"Nobody teaches you what to do when 911 doesn’t work.”

This is a discussion on "Nobody teaches you what to do when 911 doesn’t work.” within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; An article from NashvilleCityPaper.com that should be shared with the anti-gun crowd: The latest victim of the “Wooded Rapist” to testify recalled for a jury ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Nobody teaches you what to do when 911 doesn’t work.”

"Nobody teaches you what to do when 911 doesn’t work.”

An article from NashvilleCityPaper.com that should be shared with the anti-gun crowd:

The latest victim of the “Wooded Rapist” to testify recalled for a jury Wednesday how her shock and disbelief turned to prayers and cries.

Robert Jason Burdick is on trial for raping a then-29-year-old woman in the early morning hours of Feb. 18, 2000, at her Tusculum Road home, while the victim’s mother and three children were feet away in other rooms.

Prosecutors began questioning the victim around 11 a.m. Wednesday, after her mother had testified and been cross-examined by Burdick’s defense team. The daughter was expected to be back on the stand for cross-examination Wednesday afternoon.

On the stand, she described how she and her mother were bound with plastic ties and how their eyes were covered with duct tape. Although the two women were still in the same room, they couldn’t see each other. They spoke to each other, encouraging strength — until the man who wore dark clothing, a dark jacket and a ski mask struck the younger woman on the back of the head.

That’s when she said she realized “I should probably be quiet.”

Moments later, the man — now without his mask and gloves — led her to her bed, removed her clothes, tried to kiss her, told her it would be "the best she ever had," and raped her.

The victim testified that her attacker told her he knew her husband, whom she was divorcing at the time.

Asked if Burdick resembled a man similar to the one who raped her, she said, “His face, his mouth … the way I was kissed — all fits with what I remember.”

According to testimony, the woman awoke earlier at the sound of her mother’s scream, and when she checked on the cause, she saw the intruder with her mother before running back into her bedroom, locking the door and trying to call 911, only to find the phone was dead.

Asked what happened next, she said, “Prayer happens next. Nobody teaches you what to do when 911 doesn’t work.”

The woman said she opened her locked bedroom door out of concern for her mother, who said through the door, “Honey, he’s got a gun.”

Attacker told rape victim it would be ?the best she ever had? | Nashville City Paper: Nashville's Online Source for Daily News

2. Remove Ads

And there you have it.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Asked what happened next, she said, “Prayer happens next. Nobody teaches you what to do when 911 doesn’t work.”
    This will sound harsh and it's not meant to be anything more than truthful, but this is commentary by a person who was let down by their parent(s).

It's not up to schools, public service announcements, your church nor your friends to teach your child how to survive and what to do when primary system options such as 911 are not available.

This is one among a thousand things that are the work and job of a parent as related to parenting, before the child goes off into the world which is not always covered in clovers and dandelions.
    We got venus fly traps, poison ivy, sumac and oak as well as roses with thorns and kudzu too to deal with.

Teach your children to not grow up to become adult victims. : |

This is horrible.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Should have been a weapon in the house, one in each adult bedroom.
    A shotgun would have ended this in the appropriate manner.

Hard way to learn that 911 is not the save all of save alls. YOU, are your first line of defense.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Hard way to learn that 911 is not the save all of save alls. YOU, are your first line of defense.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Another victim of the '911/police are there to help/protect you' lie.

It's a terrible lesson to learn...I wonder if she did learn?
    "Brains before Bullets"

Sigh... kids should come with a to-do checklist. Thanks Jang. We taught our young son to run next door and ring the bell, scream, bang on the door and throw something through the window if need be to get the neighbors help.

This one was 29, in her room with a dead phone (presumably no cell), her mother held by the BG with a gun in the next room. She went out to help her mom which she may have saved from rape (not clear). Reading between the lines, I'll also presume she had no defense training on handling armed assailants holding your mother hostage. By becoming the victim both her and her mom survived and testified against the BG. It was terrible, but they survived.

So what should she have done given the normal mundane environment she lived in?

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    This will sound harsh and it's not meant to be anything more than truthful, but this is commentary by a person who was let down by their parent(s).

It's not up to schools, public service announcements, your church nor your friends to teach your child how to survive and what to do when primary system options such as 911 are not available.

This is one among a thousand things that are the work and job of a parent as related to parenting, before the child goes off into the world which is not always covered in clovers and dandelions.
    We got venus fly traps, poison ivy, sumac and oak as well as roses with thorns and kudzu too to deal with.

This is horrible.

- Janq
    I hate to disagree with you Janq because you are usually spot on and I enjoy reading your comments.

In my opinion 911 is a secondary system. YOU are your primary defense system.

This is horrible.

- Janq
    Excellent post.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar

This is horrible.

- Janq
    Well said.........
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Thats horrible for the family. I hope the dirt bag spends alot of time in prison and finds out what its like to get raped while he is there.

I do think people should think about what if 911 can't get here in time and what if for some reason I can not get a hold of them. I agree 911 is a great option but you need to be prepared for them not to get there in time. If one of them could have retrieved a firearm it could have been alot different. How did the guy get in?

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    I hate to disagree with you Janq...In my opinion 911 is a secondary system. YOU are your primary defense system.
    That is exactly what I am saying and have always said.
    You are not at all disagreeing with me.

911 is a service luxury...Survival is a mandatory necessity.

The vast majority of folks including these victims view 911 to be a primary system of rescue & survival, thus my use of that term.

Fact is as you state you yourself are your own primary but sadly very many people from childhood forward are told & taught to forgo that fact and pass on responsibility to hired third partys. Security, police, EMT and fire servicing.

Additionally many women and men receive no instruction and learning from their parents toward what to do, how to survive and what not to do as related to saving their own life...But those same parents will deem knowing how to ride a bike, drive a car, operate a computer and work a credit card as being mandatory.

Sad.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    I agree with Janq about 90% of the way. Unfortunately, because too many parents do not know how to protect their homes or themselves, they are unable to teach their children.

So, I think there are things that should be taught in school in age appropriate ways. Self defense classes can be substituted for gym; which has been eliminated entirely here.

I'm not talking just MA. I'm talking about everything from SA to inexpensive alarms, to non-lethal weapons and cell phone use. I'm talking about the value of snitching because the others not being snitched on are going to go on to do worse.

So yes, while this responsibility belongs at home, it belongs in school too.

P.S. Yesterday for about the 12 thousandth time I caught my wife leaving the front door unlocked. It was probably unlocked for 4 hours. No amount of talking to her can get through the message that it is too dangerous to take stuff like that lightly. Her defense for herself was, "well if someone wants to get in they'll get in anyway." I explained for the 12 thousandth time that if they have to break in I get a few seconds to call 911 and grab a weapon. The point here being parents should--as proposed by Janq-- be teaching this stuff but too many will not. (And my wife should know better because her sister was raped and badly beaten in a home invasion. Some folks never learn.)

Schools teach kids to use fire safety and to use extinguisher. When my son was in HS there was a mandatory CPR class--state mandated. SD shouldn't be the orphan.

How about this. Every school should have a range, a gun safety program and a target shooting program. It should not be for the purpose of interscholastic competition, but as an important part of general education.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links