Defensive Carry banner

Workplace Violence Compliance Training

9K views 96 replies 60 participants last post by  Mike1956 
#1 ·
So, I am doing my stupid mandatory annual compliance training. (Of course, no weapons are allowed in the building.) I get to the slide entitled, "Guidelines if a [...] Weapon is Involved" in a violent confrontation, and see among the "strategies" suggested:
  • Follow instructions from the person who has the weapon.
  • [...]
  • Don’t risk harm to yourself or others.
I sigh as I think to myself, the nimrods responsible for writing and approving this drivel see neither contradiction nor irony in these statements...

#72 ·
Like when I see a security guard without a gun... what good does that do if someone walks in with a _________(fill in the blank with your favorite weapon, bat, tire iron, crowbar, etc.) into your business.:blink:

#9 ·
My wife is a compliance manager for a large company. As you can guess a lot of this has to do with insurance.

My wife had a three day course she had to attend for part of her getting a certain certification. The suggestions were basically to turn off all of the lights you could and to get under desks.

I asked her if it might help to set off the fire alarms ( yes I have watched Die Hard a couple of times) and she looked at me like I had lobsters coming out of my ears(yes I have watched A Christmas story a couple times).

Evidently thinking outside the box was not appreciated by the course instructor.

#11 ·
I asked her if it might help to set off the fire alarms ( yes I have watched Die Hard a couple of times) and she looked at me like I had lobsters coming out of my ears(yes I have watched A Christmas story a couple times).
please don't do that... fire fighter's job is dangerous enough without walking into an active shooter situation!

#10 ·
If anyone in my office were paying close enough attention to my attire today, they might notice the bottom of my spare mag peeking out from a leg pocket.. Recognize what that is, since it does say '40S&W 12rnd', and deductive reasoning would suggest that there is a firearm on my person that utilizes the mag.. :)

Sorry you have to deal with ridiculous rules.

#13 ·
I too am a mechanic, and I have stated at our annual employee meetings that everything in my truck can be considered a weapon. Blunt things, heavy things, sharp pointy things, even a couple of projectile launchers.

All I carry are tools, and some of them were designed for very specific uses. I also have my required PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) as well as some additional optional ones - dual purpose - for additional safety.

At least at the last meeting I got the safety supervisor to state that a thing is a weapon if there is intent.

I'll keep plugging away at that policy to read "No illegal weapons".

#14 ·
I work graveyard at a gas station... No weapons allowed on premises by employees, oh and I have been robbed at gunpoint at the cash register. I have ran the situation over in my head a thousand times but i don't believe there is anything i could do but comply.

#15 ·
Just say "baa" to the "instructor"...and see what kind of response you get. Or challenge him/her with questions like....what if we're led to a back room, what dowe do? Because in all of the press reportings, every time people are led to a back room, everyone is killed. So is complying with the BGs demands and not resisting a good idea? What kind of life insurance does the company provide in this case? How will you take care of my family? What is your complete name and address so my estate can include you in the lawsuit against the company for not protecting me and "training" me to be compliant.

#20 ·
My workplace policy is use the pistol to get to the rifle then unleash hell.

I'm my own boss :)

#21 · (Edited)
I work for a shooting sports wholesaler. Most everyone here is armed. There'd probably be more people wounded in the crossfire than people wounded by the actual badguys......:wink:

#22 ·
handing over the money wasnt an issue, in the case where i was robbed i had 62 dollars in my register, the BG didnt feel like this was enough, and that is what scared me most.

#24 ·
If anyone gets through all the security to get to where I work, they either a) are going to shoot me on sight, or b) want to use my knowledge for destructive purposes. I've made my objections to the pre-9/11 "How to Survive A Hostage Situation" clear. My preference is to borrow a backup weapon from the last guard there and set repel boarders. Armed resistance by me alone is not possible as it is a Federal offense for me to have a weapon at my work.

#26 ·
True. There is nothing about an overnight cashier job worth your life. Carry concealed, deep conceal, but carry anyway. Same with pizza delivery or other high risk jobs. You can always find another job.

#27 ·
it really helps when your boss is your best friends dad and asks you to bring in your gun/s when he had a threat made on his life. he felt alot better when I brought him my 870 to replace the single barrel shotgun he had.

#29 ·
Complying might be an option (not always the best one, but that aside...) if the person is using violence as a means to get something else they want. But in most workplace/school violence scenarios I've heard about, the primary goal is to just kill a bunch of people (or a few specific people) before turning their gun on themselves.

Obviously, complying in a situation like that is the LAST thing anyone would want to do. I wonder what the safety trainer's response to that situation would be.

#30 ·
OK, I'll jump in. My company was acquired by a larger company a couple of years ago. I have looked for an employee handbook, and haven't been given one. I've looked at the HR bulletins online, and can't find an answer. Previously (before the merger), there was a statement about no weapons allowed on the grounds. There are NO SIGNS POSTED on the building. My thought at this point is deep concealed, probably an ankle holster (even though this isn't my first choice) for summer, IWB for cooler weather, "don't ask, don't tell" philosophy. Thoughts?

#32 ·
Why do so many people think the BG's think like we do? "Just give them the money and they will just leave and life goes back to normal". How many crooks are also drug addicts and don't think straight ANYTIME??? Unless you are frisked or go through a metal detector daily, keep it CONCEALED!!!!

#34 ·
My plan is simple, and I told my superiors this during a staff meeting:

1) I am going to grab my Supervisor or any company executive who happens to be standing near me.
2) I am using the one I grab as a human shield and heading for safety.

#35 ·
My plan is simple, and I told my superiors this during a staff meeting:
I like the way you think! :image035: I guess the best way to interpret my company's policy is that "the company" is there for my safety, and who better to represent the company physically than one of its outstanding management representatives?

:rofl:

#38 ·
I've seen a policy that says overhead page all of the big ******* guys to the scene, but they have to keep their firearms locked in their cars. Good plan, huh?

The other day, one of the big wigs came to tell me that she had a meeting with a male employee who was rather unpredictable and he had to go get his briefcase (which is way out of the ordinary for his job) before the meeting. She wanted me close by (we've gone shooting together before). I told her that was fine, but if anything happened she would have to tell him to wait a few minutes so I could run out to my car...and then all I could do would be wait outside for him after it was over.

#42 ·
The Collateral scene has also made for a really fun stage at our local IDPA matches (with some modifications so the scenario comes out properly defensive and less like an execution :embarassed:)... I really like the fact that we do occasional retention shooting at our matches. There's no place else I would get to practice it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.