Workplace Violence Compliance Training - Page 3

Workplace Violence Compliance Training

This is a discussion on Workplace Violence Compliance Training within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by dgreen i would gladly hand over the cash in a situation like that. insurance should cover any major loss. they cant bring ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgreen View Post
    i would gladly hand over the cash in a situation like that. insurance should cover any major loss. they cant bring you back to life. the gun is for personal protection, not property protection.
    Would you really be willing to trust a stranger, who just stuck a gun in your face, to not shoot you in exchange for giving him the money out of the register?

Honestly, no bravado here, but I'm gonna do my best to shoot him first. It has nothing to do with the store's money or property.

Why do so many people think the BG's think like we do? "Just give them the money and they will just leave and life goes back to normal". How many crooks are also drug addicts and don't think straight ANYTIME??? Unless you are frisked or go through a metal detector daily, keep it CONCEALED!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    So, I am doing my stupid mandatory annual compliance training. (Of course, no weapons are allowed in the building.) I get to the slide entitled, "Guidelines if a [...] Weapon is Involved" in a violent confrontation, and see among the "strategies" suggested:
    • Follow instructions from the person who has the weapon.
    • [...]
    • Don’t risk harm to yourself or others.

I sigh as I think to myself, the nimrods responsible for writing and approving this drivel see neither contradiction nor irony in these statements...
    Sounds a lot like the "Common Strategy" in aviation for dealing with hijackers before 9/11/2001. That was in a nutshell, do whatever the hijackers tell you to. Didn't work out too well.

My plan is simple, and I told my superiors this during a staff meeting:

1) I am going to grab my Supervisor or any company executive who happens to be standing near me.
    2) I am using the one I grab as a human shield and heading for safety.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    My plan is simple, and I told my superiors this during a staff meeting:
    I like the way you think! I guess the best way to interpret my company's policy is that "the company" is there for my safety, and who better to represent the company physically than one of its outstanding management representatives?

“What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

When some ones shooting people should run and hide if not armed.Any body who stands there and awaits instructions is an idiot and makes a good target. Who ever write this this garbage will probably will be the first sacrificial sheep to be shot.

Everyone give the BG a death glare, pick up the closest heavy object, and throw it at him

I've seen a policy that says overhead page all of the big redneck guys to the scene, but they have to keep their firearms locked in their cars. Good plan, huh?

The other day, one of the big wigs came to tell me that she had a meeting with a male employee who was rather unpredictable and he had to go get his briefcase (which is way out of the ordinary for his job) before the meeting. She wanted me close by (we've gone shooting together before). I told her that was fine, but if anything happened she would have to tell him to wait a few minutes so I could run out to my car...and then all I could do would be wait outside for him after it was over.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    We are not allowed guns at work but we do have bearspray, when some oddball started showing worrying the lady at the frontcounter. I showed her how to use it. She was much happier with that then what the management suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Would you really be willing to trust a stranger, who just stuck a gun in your face, to not shoot you in exchange for giving him the money out of the register?

Honestly, no bravado here, but I'm gonna do my best to shoot him first. It has nothing to do with the store's money or property.
    The problem is the guy ALREADY has a gun in your face. Most people take at least, what, 1-2 seconds to draw and fire from concealment? Odds are pretty good you are going to get shot AT, and probably be hit. I guess you have to take a look at the guy and decide if you think the guy is going to kill you anyway Unless you have your gun strategically placed where you can surprise him, statistically speaking, you might be better off seeing how it plays out. I realize some people don't want to leave it in someone else's hands, and I can't really criticize that. I don't know what I would do in that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by HuttoAg96 View Post
    The problem is the guy ALREADY has a gun in your face. Most people take at least, what, 1-2 seconds to draw and fire from concealment? Odds are pretty good you are going to get shot AT, and probably be hit. I guess you have to take a look at the guy and decide if you think the guy is going to kill you anyway Unless you have your gun strategically placed where you can surprise him, statistically speaking, you might be better off seeing how it plays out. I realize some people don't want to leave it in someone else's hands, and I can't really criticize that. I don't know what I would do in that situation.
    You don't just stand there and try to draw your weapon with a gun in your face. That would be sheer folly. However, there are counter attacks which work, are proven in real life cases and very effective. One such counter attack which is perfectly executed is demonstrated by Tom Cruise in the movie Collateral during the "stolen briefcase scene." While some may say "it is only a movie," this is a proven technique taught in many defensive firearms courses all over the country.

While you step off the point of attack you simultaneously slap the bad guy's gun away from your face with the off hand. As you do that you draw and immediately fire from a retention position two rounds center mass. You then pivot, and using a two handed aimed grip you attack and engage the other bad guy(s) who are momentarily stunned an shocked.

This is nothing to play around with. You have to train for this situation and scenario until it is in your muscle memory. And furthermore, you need the guts to do it without hesitation. These techniques are taught in your advance level of defensive shooting courses. You are not going to even be exposed to this in your average beginners handgun course.

The technique shown in the movie is but one of many options. Other options is to completely disarm the attacker using both hands by trapping and then using leverage and the attackers body against him, and then go for your weapon after the weapon has been totally removed from his control. The Lindell method of weapon retention and disarming techniques which I used to instruct, there are literally dozens of techniques to disarm we teach police officers.

I watched a video of Tom Cruise training for the gun scenes for the movie Collateral with professional trainers. He worked hard but make no mistake, it's not an impossible feat to accomplish.

You can see the video on YouTube here.

I will say, it's a scene gun people will never get tired of seeing.

Just don't attempt this without proper training... That would be foolish.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    The Collateral scene has also made for a really fun stage at our local IDPA matches (with some modifications so the scenario comes out properly defensive and less like an execution )... I really like the fact that we do occasional retention shooting at our matches. There's no place else I would get to practice it.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Half my time is in my office (two doors) and half my time is out in my unit. I've got a 50/50 chance if work place violence breaks out that I won't be in the office (lucky for the individual, I have rifles in reach in there) though their only 22s, their semi-auto and will do the job.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

This makes me love my office. The owner, one of my bosses and one of the secretaries have their licenses as well as me. And one slacker who's taken the class but not put in his paperwork. ><
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Morse View Post
    I work graveyard at a gas station... No weapons allowed on premises by employees, oh and I have been robbed at gunpoint at the cash register. I have ran the situation over in my head a thousand times but i don't believe there is anything i could do but comply.

That is a brutal job.

If your state allows conceal carry and you have the license, if I were you, I would get another job. Until then, I would carry concealed regardless of the gas station rule.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links