligators

This is a discussion on Alligators within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was fishing yesterday at the river sloughs connecting from Lake Houston to San jacinto River in the Dwight Eisenhower park. I carried my SIG ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alligators

Alligators

I was fishing yesterday at the river sloughs connecting from Lake Houston to San jacinto River in the Dwight Eisenhower park. I carried my SIG P228 9MM with me. I was fishing and noticed that gators were in the area and talked to another fisherman and told me that he has fished here in the area for twenty years and recalls a gator coming towards him and snatching his fish catch ten years ago. I was wondering if I had an alligator encounter would a 9mm do the job? If not then what would you guys recommend? I would like to hear from the members in the southern states with alligator infested waters.

Go fish in another area. Leave the wildlife be.

Quote Originally Posted by BigArn View Post
    Good in theory but he is trying to "catch" some of the wildlife. It is good advice, avoid fishing areas with bigger badder predators than yourself.

I don't know that an alligator stealing your catch would be a justifiable shooting, unless you had already prepared and eaten your catch. Maybe you could get some of them armor piercing, heat seeking, cop killer bullets the anti's are always whining about.
    I would probably feel safer with something bigger like a .45 acp.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by BigArn View Post
    I would love too but all the lakes and rivers in East Texas are alligator infested.

Exclamation buurp

A big ol Texas gator would eat you and your 9mm.
    U.S. Army Veteran

Senior Moderator
    http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat...w7000_1011.pdf

A person may kill an alligator in immediate defense of his or her life or the lives of others or to protect livestock or other domestic animals from imminent injury or death. An alligator killed under this subsection shall be immediately reported to the department.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Thanks, I am printing this portion as we speak. Thanks very much for the info. I knew that Texas are lenient in these kind of situations but wanted to know what is the recommended caliber if 9mm is not enough. I am especially looking for anyone who had an encounter with a gator and the weapon he used.

Quote Originally Posted by cbp210 View Post
    If not then what would you guys recommend?
    Find somewhere else to fish or RUN. You'd be very lucky to stop an charging alligator with a 9mm. I wouldn't bet on you even getting a good shot off. I've had one come up on me once in the 1970's down in the glades and they are faster than you'd think. Especially right at the water line...they train for that just like we do.

I'd prefer a 44 mag. but, we don't get to many gaters up here.
    I reject your reality, and insert my own.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I would carry Crocidile Dundee even though he specializes in Crocs he could handle a gator with just his knife.

But seriously something much bigger than a 9mm maybe a .400 casul or a one of those .500 BFGs.

VIP Member
    Gators! Wow! On the Great Lakes fishing is FUN not DANGEROUS!

I got startled once by a big muskie, but that probably isn't the same. -LOL!

I'd go with something with a little more umph than a 9mm.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

You could always post a sign, but since the gators can't read, it might not work. I do not think that a 9mm would have that much stopping power, unless you had a very well placed head shot. Even then, on a moving (towards you) target, that might be difficult.

That's my Yankee opinion, since we don't get too many of those up here.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Put fish in cooller,Live well,Ect. I've fished the Okeefinokee canal in Folkston Ga. More gators than you could imadgine in a 12 ft John boat with gators bigger than the boat. If you don't bother them they will not bother you!! ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

All about shot placement. I've been present when a .22 magnum was used to kill an 8ft gator from 60 yards away. To the brain, a 9mm will kill a gator no questions asked. The issue is, you're probably not going to be able to make a brain shot in a self defense situation. However, I would think 10 9mm shots to the body would make the gator think twice about the "easy" meal.

Also, I've duck hunted and fished Lake Okeechobee for over twenty years and never had one incident with a gator (knock on wood). When duck hunting, we are in waters, in the water.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links