Went into code red in Walmart parking lot today

This is a discussion on Went into code red in Walmart parking lot today within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was driving from Mobile, AL to Jackson, MS today and stopped in the Walmart store just south of Richland, MS on Hwy 49. As ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Went into code red in Walmart parking lot today

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar

Went into code red in Walmart parking lot today

I was driving from Mobile, AL to Jackson, MS today and stopped in the Walmart store just south of Richland, MS on Hwy 49.

As I got out of my car I noticed a "not so well dressed" man approach a lady pushing her shopping cart toward her car parked a couple of spots down from me. I could tell he startled her and I stopped to see what his next move was going to be. The whole time I had my hand on my LCP in my right front pocket.

She quickly turned toward him and told him to leave her alone, he tried to explain her why he stopped her, but she kept her distance from him. I stood there waiting to intervene if necessary, but she handled herself well and he took off across the parking lot approaching another woman as she got into her car.

I stopped inside the store entrance and asked the greeter if they had a security person and described the man that was approaching the female shoppers. They said they would report him to security.

After I finished my brief shopping trip, I pulled out of the parking lot and noticed the suspicious individual and another man crossing the highway headed toward another shopping center parking lot.

Just another day in Walmart's parking lot paradise!!!
    Proud NRA member

2. Remove Ads

Happy ending all around. Glad you stayed safe, and kept all your options open.

Maybe you should have called 911 and reported them going to another store? That way the police could have checked it out as well.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Being a good witness, and informing the proper authority...good moves!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Good for you being on top of things and aware. You're a model citizen. Wal Marts seem to be a place to exercise your code red awareness. But it could be anywhere. Stay sharp!

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    One of our five, or six, Wal-Mart stores has turned into an RV park and a temporary repair lot for broken down motorists

This has drawn a very seedy crowd who also hawk their "goods" and beg for handouts.

I don't understand why so many Wal-Marts have allowed their property to go this far downhill?
    ďI am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.Ē
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    One of our five, or six, Wal-Mart stores has turned into an RV park and a temporary repair lot for broken down motorists

This has drawn a very seedy crowd who also hawk their "goods" and beg for handouts.

I don't understand why so many Wal-Marts have allowed their property to go this far downhill?
    I agree they should keep their lots a bit safer.. but I kind of like the fact that they let a mobile home passing through a place to stop for the evening, and I am sure they are getting their business. Sounds like the police need to roll through that lot a bit more often.

My nearly exclusive reasons for setting foot in a Wal-Mart are to get the best price on Mobil 1 oil for my vehicles, or to get a hunting license. I really don't need to support the Chinese economy or to put my furry butt at risk any more than I already do!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Stopped in the local walmart the other day. It is probably the most dangerous area in town on some nights. They went from 24 hours to closing at midnight due to crime. When we pulled into the lot we notice the police "tree house" in the middle of the lot. It's a covered box complete with heat and air on a scissor lift. It has lights and loud speakers on it. It looks great but it's only effective if the officer has a well zeroed in rifle with him. It's the second time in a week I have seen it around Hickory. They bought it to keep tabs on the crowds at Octoberfest and I guess they need to justify the cost by using it. Walmart parking lots are always exciting.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Great report! Having a keen sense of situational awareness allowed you be on top of the situation. You observed what happened and you were ready to respond if you felt the situation needed it. Then you reported the incident to Walmart to have security notified.

Could have reported it to police directly when you observed him moving on to another target rich environment, but that's a learning point and nothing to be faulted for.

Good Job!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Stopped in the local walmart the other day. It is probably the most dangerous area in town on some nights. They went from 24 hours to closing at midnight due to crime. When we pulled into the lot we notice the police "tree house" in the middle of the lot. It's a covered box complete with heat and air on a scissor lift. It has lights and loud speakers on it. It looks great but it's only effective if the officer has a well zeroed in rifle with him. It's the second time in a week I have seen it around Hickory. They bought it to keep tabs on the crowds at Octoberfest and I guess they need to justify the cost by using it. Walmart parking lots are always exciting.
    Wow I love it, I wish my Walmart had one! Actually I tease my wife though because I am at Walmart so much. We were discussing maybe buying a new house in 10 years. We were driving through an area and I said, "We can't buy a house out here, its to far from Walmart." She laughed and said, "yeah you would never be able to make your record runs to Walmart and back"

The record BTW is 12 minutes from my kitchen, to Walmart and back to the kitchen, with the one item I needed. This was on Thanksgiving day two years ago. The item was a turkey roasting bag. We were supposed to be at my Dad's in 30 minutes, and we still made it.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You did it right: monitor and report. No physical threat toward her, so stay out of it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post

I am an "RVer" and in the RV community it is well known that WAL-MART allows overnight parking, and yes they do get a GREAT deal of business from us. In the mornings there is a steady stream of people going in to buy supplies, a gallon of milk, sandwich makings etc. A lot of RVers will seek out W-M to buy supplies even when not staying and another store might be closer just because of the courtesy

On a couple of trips I have encountered mechanical problems and sought out a W-M because I know I can get whatever I need there. On one occasion I was parked at the auto service entrance and went in to buy a couple tools I needed, when I went to check out the auto manager was at the register and told me I didnít need to buy tools, he would loan me what I needed

On the other hand I canít see allowing the parking lot to become long term camping and an outside bazaar that causes a loss of business. Overnight or 2 nights maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    My nearly exclusive reasons for setting foot in a Wal-Mart are to get the best price on Mobil 1 oil for my vehicles, or to get a hunting license. I really don't need to support the Chinese economy or to put my furry butt at risk any more than I already do!
    Sorry bud, but everything you wear is made over seas. If your not saving money and supporting the chinese economy, your paying more and still supporting there economy. Just check your tags and you will see what I mean. (all but your weapon)...As far as walmart goes, are local walmarts are not near any highways. So we do not have those problems
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    After I finished my brief shopping trip, I pulled out of the parking lot and noticed the suspicious individual and another man crossing the highway headed toward another shopping center parking lot.
    Assault of others has become a lifestyle with some of these idiots.

If the stories are to be believed, some of these putzes can bring down more cash in a year than a half of the working stiffs in the country.

"Hey, buddy! Can you spare a dime?"
    "Hey! Give me a dollar. Give me your money. Your money, #*@$! ... or I'll cut you!"
    My, how times have changed.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by RockStrongo View Post
    I agree they should keep their lots a bit safer.. but I kind of like the fact that they let a mobile home passing through a place to stop for the evening, and I am sure they are getting their business. Sounds like the police need to roll through that lot a bit more often.
    Our Wally Mart has hugh signs posted warning that overnight parking is not allowed. That policy, combined with a pro active PD, is probably responsible for minimizing transient riff raffs locally, which is almost non-existent. Don't get me wrong- our Sheriff isn't at the city line waiting for Johnny Rambo.
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my friend, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

NRA CERTIFIED RIFLE & PISTOL INSTRUCTOR
    PROUD NRA LIFE MEMBER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links