Workplace Violence Compliance Training - Page 2

Workplace Violence Compliance Training

This is a discussion on Workplace Violence Compliance Training within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Sticks I too am a mechanic, and I have stated at our annual employee meetings that everything in my truck can be ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Workplace Violence Compliance Training

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I too am a mechanic, and I have stated at our annual employee meetings that everything in my truck can be considered a weapon. Blunt things, heavy things, sharp pointy things, even a couple of projectile launchers.

All I carry are tools, and some of them were designed for very specific uses. I also have my required PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) as well as some additional optional ones - dual purpose - for additional safety.

At least at the last meeting I got the safety supervisor to state that a thing is a weapon if there is intent.

I'll keep plugging away at that policy to read "No illegal weapons
    ".
    ^^^^devious^^^^^^I like it^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Just say "baa" to the "instructor"...and see what kind of response you get. Or challenge him/her with questions like....what if we're led to a back room, what dowe do? Because in all of the press reportings, every time people are led to a back room, everyone is killed. So is complying with the BGs demands and not resisting a good idea? What kind of life insurance does the company provide in this case? How will you take care of my family? What is your complete name and address so my estate can include you in the lawsuit against the company for not protecting me and "training" me to be compliant.

^^^^I like it!!!^^^^^^^^^^

SIGguy229, I take it you are not a compliance manager for a large corporation anywhere

It makes me sick with all the litigious BS that dictates society today, but this is what we are left with, abunch of corporare morons rolling the dice with everyones safety.
    I think I'm getting ready to start sipping the kool-aid,I can't take this crap much longer

"When you were born you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die you are smiling and everyone around you is crying."
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Morse View Post
    I work graveyard at a gas station... No weapons allowed on premises by employees, oh and I have been robbed at gunpoint at the cash register. I have ran the situation over in my head a thousand times but i don't believe there is anything i could do but comply.
    Don't feel bad. There have been several robberies of gun stores (e.g. L.A.; Florida), with gun store employees armed, where they took no action whatsoever against the robbers. There is a lot of false bravado on the Internet.

I work graveyard at a gas station... No weapons allowed on premises by employees, oh and I have been robbed at gunpoint at the cash register. I have ran the situation over in my head a thousand times but i don't believe there is anything i could do but comply.
    i would gladly hand over the cash in a situation like that. insurance should cover any major loss. they cant bring you back to life. the gun is for personal protection, not property protection.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Money? Here. My life? Well, I *hope* have have the avocados to fight back, with ball-point pen, keys and bad breath if that's all I have. (Note: I always have those.)

No criticism, Morse. The criticism is for the corporate lawyers and insurance guys who require disarming in the workplace. In the best situation I would like to see you armed - not to keep the bad guy from getting the money, but for providing you with better options if he leads you to the back room.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

My workplace policy is use the pistol to get to the rifle then unleash hell.

I'm my own boss :-)
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

I work for a shooting sports wholesaler. Most everyone here is armed. There'd probably be more people wounded in the crossfire than people wounded by the actual badguys......
    Last edited by Cruel Hand Luke; March 27th, 2010 at 02:17 PM.
    Randy Harris
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Master Class IDPA SSP

TRAIN with me....http://www.suarezinternationalstore....px?find=harris

handing over the money wasnt an issue, in the case where i was robbed i had 62 dollars in my register, the BG didnt feel like this was enough, and that is what scared me most.
    Morse

"A lack of preperation on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine"

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    handing over the money wasnt an issue, in the case where i was robbed i had 62 dollars in my register, the BG didnt feel like this was enough, and that is what scared me most.
    Now *that's* scary.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

If anyone gets through all the security to get to where I work, they either a) are going to shoot me on sight, or b) want to use my knowledge for destructive purposes. I've made my objections to the pre-9/11 "How to Survive A Hostage Situation" clear. My preference is to borrow a backup weapon from the last guard there and set repel boarders. Armed resistance by me alone is not possible as it is a Federal offense for me to have a weapon at my work.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

You need to carry anyway. Those midnight places seem like they are always getting robbed. Get something small and concealable and carry anyway.

True. There is nothing about an overnight cashier job worth your life. Carry concealed, deep conceal, but carry anyway. Same with pizza delivery or other high risk jobs. You can always find another job.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

it really helps when your boss is your best friends dad and asks you to bring in your gun/s when he had a threat made on his life. he felt alot better when I brought him my 870 to replace the single barrel shotgun he had.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Not to sound harsh... but the lack of professional training often leaves one with very few options but to comply.

If I worked retail sales and didn't have the training I've gotten over the years, I would make sure I got some training quick.

It just doesn't sit well with me to leave my fate at the hands of a punk holding a knife or a gun to me.

I'm in control of my own destiny, certainly not gonna let some loser dictate it.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Complying might be an option (not always the best one, but that aside...) if the person is using violence as a means to get something else they want. But in most workplace/school violence scenarios I've heard about, the primary goal is to just kill a bunch of people (or a few specific people) before turning their gun on themselves.

Obviously, complying in a situation like that is the LAST thing anyone would want to do. I wonder what the safety trainer's response to that situation would be.

OK, I'll jump in. My company was acquired by a larger company a couple of years ago. I have looked for an employee handbook, and haven't been given one. I've looked at the HR bulletins online, and can't find an answer. Previously (before the merger), there was a statement about no weapons allowed on the grounds. There are NO SIGNS POSTED on the building. My thought at this point is deep concealed, probably an ankle holster (even though this isn't my first choice) for summer, IWB for cooler weather, "don't ask, don't tell" philosophy. Thoughts?
    What the **** - How did I end up on this soapbox again?!?!?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links