Workplace Violence Compliance Training

This is a discussion on Workplace Violence Compliance Training within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, so I just replayed that Tom C. video about 20 times. Thanks for posting....

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Workplace Violence Compliance Training

Distinguished Member
    Ok, so I just replayed that Tom C. video about 20 times. Thanks for posting.

2. Remove Ads

I heard a rumor at work the other day that a video like that is on its way! I guess the only suggestion I will make is maybe offer the BG a cup of coffee so he or she is jacked up on caffine too!!
    God Bless the troops...especially the snipers!
    -LaRue Tactical -

Quote Originally Posted by Bandolero View Post
    There is a lot of false bravado on the Internet.

NOOOOOOO, say it ain't so
    You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    My workplace is a little bit different just because im an armed guard working graveshift at a medical facility, the only persons allowed to be armed on the property are myself and my supervisor who is only here for like 30 minutes a night. i look at it like this, if we have an active shooter, i would rather have me be the only person armed and taking down the shooter than have 30 people with ccw permits trying to take him out, and then creating a good guy vs bad guy identification problem for me. That is the main reason for many of these policies, if law enforcement or private officers are on site then you may be shot by one of us instead of the shooter, if your office has armed guards on site, i would not carry my own weapon, if it dosen't, bring as much firepower as you can. that being said im also hypocritical in that when i worked in an auto parts store that banned weapons, i still packed a 38 snubbie in my pocket

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I've seen a policy that says overhead page all of the big redneck guys to the scene, but they have to keep their firearms locked in their cars. Good plan, huh?

The other day, one of the big wigs came to tell me that she had a meeting with a male employee who was rather unpredictable and he had to go get his briefcase (which is way out of the ordinary for his job) before the meeting. She wanted me close by (we've gone shooting together before). I told her that was fine, but if anything happened she would have to tell him to wait a few minutes so I could run out to my car...and then all I could do would be wait outside for him after it was over.
    This is our policy at work also, and I am one of the big redneck guys. I am not that big, and I sure dont want to be shot. Concealed means concealed, I can find a different job, if the SHTF, if I am still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    My office has a workplace violence plan.

Effectively, it states "If it's the guy in the corner office by the copy machine, run. If it's not him, say out of his way and do what he says."
    Sikorsky?

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    My workplace is a little bit different just because im an armed guard working graveshift at a medical facility, the only persons allowed to be armed on the property are myself and my supervisor who is only here for like 30 minutes a night. i look at it like this, if we have an active shooter, i would rather have me be the only person armed and taking down the shooter than have 30 people with ccw permits trying to take him out, and then creating a good guy vs bad guy identification problem for me. That is the main reason for many of these policies, if law enforcement or private officers are on site then you may be shot by one of us instead of the shooter, if your office has armed guards on site, i would not carry my own weapon, if it dosen't, bring as much firepower as you can. that being said im also hypocritical in that when i worked in an auto parts store that banned weapons, i still packed a 38 snubbie in my pocket
    No offense to anyone in particular, but I've yet to shoot with a police officer, let alone someone in security, that made me feel SO GOOD that I decided to leave my weapon at home. If I trusted a security guard more than myself, I would hire one to be with my family.

As a side note, anyone that works for me is welcome to carry. Granted, I don't run a large corporation... A corporation is something standing on it's own, in a sense. Employees can be laid off by the dozens or hundreds. There's not much "personal" about one. Everything is in the numbers and when you are one of the many numbers on a piece of paper, it's hard to look at you as anything other than that. Absolutely sad, but makes sense why rules are what they are.

(Agreeing with the second half of the post above) I don't think that would deter me from carrying. I carry a 1911 under a button down or t-shirt with jeans and haven't been made in years. I imagine I could pull off a smaller gun under a suit, just saying. I might not come first to you, but I come first to me.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

This stuff makes me crazy....nice to know we are not allowed to protect ourselves if need be....stupid....
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by harley2007 View Post
    This stuff makes me crazy....nice to know we are not allowed to protect ourselves if need be....stupid....
    Well, it goes both ways, considering the employer's point of view. Also, how would you like it if a family member (or friend, etc) got shot at work by some idiot trigger happy co-worker who overreacted...and NEVER goes to the range to practice? Do you want to be around carriers like that in a close type situation, such as work? No? Well, that's why it's just easier (and really makes more sense) to ban carrying completely...from the employer's point of view. And, that's not even taking into account insurance considerations.

Quote Originally Posted by Morse View Post
    I work graveyard at a gas station... No weapons allowed on premises by employees, oh and I have been robbed at gunpoint at the cash register. I have ran the situation over in my head a thousand times but i don't believe there is anything i could do but comply.
    Morse, carry deep conceal or get in another line of work ASAP! More & more store clerks who comply are still getting shot. 2 recent incidents you'll find in the "Good, Bad, & Ugly" section, both killed. One clerk in KC, & a week later, a clerk (young kid saving for college) in Fort Worth that I posted. Just enter "clerk complied" in the search field, they are the top 2 postings.

I would rather survive & face getting fired for a self-defense shooting, than be in good standing with my employer & burried 6' under. Stay safe!!
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Funny I used to work at an elementary school as a chef. We had one of these safety compliance goofs come in and tell us about "safety" and our weapons policy. No knives, not even a tiny little pocket knife. Every day though I worked with a 13" kitchen knife.

Bug out and lock myself behind the heavy steel door that only I have the key to on shift.

Course I am management so the moron that is first contacted by the robber will surely ask me to come assist.

Makes me feel real good. But I am sure that the company will be happy to guarantee my safety on premises, or at least my wife's ability to pay off all of our debt with a bit left over after she lawyers up.

Wonderful thought.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    :)

"And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were married, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire..."
    Was that a red Swingline by any chance?----right----
    I'm going to have to ask you to go ahead and move your office a little farther back------ya---
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Quote Originally Posted by targus View Post
    Well, it goes both ways, considering the employer's point of view. Also, how would you like it if a family member (or friend, etc) got shot at work by some idiot trigger happy co-worker who overreacted...and NEVER goes to the range to practice? Do you want to be around carriers like that in a close type situation, such as work? No? Well, that's why it's just easier (and really makes more sense) to ban carrying completely...from the employer's point of view. And, that's not even taking into account insurance considerations.
    It's my thought that the reason CC is banned at almost all corporate workplaces is because of lawyers and corporate trying to cover their butts.

As for myself I would feel much better if someone in my daughter in laws office carried since she won't. I would like her to have some chance of being defended rather than just begging for her life or hiding under her desk.

this is the first time ive posted anything in awhile. i started a new job at walmart they got me working weird hours anyways reason i picked this topic to post is that when i first started working the first thing out of my mouth was asking what was the policy about employees carrying concealed exact words "can not carry or even be in your car" my jaw dropped because scenarios started going through my head "shooting sprees and hostage situations". so i finally came to the conclusion that if something were to happen sporting goods isnt to far from where they have me working i'll just run over break the glass grab a shotgun and boom good to go if i get fired for doing that then so be it especially with the means to protect myself less then 20 feet from me. sorry if im just rambling just ever since they told me all this i needed a place to vent without sounding like a whack job. lol as far as complying with a BG i haven't asked yet but i will be when i go into work here soon.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit" -Aristotle

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links